Suggestions to buy a new 18650 Flashlight (UPDATE - Zanflare F1 and Sofirn SP32)

I also recommend zanflare f1. I have many lights and this f1 is very impressed. I have one in neutral white and had been using for a week… this light doesnt failed. The tail switch and side switch are works like a steel. You would normally pay $55 to $60 for the sane light in fenix or olight brand…

Zanflare, ever though about going big?? Maybe like 4 x 18650 light??

I also recommend zanflare f1. I have many lights and this f1 is very impressed. I have one in neutral white and had been using for a week… this light doesnt failed. The tail switch and side switch are works like a steel. You would normally pay $55 to $60 for the sane light in fenix or olight brand…

Zanflare, ever though about going big?? Maybe like 4 x 18650 light??

Now this sounds intersting!

Hey there!

@Lightbringer
Well, I went to the AliExpress store of Sofirn and I got a bit astonished! The lights’ quality seems pretty good, and the prices are awesome! They seem to have flashlights for any kind of taste and purpose!
And this is what is keeping me from ordering the Zanflare! I guess I’ll wait for NicolaS review and decide then. I got no urgent need, but I like to think well my decisions :wink:

About the Ultrafire DV-S9, I saw your review before starting this thread and it opened my eyes to a new kind of interface and light! And I really like it! I also went to search for more of these lights, and found the SolarStorm DX1 (AliExpress - Online Shopping for Popular Electronics, Fashion, Home & Garden, Toys & Sports, Automobiles and More.) in AliExpress, and some reviews of the StarryLight DXM!
And I liked them! The interface seems very nice, no blinks, good beam, allows regulation on the luminosity.
That may still be an option as well, but using a 18650.
I have 2 Panasonic NCR18650B, 2 Samsung INR18650-30Q, and 3 unbranded batteries that I use only in last resource.

Now I use on of my S2+ with a Samsung 30Q, and the other S2+ with a Keeppower IMR18350. SO, I have some “spare” batteries that I’d like to use, and that would be well applicated in a “home/backyard/walk” flashlight.

This way, if I opt for any of these ‘diving lights’ I won’t buy a 26650, as my other batteries will suit me.
In some way, these lights work in a more or less similar way of the Imalent DM21/DM21T I mentioned yesterday. But are cheaper :money_mouth_face:

Thanks for the tip! I’ll give it a second look!!

@Newlumen
Thanks for strenghtning the regards on the Zanflare. Thats is a real good option, and I’ll wait just a bit more to decide if get one!

These ideas of bringing light to the world are super cool, but they also bring tough decisions that one’s budget may or may not facilitate :person_facepalming: :smiley:

Thanks once again for everybody’s help :+1:

Those diving lights with magnetic switches are easy to operate but have a parasitic drain, must lock out by unscrewing a bit

Here is a link to my review of the Sofirn SP31:

Of all the lights I own, it is probably my favorite tint overall so far (I don’t own any Nichias … yet). Perfectly warm without being overly orange and no traces of green. It uses the exact same emitter that the Q8 will. The beam is very balanced and I like the up/down intensity UI a lot - it is the only light I know that does up/down steps. The only possible downside to me is that you can accidentally trigger strobe with a double-click. The timed stepdown from Medium is also unnecessary (but not an issue for me either).

Full disclosure: in the official Sofirn thread, numerous people mentioned a problem with the current batch of SF11s on Amazon. One person also mentioned a problem with their SP32. If you get a defective unit from Amazon, returns/exchanges are easy but if you are buying from another site…

Great review SoCalTiger, and wow for 15$ on Ali without battery and charger this is pretty much premium flashlight for half the price of Atactical A1S…. Cant wait to get mine! Probably next week…

Also when I was testing SP30 the moonlight mode was record braking 2000 hours with 3500 mAh battery !

Do you know if this problem is fixed? This looks like a cheaper price A1s it’s temping for 17 dollars on ali … the A1s works great knowing that , and it comes with a good battery it could be worth the extra money…the ui on the A1s is on with bottom click switch and change modes with side with memory its like a perfect ui to me… it just has sos in the cycle but you just cycle through that like the other brightness settings nothing fancy

No idea. Most of the complaints in that thread are for the SF11 although at least one person also had a similar problem with their SP32. The one good thing is that if you order through Amazon, a return is free if it is defective.

Don’t forget 2$ coupon on Ali store, if you decide to buy there. Also as I see both lights you mention above SF11, and SP32 are single electronic switch operated, so might be some problem with driver design…

Anyway SP31 is much more desirable to me since it has that tactical tail switch for instant brightness or moonlight for you to choose, and if you got 1000+ lumens with 2.5A on ncr18650B, might be some higher numbers with better High drain cell like LG HG2 or 30Q

Yea that’s why I really like the A1s because it has the tactical tail switch momentary on…damn for 15 dollars I guess I can take a risk, if it’s close to the awesomeness of the A1s that light is a homerun

Have you looked at the Manker U11?

