Suspicious car... need a motion sensor LED light

to draw the guy to your house and then use cameras on poles to discourage him getting to the cameras.
If he’s on the driveway you pretty much know where the plates will be within the field of view.
Once he sees camera flashes he will go to easier, less risky, pickings while he worries about if he’s been “made” at your place.

What a hassle.

Where I am you cannot use deadly force to protect property and no booby traps that kill or wound.

I set up a microswitch under an axle to catch the guy that was letting the air out of my girl friend’s tires.
It was not a false alarm I got at 11:30 PM Friday night, but I couldn’t catch him. Either he ran very fast or he hid under the car.
By the time the cops got there they told me that vandalism means permanent damage so this guy would have walked, I guess.
Then he took to tipping over planters. We almost certainly knew who it was but I could not catch him in the act.

Ok, back from testing the two lights picking my stepson up from scouts.

The fandyfire stl-v6 has the edge over the defiant 3c super thrower. HOWEVER, there is more than just the throw. Both lights will do you fine for spotting a vehicle at 120 yards. I paced out from my house to the other side of the park at the end of our road (I’ll get some pictures over the weekend) the defiant is a very simple, civilian friendly light. Side switch, primary cells, one mode. The fandyfire is 3mode/5mode (loosen head ring to group change) forward clicky. The 3mode group is hi-low-strobe.

I dont like forward clickys, and my thought is what if your wife is spotting the subject car rather than you? I would say its better you or your wife is guaranteed to get high every time. You can always grab an stl-v2 if you want but I would recommend you get the defiant to keep near the door any way. It also offers the comforting heft that only a 3 c cell + light can offer, the stl-v2 feels like a toy in comparison. Mrs gords also likes the defiant, she keeps it upstairs if I’m working away. Same reasons as above. Simple and hefty. :bigsmile:

[quote=DimBulb]
to draw the guy to your house and then use cameras on poles to discourage him getting to the cameras.
If he’s on the driveway you pretty much know where the plates will be within the field of view.
Once he sees camera flashes he will go to easier, less risky, pickings while he worries about if he’s been “made” at your place.

R U HIGH? Lure him in? There is no fool proof security system. This is inviting disaster… Any thief with any skills at all will case the house and avoid the cameras. A air rifle is very effective at disabling cameras & very quiet. Thank god you can’t use deadly force… You’d have shot the milkman…. Lmao

[quote=JohnnyMac]

Not all C8s are great throwers. Some are better than others. I had a nice C8 that would really throw but it shorted out. The two newer UF-C8 have half OP half smooth reflectors and don’t throw nearly as well as my old one.

The Solarforce MPP-1 head is still the king of pure throw that I own. It doesn’t put out the same lumens as my other throwers but it is such a tight and focused beam that it throws every single lumen where you want it.

Hi, Dale. . .

Not high, just been there and done that.

From the Game Theory point of view all you can do is increase your odds of minimizing your losses; no absolutes, no certainty. And according to a book I happened to see in a Police Academy library half the crooks are never caught.

You know the difference between burglars and robbers, right? And Dr. Eric Berne has something to say about the professionals and those who play games.
Briefly, pros don’t move unless the fix is in. The others steal food from your fridge, relieve themselves in your bathroom and fall asleep, drunk, on your couch.

The best approach is to ask the cops what they recommend, then subtract out their ‘biases’ [also called, “What rules they are working under”] then do your research.

Ideally the OP would get a clear photo of the license, the car and the occupants, with a timestamp on the photo. What happens next is somewhat up for grabs. If you saw the original movie “Walking Tall” the whole state of TN is corrupt, but probably not as bad as NJ.

Thanks for reading my post. . .:slight_smile:

Was going to suggest an HID light, like the fabulous Stanley from WalMart. That would really put a blinding spot and make someone sit up and take notice rather than just putting some light on them with even a LED thrower…

but, also thinking your need is to have immediate light and the slight delay in getting the HID warmed up and OTF might not work too well.

