Supbeam X60 Group Buy - Interest and Discussion Thread - Dangerous problem discovered!

I’d be interested in your thoughts on the X60 vs. the D35. If this is too off-topic, would you want to PM me?

If the D35 is anything like the S1, they are in completely different performance categories.

The light is 5,000 Lumens but only 38,700cd really?

It's around 150-200kcd.

So the manufacture doesn’t even know their own specs on this light?? :~

See posts 679-682 here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/20770?page=2

Personally I feel grateful and also appreciate the effort you have put in to make this successful GB happen. However, sometime I just feel that you are a bit defensive and not so objective when forumers asked and comment on some short coming of this X60 light. Actually depend on what type of gloves we are wearing and personally I have some difficulties to turn this light in very smooth manner compared with bare hand. I have no issue with SRT 7. No offend, just my personal opinion.

Thanks, still a very pricy no name light compared to the TK75.

There’s some strong evidence Sup/Ace are OEM for Thrunite and most likely some other ‘names’.

As for Fenix I’ll never buy another of their lights. The X60 EATS the TK75 in every measurable and ergonomic metric.

Pricey? Not all for what you get especially considering the GB price is barely more than the TK75.

No contest.

Ahh I see now I was reading an old thread from 2013 before the light got in everyone’s hands; I confused that thread with this one when I logged back on; looks like I’ll have to look in one of these :slight_smile:

An excellent GB price for sure, but the RC40 is not as expensive as the link you provided, you can get the RC40 Domestic (USA) for about $100 delivered more than the X60 GB. I was on the fence because of this, but I don’t like packs, but after 2 mins the lights really become the same except maybe in build quality?

EDIT: come to think about it, in reality it’s really only a $50 difference because you must add $50 worth of batteries to the X60 whereas the RC40 comes with it’s own battery pack.

Great Job you have done! I and another BLF member that I work with use our lights every weekend! Truly a great light! And as far as the slippery battery tube, we found some o-rings the fit very tight around the 12 grooves on the body, not slippery any more!!! (2.5mmx30mm) :bigsmile:

Own both lights, both modded. For what it's worth, IMO, the X60 is the clear winner, if you're budget conscious.

The RC40 is of a higher quality, but not enough to offset the fact that it loses out significantly on turbo, or the battery pack.

Thanks for your input, I figured the Fenix was higher quality based on my TK75 BUT I can’t stand Packs; so in the end I went with the X60; was toying with the idea of getting both, but can’t really see a “need” to do so, unless I’m missing something here I’ve passed on the RC40 mainly cause of the pack, same reason I won’t buy the Olight one. Happy to hear you have both and can compare them in-hand and think the X60 is a better deal, if not I’d be trying to justify buying the RC40 too :Sp

Can I talk about modding it now? :slight_smile:

I just received mine. First impressions:

• mofo, it’s big. Even bigger than I expected after seeing comparison pictures of it. My XTAR D35 is pocketable, in a big jacket pocket. The X60, I don’t think so. I guess I’ll be using the provided strap.
  • it actually doesn’t feel as heavy as it looks, because it’s well balanced.
  • The control ring is not difficult to use one-handed, but for someone with dry hands like me, not easy either. My fingers slide on the control ring unless I squeeze a fair bit. The XTAR D35’s control ring is MUCH easier to use. Wearing snow gloves, it’s actually easier than bare-handed because my snow gloves have rubberized palms. Maybe it’ll be more difficult when they’re wet. I will be trying to glue or stick some big chunks of rubber or metal on the flat parts of the X60’s control ring. May not have success but we’ll see. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
  • Haven’t had a chance to test outside yet, but indoors, the spot is so bright on the wall it’s hard to look at it.

Update:

Now I’ve had a chance to take it outside. More comments:

• confirmed: it doesn’t fit in my jacket pocket. That’s rather annoying actually. When I stop to pick up dog poo, I don’t want to put the light on the ground. I’ll have to put the strap on it, but that’ll be annoying in a different way.
  • in my non-dominant (left) hand, turning the ring to brighten the light is fairly easy, but turning it in the dimming direction is less easy, and I’d actually say it’s a little bit difficult to knock it out of a “notch”. (I have dry hands)
  • carrying it in the arm-down position is very comfortable. It’s a well-balanced light.
  • compared to the XTAR D35, the X60 has a little bit more spill, which is good.
  • the X60 also has a slightly more neutral tint, again good.
  • the X60 also has a little bit more output and throw, but honestly it’s not much more than the D35. By the numbers, it should beat the D35 handily, but in real-world use, it’s just slightly better.
  • I didn’t notice the step-down, even though I was watching for it. It was a rough gravel road though, so the light was jiggling around.
  • After about 5 minutes on the “max” setting, the head was just a little warm. I’d estimate that tonight was about 11-12 C.
  • in my dry hands, the X60 body is somewhat slippery.

Batteries in both lights were equivalent, and fully charged.
Yes I did the comparisons before 2 minutes was up.

So, stop whining and mod a pocket. I used to carry a Brinkmann 5-3-2 in 5D format in a modded winter coat pocket. Very comfortable, hardly knew it was there.

Or else train the dog to hold the light while you scoop the poop.

Good idea, but it’s a gore-tex jacket. Not easy to mod.

Anyone using a holster? Maybe the hammer loop in a carpenters belt.

Yes, used it with a holster many times... the one that came with my Niwalker Vostro. It's an open design, basically just a nice loop.

Thanks for the idea InfinitusEquitas. That would do the trick. http://www.niwalkerlight.com/content/?266.html

Maybe this, with the top & bottom cut off: http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1328

Maybe a water-bottle belt, with the bottom cut out. Something like this: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7oaVJjBi8gQ/UiQAjxlNMfI/AAAAAAAABbU/t8w50Q3cVWA/s640/Belt-Water-Bottle-Holder4.jpg