Supbeam X60 Group Buy - Interest and Discussion Thread - Dangerous problem discovered!

She will let you know then i’m guessing to let us know?

Yes, I sure will! :slight_smile:

Another go-around via email was just sent back to Acebeam with my very long detailed retort.

Long condensed snip:

“Possible solution: Before assembling the replacement battery carriers, you must test each IC independently for termination voltage and group the IC’s to the closest .005 volts. Then select 6pcs IC’s from each matched group for installation in each carrier to guarantee that they will all terminate at the same voltage, or very nearly the same voltage. This seems obvious, so I fail to understand why this method was not chosen prior to assembly in all your flashlights carriers with in-light recharging capability, but I think this may provide a reasonable, inexpensive and simple solution.

So if you have 10,000 PCS - TP4054 IC’s, test each IC with a voltage sweep procedure to determine each individual IC termination voltage. Group each in a container to the nearest .005 volt. So… if you have 155 IC’s that terminate between 4.170 – 4.174 volts, mark a container “IC 4.170 – 4.174 V” and drop them in that container…. etc, etc. If you have 193 IC’s that terminate between 4.175 – 4.179 volts, mark a container “IC 4.175 – 4.179 V” and drop them in that container…. etc, etc. Make several small container and mark every .005 volts increments to group your IC’s. If you believe temperatures might effect performance while testing and grouping, keep the test environment close to the same temperature and limit the test duration of each IC to roughly the same amount of time. Use the same skilled competent employee for all your IC voltage tests/grouping, then remeasure each IC during another day to confirm the results are repeatable. Ambient temperatures did not seem to effect termination performance through my testing and each IC terminated at the same voltage regardless of ambient air temperatures. Again, read my BLF post.

If this seems unreasonable, then you must redesign your carrier to provide synchronous voltage termination while recharging in parallel. Good luck. Perhaps this could be accomplished with a warning that all cells much be at the same voltage before initially recharging them. I don’t particularly like that solution since large voltage differences might destroy other components in the carrier.”

Or we could just charge the batteries the old way…( which I always anyway) just my $.02

For now, cells should be recharged outside of the flashlight for all Acebeam/Supbeam flashlights, unless the user got lucky and has a light that charges all the cells within a close voltage tolerance.

I been doing that for now (using my i4) and charging cells out of the light until they can create a fix this problem for our lights.

Any update on replacement carriers?

CNY 2015 is history by now.

According to a very reliable source given just minutes ago, their engineers are testing a “new and famous brand IC”.

I already have 2 defective X40 carriers (which is basically a 3-cell X60) and both are defective. The original discharges one of its cells rapidly even when the carrier is out of the light, and the second and free replacement is defective in the charging department. Only one of the cells is charged when the green light goes on.

I just hope the carrier problem will eventually be solved.

Concerning all Supbeam/Acebeam flashlights with in-light recharging that DO NOT PROPERLY BALANCE CHARGE THE CELLS, please contact bella@acebeam.com and she will send you a new replacement battery carrier that will be mailed to you free of charge.

Unfortunately, Acebeam does not appear to be willing to group the TP4054 IC’s by termination voltage before assembling the cell carriers, so I doubt this will resolve the cell voltage imbalance problem; unless you happen to get lucky and receive a carrier where all TP4054 IC’s happen to terminate at or near the same voltage (there is one TP4054 IC for each cell that controls the recharging of that particular cell).

Once you receive your new carrier, please test it and report back here with your individual cell voltages after recharging.

So they’re working on an actual fix for this?

This seems absurd.

Costing themselves yet again by sending out ‘replacement’ parts that are unlikely to resolve the problem.

Are they not capable of realizing fixing this issue is the only option that makes sense?

I’m pretty confident they are.

Dear Customers

Thanks for your time and ideas to help us solve the problems mentioned here regarding the charging system.

We had been working to find the best solution. Our engineers have been doing tests (not finished yet ). I will post if there is updated solution.

Pls keep patient ! Thanks again !

Best regards

Bella

bella@acebeam.com

- Thank you for the reply. We will await your updates on the solution of the charging system problem.

Thats great news tatasal. Maybe they listened to me after all… hmmm. Lets hope the new carriers resolve the voltage imbalance problems and are carefully tested before mailing them to us. If the cell voltage imbalance problem is ever resolved correctly, we can resume the GB and feel better than someone isnt going to turn their light into a bomb.

Bella, please check your email. Also looking forward to your updates. Thank you for helping us!

Hi, I well read your e-mail now. Again, pls keep patient, we have been hard working on the best solution. I will post and reply you once the solution can be well solved and confirmed. BTW, I sent you e-mail on 13rd March mentioned* pls updated post to detele the GB*. You well get it ? Pls updated. Thanks again !

Hello Bella,

I will await your reply since there is new information. Thank you again for helping us! Also, please kindly thank your boss and management. :slight_smile:

Also, if Acebeam is successful with the new battery carrier design and can ship flashlights that properly balance charge the cells, we would very much like to reopen the X60 GB for our members. There are many people who want to buy an X60, but only if they can recharge batteries safely and correctly with the new carrier that you have mentioned.

Thank you!
Thank you!
:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I have 2 X40s, and a K50 (which IIRC has charging issues too). One X40 has been gifted to my son and not easily tested from here. However, he has no charger other than the inbuilt one, and isnt a flashaholic either, so it bothers me how this has turned out. Lucky he has protected cells in it.

Its one thing to come up with ideas for fancy flashlights Bella, its another to implement them without problems. This should have been noticed and corrected by engineers before even a single light was sold to the public. I mean, people here noticed the issues, how is it your ENGINEERS didnt? (no offence to anyone here). But kudos for looking for a solution, and by the last post by flashpilot, looks like there might be a suitable solution.

EDIT: Issues and solution re: X40 might need its own thread. This is a long thread, and might not be frequented by those who stayed out of the group buy for the X60.

I also have two X40s. While the second one has a defective carrier and also the replacement warranty unit, the one that I bought from the’s gb was trouble-free. I wonder what parts were used in its carrier.