: SUPER HIGH POWER 8 WATT LED LIGHT (CREE brand?), from Princess Auto.

Hi: This is my first post to this forum. The packaging of this light is confusing as far as which company designed this light and who manufactured it. The disclaimer of any affiliation between CREE and H.B. TOOLS indicates to me that maybe neither one wants to take responsibility for it.
This light has it’s pros and it’s cons. On the good side, this light combines almost everything I have been looking for in a compact flashlight. It is brighter than a Maglite, or any other light that I have found in this size. It slides into your coveralls or jeans pocket easily. The ladies might find it a bit heavy for their purse, but it will fit in all but the smallest one. It is ideal for my work as a driller at a coal mine, as I require 3 point contact when climbing off and on my machine (the lite stays in my pocket).
The rechargeable option with the #18650 lithium battery ( they come complete with it) is super. It never fails to amaze me how much power is crammed into these small and lightweight batteries. I work in an area where temperatures can drop as low as - 30 celcius, and they are unaffected by the cold. One charge can last me through my 2 week work schedule.
On the bad side: This light is not as rugged as it appears. It is less than poor in this respect. Any flashlight needs to be dependable. This one is not. The problem appears to be in the switch. The light will suddenly either flicker off, or go into the strobe or safety alert mode, or into the low power mode. Although a light tap on your knee will bring it back on to full power, this may be only momentary. This problem is most annoying, and will occur with a fully charged battery.
I have returned three of these lights to Princess Auto for replacement, for exactly the same problem. They have been great with no questions asked.
I hope that my love of this lite shines through the critcism of it and that the manufacturer will get it together and correct this problem.

Hi squamisheric, welcome to the forum.

Do you have a link or some photos you can post on this light?

Looks like a C8 with an XR-E

A common cause of the symptoms you describe is the switch in the tail cap coming loose. Often just tightening the retaining ring a little seems to correct the issue. There was a thread not that long ago about the “paper clip trick” that may also be of interest to you.

Hi squamisheric, welcome to BLF!
dchomak, that’s the one. Thanks!
I had the 5W version of that light. They are essentially the same light. The good thing about them is they are a decent host. I didn’t have the switch problem in mine, but it doesn’t surprise me.
User devdvr also bought one and rebuilt it. I bought it from him when he recently sold it. A very nice light when modded.
The battery that comes with it is right around the rated 1200mAh. I will caution you that even though it states protection PCB on the side, it does not have any protection circuit in there.
You can find much better batteries for good prices on Fasttech.com. Protected Panasonic and Sanyo cells are very highly regarded, and you can use the charger you have with them. If you get two weeks with that cell, you could go a month with a 2600mAh or 3100mAh cell.
I will also provide a link to a much brighter C8 that I have ordered and is on the way. The Convoy C8 from Fasttech. The Convoy line of lights has, so far, impressed just about everyone (three links) who has received one.
Hint: Fasttech has a coupon code for us; enter ‘BLF’ at the bottom of your cart to save 5% on flashlight stuff.
Again, welcome to BLF! We don’t just spend our own money; we help spend each others money too :wink:

Hi squamisheric, welcome to BLF

See how some of us flashaholics behave, more interested in answering a question than welcoming a new member!
It seems that Princess Auto is a Canadian version to Tractor Supply Company, are you in Canada?

We have both Princess Auto and TSC. TSC is farm oriented, Princess Auto is more Mechanic/machinist oriented, with a good amount of farm coverage too. of the two, I prefer Princess Auto.

i find a lot of princess auto is becoming cheap made in china stuff
so is every surplus store around though