Sunwayman D40A XM-L2 980 Lumens (4xAA)----- $49.99 Shipped ----- CW or NW --- EXPIRED

Thats interesting…

Oh, I was talking my dad into buying this monster at the current deal. He currently has a fenix e21. Is that the real deal??

And any estimate when this promo will end? My dad wants to be able to see it first in action and I have to wait the shipping of the giveaway I won from illumination supply :slight_smile:

It better be the right one, else bg is f*!

At this point, I’d be happy even with a fake one …. I’m sick of Back Order - Processing - Back Order…

Early reviews also show a gold label, so they have probably switched to white only recently. I don’t think this would be an easy to light to fake.

Mine is not fake. The build quality is every bit as exceptional as anything I’ve seen or read in any of the reviews, and the UI functionality is spot-on. The star even has a designation on it that relates to another Sunwayman XM-L light which is something else I’ve also noticed in other reviews. Seems like they get a bunch of LEDs put on stars for particular manufacturing runs and have a tendency to reuse leftovers in other products. Mine is a T21CS, and here we have a V60C designation instead: Review: Sunwayman D40A 4xAA XM-L2 Flashlight

Both are definitely model numbers for other Sunwayman products.

Got mine today it is the same as yours. Have you got a reply yet.

Not sure that sticker means anything. Mine shows “natural white”, but it seems very cool to me.
I still like the light though.

Neutral white isn’t really warm. It’s neutral. It’s easy to mistake for cool white unless you compare it to cool white, especially if you don’t have a lot of experience with different tints. And it looks distinctly cool when compared to any warm white compact fluorescent lights you might have in your home (which are usually 2700K vs the ~5000K temperature of your average Cree 3C neutral white tint), or wherever else. Cool white is typically somewhere ~6500K.

If you have a camera with a custom white balance setting you can probably figure it out for yourself if you really want to. Shine the torch at something white, point the camera at it, and adjust the cameras WB correction value until things look white on/in the LCD/EVF. This method is far from perfect for a number of different reasons but the margin of error shouldn’t be so great that it would prevent you from telling the difference between 5000K and 6500K.

I have too many lights to count. Many have unknown cool emitters, but a bunch have known emitters. I have replaced a ton of emitters with everything from 1A to 7C (orange). The D40A I received has a sticker that says “Natural white”, but it’s noticeably cooler than any of my known emitters. My 1A lights look tan next to the D40A.
I do have cooler lights, but those are the really cheap lights with the emitters leaning towards blue or purple tint that I haven’t gotten around to upgrading yet.

Does it have a [partly] red "Neutral White" sticker on the box as well?

They are working with me for a little refund. If they give enough money back to cover the cost of a replacement LED I will be happy. It’s no big deal to replace the emitter.

I have one of each, I can tell you without having them on side by side it was tough to determine which was which.

Well I guess that’s pretty clear, huh?

Anyway, the reason I brought it up is because it seems to make it a Banggood’s labeling mistake as it appears that Sunwayman put their own sticker on the box to identify the NW versions as well. Maybe that fact will help you in your efforts toward a resolution.

Good luck in any case.

You got me thinking. It seems cool compared to my other lights, but my old eyes aren’t what they used to be and I am biased to liking the warmer emitters. My favorite light uses a T5-5A2.

So I took a picture of the D40 between a Convoy L4, T6-4C and a Convoy L4, U2-1A.
The D40 seems cooler than the 1A to my eye, but what the camera sees is that the D40 is greener than the 1A. The 4C on the left is much warmer than either of the other two.
I locked my camera on daylight WB for this picture.

Left to right- 4C, unknown tint “Natural white” D40A, 1A.

Edit- I forgot to mention, I tried using a C8 with a T6-3C as one of my comparison lights, but the nasty PWM in the East-092 driver made for some funky pictures so I substituted the Convoy L4, T6-4C for the C8.

Edit #2- the reason I came back to this thread is because last night I took my D40A out for a walk and noticed that everything I looked at really popped- like it has higher contrast than my regular walking light. Leaves, grass, flowers, etc really stand out. I’m sure the slight green tint has some effect, but whatever emitter is in this light, whether it’s neutral or not, is staying where it is. I like how this light works outside.

Anyone not liking CW tint can give it to me, I like CW more than NW or WW :smiley:
LOL

got my d40a in today…cool white in the sku and definitely is cool friggen white…not impressed…I have enough cool white lights that I don’t use already…should have known not to buy…

The one I received is definitely neutral white. I compared it with my cool white version that I bought last year. I notice my label isn’t gold colored like the one pictured earlier in the thread.

I think the gold labels are older stock and maybe there wasn’t a neutral white option available at that point, so there was no need to label CW or NW. That would make it CW. The “natural white” label is from BangGood. Just speculating.