Sunwayman D40A vs Nitecore EA41(or suggest me other similar lights)?

I’m looking to buy a 4AA thrower and these two are the top candidates based on specifications and budget.
I didn’t want to buy the EA4 before because I heard horrible things about the switch but seems they sorted that out now.
Some questions.

1. Which have the best throw?
2. Are they basically the same lights now? Looking at the switches, output, officially stated candella reading, runtimes etc, seems like they are using the same circuit? Or is nitecore just copypasting Sunwayman’s specs? Nitecore seem less reliable, like they state the cutoff for turbo is 20 minutes while it’s really is 3 minutes, like Sunwayman.
3. Does D40A have significantly better heatsinking? Seen some pictures of the thermal path on EA4 and its just a thin plastic piece?
4. Any other lights to consider? I’m aware of Eagletac GX25A3 and Jetbeam SRA40, but they are out of my pricerange.

Thanks in advance!

I only have the D40A, but so far I cannot find any fault with it. I really like the direct access to ‘moonlite’ mode, and the beam pattern and outputs in all modes is very satisfactory. I’d readily buy another.

From the numerous posts I’ve read regarding these two lights, the general consensus seems to favor the D40A although I’m sure both have their supporters.

D40A all the way!

I have them both, hands down across the board it the D40A is the better light.
The overall construction, switch, and UI are superior. The only way to beat this light is
if Sunwayman figures how to put a variable magnetic ring switch on it, also
Selfbuilt recommend Recommendations – Selfbuilt's Flashlight Reviews.ca

Lumintop SD10 for example? (Closed)-Group Buy-BLF Edition,Lumintop SD10.

I have both a D40A and XinTD X3. Despite the bigger head, the D40A is throwing further than the X3. When ever I want to grab a bright AA light, the D40A is my preferred light over my X3 with its better UI, mode spacing, efficiency and brightness. The D40A also allows me to use various diffusers to turn it into either a lantern or flood light. I can’t really do that with the X3, and I do believe the D40A is worth its asking price. Especially if you can get it for less than US$60 :slight_smile:

On a secondary note, I took my D40A for a two month trip to the Philippines and it was designated as my “bright” light. It worked flawlessly being used on a near nightly basis as a lantern, and as a bright search light in the very few times I needed it for that purpose.

+1 for the D40A. I have one and it is a fantastic light, I always recommend it to people that want a AA primary powered light.

How much are you able to get the D40A for? The Jetbeam SRA40 was only $65US until very recently at BG Group buy for JETbeam SRA40 AA light coupon code available now :). Maybe you can find a similar deal? The SRA40 is a great thrower.

The D40A sounds like an excellent light (I have only the F40A), but the switch’s bubbly cover and phillips screws look dated. Overall I think I prefer my F40A to the SRA40 (though my F40A has poor quality anodizing on the tailcap that shouldn’t have passed QC)—but as a thrower the SRA40 excels. Maybe someone with both a D40A and SRA40 can comment?

I managed to pick-up my neutral white D40A for $52.50AUD ~$46USD from doingoutdoor back when they were still selling flashlights. Unfortunately they no longer sell flashlights but I’m sure if you look around there are some good deals which can be found.

Have you looked at the Fenix LD41 ?

D40A sells for $ 62,99 at banggood

Thanks guys! I think I decided for the Sunwayman. I was mostly interested to hear how the throw compared between the Sunwayman and updated Nitecore. The updated Nitecore is an update in the right direction, improving previous shortcomings(better switch, moon mode etc) but it still seem to have bad heatsinking compared to D40A. I also like that you can manually lockout the D40A(on the other hand you don’t have the hassle with a battery carrier on the EA41).

@retiro675
Damn, that is a good deal for the Lumintop SD10! I forgot about that light, but ruled it out earlier since I wanted as much output/throw as possible, and the Lumintop seems to be more geared towards being able to handle any kind of batteries. Still great output(with the right batteries) but a bit below D40A/EA41. If i could justify it to myself, I’d get both D40A and SD10, because that is a great price. I hope the group buys goes through.

@Lightspeed
Thanks for the link! That’s also a great deal for the Jetbeam! I’ll see if it still works. I had ruled the jetbeam out because of the price. Damn man, now you are making me hesitate on the D40A. The SRA40 outthrows both D40A and EA41 with a margin, and the looks and finish is amazing. Although the lack of moon mode, any kind of lockout and a bit bigger size because of inbuilt(unwanted) charger.
I agree with you on the switch on D40A, it’s not pretty and the only thing I dislike with the light. F40A is a much better looking light overall, but it lacks a bit of throw compared with D40A going by reviews, and I don’t really need the multicolor lights.

@Wolf359
I haven’t really looked at the Fenix LD41, but I was of the impression it’s not really in the same class when it comes to throw? Can’t find any reviews with lux readings now though.

@M4D M4X
Thanks again, mate! I did find a good price at hkequipments too. They got a discount code(I’ll send it in PM to anyone who asks) of 15usd. Do you know which are the most reliable(warranty etc), hkequipment, banggood or aliexpress(they also got a good price)?

I have several D40A flashlights because they are so good and i have 3 LD41’s as well as i like the shape and feel of them.

Beamshots Lupine Piko TL MiniMax, BettyR, Wilma, Olight X6, Fenix TK70, TK45, LD41

Cap from the beamshot video of the LD41 this is the older Max 520 Lumens current version is Max 680 Lumens

To be honest you can not go wrong buying the D40A great light at a reasonable price.

Thanks, looks like a nice light, good beater light you use a lot, reminds me of the old Streamlight Propoly 4AA Luxeon(my dad still uses the one i gave him).
But I’m more interested in the “can” form factor with stacked AAs.

Lazarus, could you PM the code please?

Cheers

Nemas problemas.
:slight_smile:

Anyone heard anything about the Solarstorm 4AA light? I can’t find anything.

The Solarstorm 4AA could be the Starrylight SA-22, which had a BLF Edition. Very nice - inexpensive - well reviewed.

Still available at cnqualitygoods.com. Starrylight SA-22

Thanks for the link!

So it’s more of a Fenix LD41 clone? Looks like a nice light and bang for the bucks, but I was more interested in the more compact an stacked 4AA type.
But man, you gotta a lot of special BLF lights, and they all look really nice for a great price. I don’t really need more lights, but the price is very tempting.

Thanks! Now ordered! Somehow a Fenix HL50 managed to slip into the shopping cart as well.