Hi there!
So, after reading you, here are my sayings :slight_smile:

@TheMiller
Thanks for the tip! From the readings on BLF and some reviews I realized that there are those parasitic drains. In that case, a 26650 would certainly be better than a 18650, even being a small drain, right? In think those flashlights are really nice, but buying one of them I must take that into account! Thanks for the warning! :wink:

@SoCalTiger
Thanks for your review of the Sofirn! It helped a lot and it points out some things I wanted to know about the light! Its price is awesome and it made me consider a lot this light, besides really nice characteristics and operation mode.
The possibility of accidentally trigger the strobe, may be just a matter of practice, despite the flashlight itself. Still, the functioning seems to be very good with the up and down options :+1:
You said that there are some issues, but as far as I perceived they are not “major” fails, are they? If I decide to buy it, I’ll have to look to the place where I’ll do it! 15€ is not so much if it is a faulty light, but to have a return or repair guarantee may be important in this case! Thanks for the help, and the review, of course :+1:

@mezzmen7
I think that it is really good to get a good battery with the flashlight; however, I have some batteries that are really nice (I saw the tests and reviews on this forum) and I want to put them to use, So, concerning the A1S, it would be a bonus, of course, but it wouldn’t influence my decision.
The SOS in the main modes, it does influence as I wanted to have just the regular modes in the sequence, not the special or blinky. This doesn’t mean that the flashlight has less value; no, I just don’t need that in my regular sequence of use. Thank you for the information, though and…maybe you’ll get conquered by the Sofirn too :wink:
If so, please let us know your appreciation!

@NikolaS
When you mean the coupon you say the Ali store coupon, of a BLF coupon? Sorry, I’m newbie on this :zipper_mouth_face:
Concerning the batteries and the output, maybe the 30Q can extract more power, I don’t know. Either way, I guess that with both types (of batteries) I’ll be well served!
This seems a really good light, and if I order one, I’ll be tempeted to take a look to others they have on the store :person_facepalming: :person_facepalming:
Comparing to the Zanflare, the SP31 has less lumens and output, and the throw and range seem different as well.
The price, the operation mode and these specs are the differences that I must balance know…

@Lj~~_~~
You know, I have a Manker E11 that I use everyday in different situations and I love that light! Either on the 14500 or in a Panasonic Ni-MH I have. And it is awesome!
Some of the specs I posted in the beggining of the thread are inspired in my use of the E11. The first light I went to see was the Manker U11, and it has most of the things…except the price. It is sold out in GearBest and Banggod (that had it in sale a while ago), and in AliExpress it is more expensive (with or without batteries).
If there is a place to buy it on the 35€ or less, I may give it a try! But in the stores I saw it, it was above the 40’s…That’s a terrible downside! :cry:
With those values I would almost buy 3 Sofirn or 1 Zanflare and 1 Sofirn…
So, this may still be an option, but just if the values decrease a bit!
Thank you for the tip :+1:

And thank you all for the information and suggestions given so far!
Decision process is still in march to conquer…my backyard with a light :smiley:

Best regards!

I keep my DV-S9 “locked out” unless I need to use it. A quarter-turn or less is enough to lock it out via the tailcap. No need to unscrew it all the way or anything.

Any side-clicky-only light will also have parasitic drain, don’t forget. The magnetic-slider on the ’S9 is just tres kewl.

One reason I really like the Zanflare is because it doesn’t have any blinkies in its rotation, single-click or double-click (like my L2… damn). Blinkies just piss me off when they get in the way, and even when they don’t. With the F1, you need to press and hold it to get into Annoyance Mode.

Hum, I thought that to lock it we’d need to unscrew totally, as it has lots of threads and big spring. Ok with that!
I also didn’t knew that there are parasitic drains on he side-switch only :person_facepalming:
Thanks for the info!

Regarding the Zanflare, I’m aware that the strobe is not in the regular mode, and that is a big thing for me as well.
I’m just thinking about the use I’ll give to that light and see the pros and cons.
I recently thought that in the place I will use it the most I don’t have a battery charger, so the in-built charger may be a good thing, more than I expected. That gives some ‘advantage’ comparing with the Sofirn, that is the other one I’m more inclined to. That and the highest ouput…

Do you normally use yours with protected or unprotected cells?

At first, having blinkies at all was almost a dealbreaker. When I found that you needed to deliberately longpress it to get those annoyances, I decided I could tolerate it. :smiley:

Dunno the Sofirn, so can’t compare.

Unprotected, all except for 2 protected panny-Bs.

Protected cells have their own parasitic drain in the sensing circuit. Only cells I had that ever croked dead were protected.

As well as the other lights, I have guess that strobes and blinks will only be used in very specific situations. Not having them on the way is a real nice thing! :sunglasses:

I mentioned the Sofirn earlier based on what I saw on SoCalTiger review and their store on AE. They have other 18650 lights with the in-built charger, but not the on we’ve talked about here.

Hum, concerning the batteries, that’s ok as I normally have a 30Q that is used just when the other is empty, so it may fit there! Otherwise, I have the Panasonic, despite being protected.

And with this I’m almost assuming I’ll buy the flashlight :open_mouth:

If I do so, I’ll have to order it in GB as the european stores of Zanflare do not export to Portugal… :person_facepalming:

But…this is just in case I buy it! Eheh! I’m still seeing some aspects!

Thanks for the answers so far Lightbringer!

Fwiw, about the Zanflare F1…

That’s, like, damned good. :smiley:

Damn that’s a great deal. I paid $29.99 three weeks ago. $21 is super buy.

That does seem to be a problem with this torch, everyone is out of stock or more pricey. Although I do know Fasttech sell them and it can be had for $34.95 with BLF code, downside is sometimes you have to wait a couple of weeks for them to get it in stock before they ship it. I’ve had two U11’s from Fasttech and both arrived fine.
They are definitely my favourite compact lights for sure, I like them better than my zanflare, the matte anodising and form factor feel great to hold, and the amount programming modes and overall quality of these lights are insane for it’s price. :money_mouth_face:

Only thing I realised from the op list is it doesn’t really have direct access to the turbo, it does however have memory, so when left in turbo last you have access to moon light with short press and turbo with long press. :slight_smile: