Tenergy v Eneloops

IIRC HKJ has demonstrated that the Eneloop XX has a higher capacity but also higher voltage drop under heavy load as compared to regular Eneloops. On this page he has multiple Eneloop tests, I usually have to browse by picture though to find the various Eneloop / Panasonic / Fujitsu cells which are in this family.

Perform better? Data?

30% more than eneloop pro?

How many cycles can you get, how about internal resistance, how about losing capacity over time? How about lsd rating? How do they handle higher loads?

That's what we need to see when we talk about performance.

To each his own, but just saying they perform better when they are tested 1 or few times New out of the pack doesn't mean much at all. Consistent,long term testing is what is worth.

Nevertheless it's quite interesting info. Getting that amount out of a no name Chinese cell.

Tunirgy vs eneloops? I don't know. Not many test are out there, and especially no long term tests. But I think do the price they can be okay.

There is a guy on CPF , who has tested the eneloop 4th gen.AA. And got about 700 cycles when discharged at 2 amps, and charged with about the same amps. That's what I call long term testing, and good performance.

I.E. I won’t be able to use them in my parent’s thermostat & trust they will work for a full heating season. & fyi - they will only hold a charge for a few MONTHS & not a year as you mentioned.

I thought my 4 EBL AAAs were fine although I rarely used them, but one suddenly died on me and I had to throw it away.

Easy enough mistake to make, but the thread is about Tenergy, not Turnigy. Both brand names exist.

I dont know where EBL that the poster you responded too fits into the equation, Ive not heard of them.

There’s also 7dayshop (UK) own AAs (rebrands, unknown origin) http://www.7dayshop.com/products/7dayshop-good-to-go-aa-pre-charged-long-life-rechargeable-batteries-2150mah-4-pack-7DAYAAGTG2100 as well as a 2900 mAh version that is probably not LSD. I have no means to measure capacity but the 2150 mAh ones were ~1.31 V out of the box, 1.4 V fully* charged. The higher rated ones were ~1.25 V out of the box, haven’t used/recharged them yet.

*with 7dayshop LCD600 charger so I can’t say whether that’s their highest voltage or if the charger just terminates early. They didn’t get very warm, charged by ~0.25C (500mA) at 4xAA simultaneously (1A ch. current at 1 or 2 AA/AAAs).

Also mostly limited to UK: Contour, supposedly rebranded eneloops http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?\_odkw=contour+AA&\_from=R40&\_osacat=0&\_from=R40&\_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xcontour+AA+NiMH&\_nkw=contour+AA+NiMH&\_sacat=0

not picking on EBL because I have no idea what they are .. but my experience is cheaper cells like energizer or rayovac etc.. are ok for a while and then suddenly die .

That said i have some AAA kodak that are in my cordless phones that have worked flawlessly for about 4 years . << they were so cheap i had to buy them .

I always say . there are NO bad reports of eneloops / I've never ever heard anything but praise .

When there is that much positive and ZERO negative I think it becomes an obvious choice . Now we just need a deal on them .

One reason I don't like using this N.Lee guy as a reliable battery expert is ...he's never been seen on BLF or CPF or anywhere besides silly amazon reviews . Places were no one can question anything he says and surrounded by reviews from people who have no clue .

+1

No graphs, missing important details etc.. etc.. etc..

I just received a batch of Amazon Basics 2500 mAh LSD NiMH batteries. Listed as Made in Japan and comparing them with Eneloop XX batteries they look IDENTICAL IN CONSTRUCTION and made with the same parts. The bottom plates look like from the same stamping die and with the same finish as do the + button tops including the vent holes. Basically different wrappers and different color disks surrounding the button top are the only visible differences.

I agree, but that just means that you can’t take him as gospel - not that he should be ignored. Unless his 100 day storage test was done in a sauna I’d say it’s a useful test that most of us can’t be bothered to do.

For what it’s worth some of my AA Centura Tenergy’s discharged to 2188, 2482, and 2252 when I tested them yesterday fresh off the charger.

Voltage of (4x) 2150mAh 7dayshop batteries tested 27.09.’14 / 27.10. dropped from ~1.3925V to 1.3385. That’s 4.27% / 0.142 % per day so far. I don’t have test equipment for capacity.

