Suggestions for a 4x18650 hybrid thrower/flood

Astrolux MF02S

This is helpful information. I’m in no rush to buy this light, so I may wait for the initial MF02s tests to be done.

The lights still in contention are…

Acebeam K65
Astrolux MF02s
Haikelite MT07s
Haikelite MT09R (sheer power; runs hot)
Imalent RT70
Thrunite TN40s
BLF Q8 (might get one just to tinker with)

I built an XHP70.2 MF02 myself and it puts out 9060 lumens and 227 kcd
So if the factory MF02S will be 6000 lumens I estimate 180-200 kcd

Come on, 9000 lumen OTF? Doesn’t that sound too high to even be possible? Is it doing 11000 lumen in raw form?

I think your right that 1000m might be pushing it. The 900+ meter range sounds more accurate.

I get 830 meter in my smaller L6 with 6000 lumen.

Sofirn is actually working on an upgraded version of the L6 and S70 style light.

Comes stock with 70.2, hopefully 5000+ lumen, better user interface, 15mm bigger head, etc… We are looking for 1000 meters, but it might be 900+ meters.

I know Dr. Lightsworth isn’t looking for a 2 x 26650 battery light, but it would also be a good choice. No telling when it will be out, though. It’s still being designed. :slight_smile:

Yes. with freshly charged batteries, measured at start. at 30s it is more like 8000-8500 lumens. All springs bypassed in carrier and driver. My L6 with same led and fet driver was only 7800 lumens at start.

Thanks again everyone for your input.

After looking through a series of beamshots I realized that I could be more specific with my request, at least with regard to the ideal beam pattern. I am pursuing a light that has a fairly large hotspot, rather than a hybrid of throw and flood. A concentrated, wide throw beam is more desirable to me than having heavy spill with a focused dot of throw.

This is fairly similiar to what was originally requested, but hopefully will narrow the field.

How about the MT09R, it throws pretty far considering how floody it is. It spills less than others and focuses the light to the front.

Checkout the beamshot comparisons.

Dr. Lightsworth, you seem to be searching for the same type of flashlight like I do - a high output thrower. It is quite surprising that the choices in this segment are rather limited. For now I did my research but still did not find anything truly impressive, unless willing to break the bank:

Nitecore TM series - really expensive, only CW tint, no ramping menu, just fixed mode spacing. Perhaps the TM26GT would be an option, but is still rather expensive

Acebeam K65 - also expensive, the hotspot looks fine, great desing, but most beamshot videos indicate really ugly greenish or yellowish tint, probably a byproduct of the dedoming.

Thrunite TN40S - this would be my choice, but again rather expensive and would welcome if it had XHP35 HIs inside.

Astrolux MF02S and its Mateminco sibling - much cheaper than the models above, great design, should handle heat very well. Not so great mode spacing, no reviews yet, I keep an eye on this one how it turns out.

Haikelite MT07s or Haikelite MT09R - im quite picky design wise, dont find these aesthetically pleasing, probably overrated specs.

BLF Q8 - I have one and must say that this is a great general purpose light. Also great UI, price, NW tint etc. Just the throw is bit lacking, perhaps modding it to XPL HI would help.

So there you have it, if you have other models, feel free to throw them to the list.

My first thought was BLF Q8 as well.
(With coupon around 46USD)

TN40S is on XHP35 HI

BLF Q8 V 1.5

If you can wait a bit, that monster has the BLF Q8 DNA, but supercharged with an 8x18650 battery tube with carriers, and XPL HI, with phosphor bronze springs for higher output.