Tell me why I shouldn't get the FandyFire L3

I have a $50 coupon for TMart from the OL comp.

I don’t have a ‘soup can’ style light, & the only multi-emitter light I have is a TR3-T6, allbeit with a DRY driver installed…

I don’t want to risk getting any of the ‘Tang/s power’ lights, as everything I read tells me they don’t have a proper pill for the LED’s. Same deal with the UniqueFire V10.

They still have a few SkyRay branded lights, but it’s a crap-shoot with them.

…So I’m looking at getting the FandyFire L3, & chucking in a few of my own $$ to make up the difference. It’s on special for the next couple of days.

There’s not a lot of info around about the light - only a couple of threads I could find here, & no disassembled shots of driver/pill.

Opinions on the L3 welcome.

LOL.. This is funny. We had similar themed builds. We won similar price. And we have been checking out the same light.

Ive been one step ahead though. I read the threads on that light yesterday. Saw that CNQ had the Solarstorm L3 on sale for 55$. Contacted Louis from T-mart and he kindly fixed the price/price matched. I placed the order on the L3 a few hours ago. And I used my 50$ coupon from the scratch build contest. :D

I did a teardown/mod on the Warrior here. Along with my impression. Not the same light, but might be somewhat similar. I suspect that the driver is quite different though. I plan to mod the light.

Not sure how I will like it, but never had anything like it before. Im happy with the Warrior. 55$ for a 7 XM-L light isn't bad. Especially if its built like the Warrior.

Thanks, just had a read through your Warrior thread.
Driver easily modded, & a proper pill/shelf. Looks good. Looks even better if I can find a cheaper one for a price match…

Normal price is 37,64$ from FT on the Warrior. Not sure if that is the best price. But its not bad.

55$ for an L3 is the best price I have seen on it(not including a special sale from WB).

Let me know what you end up buying and how you like it. :) Ill do a little report on the L3, if not a mod thread some time in the (distant?) future.

I’m leaning towards the L3. Nothing I currently have can match the potential runtime.
It might be time to order another 7 Noctigons….

L3 ordered!

Have you modded this one? It should be a lot easier to build than your K1200S, without the worries about frying the switch, although would have less output. The second button could be used to drive one of the emitters, maybe a colored emitter, or give it something the other emitters wouldn't have like ramping or a true firefly mode. It's a heck of a lot expensive too. Or if one of the emitters is designated for the second button, the other emitters could be MT-G2's if they fit...

Funny you should bring this up. I had mine apart on the bench for the last few weeks, trying to decide what to do with it.

I’ve re-flowed all of the emitters onto DIY DTP copper rounds, & played around with the driver trying to get more output from it, which seems like pi$$ing in the wind…

I’m also toying with the idea of replacing the reflector with 7 individual optics, which I have ready.

I’d like to keep the original driver for the feature set, but the output is pretty poor, & seven is a bad number of emitters to play with from a modding perspective.

Do you think there's enough room above the driver to piggyback a BLFDD driver? Is the switch surface mounted on the driver or floating?

The driver is a dual board ‘T’ shape, but there should be enough room to cram in a BLF DD. The switches are on a seperate board, along with the 4 battery indicator led’s.

It would be nice to keep the functionality of the indicator led’s, if that’s possible.

No, its in pieces. I planned it a long time ago. Last package with emitters are now at the post office. So I should have all parts for the planned build. But im too busy now to start modding this light. Other lights will have higher priority. I got some unique plans (which will require some time to execute). Ill share once the light is done (if it gets done), which may not be this year. Hopefully it will easily outperform the flashgrenade. I can tell you that MT-G2s will not fit.. Unless you modify the reflector a bit, which I may have done.. 0:)

Here are my three 6x18650 lights. Added the Warrior, SL3`s little brother, and the Fenix E15 (16340 light) for size reference.

I considered to make the SL3 into a "shorty". I think the battery tube is a bit ugly. Its a strange formfactor... RC40 and Retard light feels and looks more natural for me. But ill stick with my plans and see if I can pull them off....