What is the difference between the Tenergy Centura and the Tenergy blue batteries?
Thanks,
Jerry

Centuras are low self discharge (LSD) and are listed as 20% lower capacity though I have seen claims that true capacities are much closer to being the same. The blue Tenergy’s and the premiums are both standard non LSD batteries and list the same capacities so I am not sure of internal differences, if any.

Thanks, Rich.
I can see the advantage to LSD. I have a 3 C cell Mag lite in which I have put an LED bulb. It is beside my bed for emergency use, and I haven’t used it in a year. I have adapters so that I use AA Eneloops. I just checked each battery and the voltage was 1.30V. Originally I put the adapters and Eneloops so I would not have to use Alkalines which might leak.
Thanks,
Jerry

In order to determine which battery was best for me, eneloop or Tenergy, I conducted a non-scientific test using a couple of Sipik SK68 clones on high mode. I ran the test 3 times to get a good average.

I was only interested in runtimes vs cost. The two batteries were Tenergy Premium 2,500 mAh which I find on eBay at $1.65 each, and an Eneloop 2,000 mAh which I find on eBay and cost $2.68 each best price. Obviously the Tenergy has the advantage, but I am not interested in efficiency but cost and run times.

Run times until blinking or unusable were:
Eneloop 1hr –50min
Tenergy 2hrs-40min

Since I am not interested in the technicalities of the batteries or the fairness of the test, the choice is clear for me-Tenergy wins the day. I get more run time at much less cost.
I must also say it is OK if they won’t charge for 1900 cycles or even 400. I don’t use lights and batteries all that often. I have only a couple of items, such as a blood pressure machine and a personal size DVD player that uses batteries.
I realize that almost no one here would find this test satisfactory, but it tell me which suits me better for my needs. FWIW.
Jerry

edited as I had the two batteries reversed :_(

second edit to include results for AAA.
I tested a Fenix LD01 with an Eneloop and a Tenergy in Hi mode. Results were.
Eneloop lasted for 1 hour - 35 minutes
Tenergy Premium 2 hours - 20 minutes

Jerry

You sound like you might be prepared for a fight, so if you don’t want to listen that’s fine… but I’ll make an effort. You mentioned that “don’t use lights and batteries all that often,” so I assume that when you do use them the batteries have often been rested for a few days, weeks, or maybe longer. While both types of batteries are in your possession you should charge them up, rest them for a week or two (whatever seems appropriate based on your usage pattern and worst case scenario), and then test. The results of that test is why so many folks here are using Eneloop or other LSD NiMH. I would say that 5-7 days could be enough to reverse the results, but I don’t know. Two weeks has always demolished my “regular” NiMH in the past.

Thanks, Wight,
I would never go to that amount of trouble. For over half century I used Mag lite as a hunting and camping light and next to my bed now. It is a 3C cell that I put an LED bulb in. In my cars I used various cheapies, and when traveling I took a 6 V lantern

What I am saying that flashlights are not a big deal with me. I do carry a AAA light in my pocket and a coin cell on my key chain. I do find them handy. But if it got down to it I could go the rest of my life with about three Maglites and one AAA for my pocket.

I enjoy puttering around with lights sometimes. I did not intend the test to be one folks here would like, as I do not have equipment or knowledge or interest to run such tests. I am glad others do, and I enjoy reading them. But to try to keep up with the number of cycles and when I last used them,etc does not interest me.
How much I pay and what they put out is all I was interested in. In truth I am not really a flashaholic, but just fool around with them from time-to time. I have some 18650 lights that I wanted to see what they would do, but I never use them.
I enjoy giving lights away, and everyone likes the small ones.

Thanks for taking the time to give me some advice though.

Regards,
Jerry

Jerry, you’re welcome but (!) it really seems like you are not understanding how what I’m saying pertains to what you state that you want. If you don’t care then that’s fine… What I was getting at boils down to this: You’ll get considerably more runtime out of Eneloops than the Tenergy cells in your real world applications (eg if you charged a week ago and decide to use the flashlight/device now).

So for the usage pattern and goal you described (infrequent use, don’t care about cycle count, want max runtime, etc) you’re very likely significantly shortchanging yourself! The test I described was intended to show that.