And my experience w those yard lights has been not great. We finally ran AC, but we took a diagonal across the yard that reduced the run to about 175’ ft. We thought of 12v too w solar charger.

Check out Northern Hydraulics, since they do some rural & farm gear, Tractor Supply, etc.

[quote=DimBulb]

Hi, Dale. . .

Not high, just been there and done that.

From the Game Theory point of view all you can do is increase your odds of minimizing your losses; no absolutes, no certainty. And according to a book I happened to see in a Police Academy library half the crooks are never caught.

You know the difference between burglars and robbers, right? And Dr. Eric Berne has something to say about the professionals and those who play games.
Briefly, pros don’t move unless the fix is in. The others steal food from your fridge, relieve themselves in your bathroom and fall asleep, drunk, on your couch.

The best approach is to ask the cops what they recommend, then subtract out their ‘biases’ [also called, “What rules they are working under”] then do your research.

Ideally the OP would get a clear photo of the license, the car and the occupants, with a timestamp on the photo. What happens next is somewhat up for grabs. If you saw the original movie “Walking Tall” the whole state of TN is corrupt, but probably not as bad as NJ.

Thanks for reading my post. . .:)[/quote

I have worked as MP myself. For the layman, inviting any criminal in closer is a bad idea. Call in the locals, make sure they make their presence known. Theory & conjecture is just that… The books are only guidelines. Human behavior is unpredictable at best. No need to get any closer than need be. Just for safety sake.

+1

I live rural with a long driveway. I have 4 Mr Beams LED motion sensor lights on the drive and 6 more scattered around the house. Not extremely bright but drop dead reliable with excellent sensors. That combined with several discretely located Dakota infrared alarms, nothing sneaks up on me when I’m home.

I take it that large, hungry dogs are out of the question ?

Large and hungry is good.

Large hungry and pissed off is better……

i found these motion lights help keep people from snooping around your property

I was thinking about dogs myself… does a motion-activated dog bark machine exist? (And it couldn’t just be motion=bark after the initial barking… you’d have to put some sort of randomness in there.)

Saw a Fake TV light on Amazon today. $30. Has good reviews, can set it up on a timer or has it’s own timer to stay on for so many hours after it gets dark. The reviews said it looked real after you set it up correctly. Saw some fake dog barkers, reviews said you can tell it’s a loop recording.

Claymores are good. Fun, too.

The more expensive ones will. Some work over cell phone networks - these are expensive. Some work over wifi. The one I have is a run of the mill one that writes to a sdhc memory card. It will do still pictures or 30 second movies.

It will eat C alkaline batteries as mentioned. I run mine on an external sealed lead acid 6 volt battery, it will run a long time on that (probably 2-3 months, haven’t really tested it.) It will also run a few weeks on 4 good Nimh AA cells in the C size holders.

Yes, burglars avoid confrontation and robbers have a confrontation on every job. They are very different animals.

Speaking of claymores, the cops have a ‘nine ball machine’, a shotgun that fires 9 tempered steel balls. The author of the book Arrest-Proof Yourself claims that three shots from this will kill everyone inside of a car, so I guess it is a weapon of mass destruction. :frowning:

Good practical info in the home alone series.

Reading stories like this… Just one thought comes to my mind…

Thanks very much for testing these lights. I stopped by Home Depot today, but after seeing the Defiant 3C, I decided to look for something more practical with similar throw. The Defiant is simply too big and heavy. I don’t see any practical way to carry it, except to always have it in your hand. I know it’s popular on BLF, but it doesn’t appeal to me.

I picked up the Harbor Freight 60 LED solar motion sensor today. Tomorrow, I’ll charge it. I’m buying a Skylink motion sensor alert to tell me if someone is at the gate. If it works, I’ll buy a second one and use it closer to the house by the doorway. I’ll use my C8 clone until I can get the FandyFire.