Suggestions: Host for a Nichia 219

That’s kind of what I was thinking…if I got an LED the size of a cantaloupe and used a manhole cover for a substrate I might have a chance. I tried working with a 16 mm pill a few nights ago and discovered my eyes are just not up to it anymore. My fingers still burn real good though.

Looked at data sheets and it looks like the 219 is 3.5mm square, while the xml is 5mm square. So it seems xml reflectors would work fine. I wonder if the spacer in the following build would put the led to low in a typical xml reflector:

Pretty sure OL uses the same XML tir for XML and Nichia mods. You just get a tighter beam with the smaller die Nichia.

This is what i decided on to build my first nichia flashlight.

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/edc-18650-flashlight-host-p-535.html

I converted a Trustfire TR-801 to Nichia and it worked great. Here is the link to my thread on it. It's a solid host, compact, and easy to mod with a great pill.

I’ve got a non working 7G1, needs a new driver. I could send you to practice your surgery skills. I don’t think it has reverse polarity protection (that’s how I killed it)

Review by gunga here

You can have it, Crelant sent me a new one (great warranty) even though I told them what I did. Not sure why I kept it, I haven’t got flashlight surgery skills

PM sent.

Are you still typing? I didn’t get anything yet

I was in the middle of it and Mr. FedEx delivered a brand new Niteye Eye40 to my door.

Ohhhhh niiiiiiiiiice. Pm replied :wink:

After I crack open the Crelant 7G1 CarpentryHero is sending me, I’ll need you guys to help me select a new driver. I’ll have to decide whether to give it a Nichia or try one of those XP-G2 neutrals.

The tint on the Nichia is great but it has a higher Vf which is a disadvantage with linear drivers. The output start to drop sooner. An XP-G2 R5 3D has much better output, a lower Vf, can tolerate a higher drive current, or run longer before dimming at the same drive current as the Nichia but because it’s not as hi CRI, the tint is more apparent. I like it but then I also like 1D tints. What I don’t like are the 3C tints that appear greenish to me. If you are going to push the output, I’d reccommend the XP-G2. If not, then go with the Nichia. My $.02.