Tesla Model 3 - are you buying?

To the person who marked this poll as rude, lewd, or conflictive...

Why?

I mean, what is your reasoning?

(I'm at a loss here.)

Personally I don’t hate electric cars. Until 1902 all land speed records for cars were set by electric cars.
But those cars suffered from the same issue as the current electric cars: (lack of) extension cords.
I live next to a big city (USA-members: hahaha) with an environmental zone, so I would love an E-car just for shopping.

But I hate it when I have to make reservations for a regular car with the E-car dealer, to allow me to go on holidays.
Last (short) holiday I drove 400 mile in my compact diesel (I know) and I was there in time to enjoy a nice afternoon.
In an E-car it would have cost me 3 days. Or 24 hours if I skipped sleeping. And several adapters (4 different countries).
So I will drive my compact car until it is time to surrender it to recycling. Maybe I can buy a practical E-car by that time.

@fuzun: I live across an unmanned gasstation belonging to a budget-chain. Here 1 litre will set you back $1.78
Well sort of. It is the amount in dollars PP wil give me for €1.539

I would consider an electric vehicle if they had a truck. Only had trucks so far and would need that kind of space.
Waiting for Chevy to release an electric truck…

That is exactly why Tesla, so far, is the only viable electric car alternative.
Their Supercharger network ( https://www.tesla.com/en_EU/supercharger?redirect=no ) sets them apart from the competition and let the owners use their vehicles for longer trips too.

As I said before: until that time I will drive in my compact diesel, which now is more-or-less crippled by the diesel-gate upgrade.

But the Supercharger network is a reality NOW, not some future pie-in-the-sky.

The only thing holding me back is that model S/X are out of my price range and volume deliveries of model 3 are yet to come.

Solar now costs 6¢ per kilowatt-hour, beating government goal by 3 years

Those prices don’t include an Investment Tax Credit

blah blah blah…
You’d think the Elon lovers would get tired of hearing themselves…
I think it you stop to think about it, anything with a 2-300 mile range suffices for 95% of people’s vehicular needs… I need a car for more than 300 miles (in a day)… 2-3 times a YEAR.
So going with that, I think a Bolt would do nicely. Then use my wife’s ICE vehicle or God forbid, rent an ICE for the 1% of the time I would need one.

Now that is a good one. :smiley: :+1:

You might be in luck sooner that you thought:

+1

gen IV

and Thorium!

stop building gen 1,2 period.

Liftr/ Malt and salt reactors are safe besides all the accidents. Like the accident at Santa Susana Field Laboratory that blew radiation all over California thanks to Rocketdyne. The Japanese test malt and salt reactors that has over 9000 safety violations and has been shut down?

The only EV I have driven here in the UK is a BMW i3 which was a loan car for the day, I must admit I was impressed with it.

For a small car the performance was good but it was the responsiveness which impressed the most, you touch the throttle and it responds straight away.

Only real downsides are the limited range approx 120 on Electric plus a further 80 on a small in-built generator.

Here in the UK the powers that be have now decided that all petrol or gas for you over the pond and diesel cars must not be sold after 2040 and only electric cars after that.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/25/new-diesel-petrol-cars-banned-uk-roads-2040-government-unveils/

What's with the tesla hate

Will it available on Banggood, Gearbest, or Fasttech? :partying_face:

Unfortunately. Solar. Wind power are NOT advanced enuff to solely power anything.
I’ve been involved with both. on Yachts. Caravans and my home since early ’70’s.
They are great at PARTIALLY supplying the total power but that’s all. UV rays have something to do with it.
No sun No solar. Wind is good When it windy.

What a LOT of people have NOT thought about. IS, that we are using Fossil fuels As our
primary source. Like it or not. Like it’s going out of fashion. Breeding like ants.
With not enough work to keep the current population busy as it is. ALL, or a lrge %age are now living off the rest.
When it equalises. with more taking than earning. Well. I’m 75 and it won’t bother me too much.
But the human world will NOT be a nice place to be involved with. The haves will keep. The won’t haves will want. Hmmm. What happens after that I wonder. Look to human history for the answer to that one.
NOBODY had given a thought to where the world will be in a coupla hundred. Or Thousand yrs time. If some idiot doesn’t push a button meanwhile. 2. I can think of come to mind.

OUR descendants. have very little to look forward too if humans don’t get together.
and figure out SOME WAY. of developing a power source. Clean to all. Used by all. with no arguments by all.
Yea. And that’s gonne happen.
That word called greed. with it’s mate “domination”. WILL rear their nasty little heads again.

Coordination with science and Human birth control should have happened at least a coupla billion births ago.

Meanwhile.

TESLA> Oh yes.
Expensive machinery. BUT he has developed a LOT of good ideas. Advanced science a lot. Specially in Storage development. (Battery etc.) We need that Hydrogen and water electrical storage to step ahead. so we CAN use Solar.Wind 24\7.
Yea. We NEED a lot of things. First of all. Liking each other would be a great start hey.

Back in his box. with his fav, torch and a good book.

Unfortunately they look like slippers with wheels. Trucks sell because they look boxy and beefy and badass. These don’t look like that to me.

I actually like the advances Musk is working on and developing. Not so much for the cars, but for home energy. More options and new technologies should help the marketplace.

You’re probably right. What also helps is the less strict emission and fuel consumption laws for trucks (keeps the prices low). In Europe (where the rules are more similar to sedan cars) trucks don’t sell at all.

I think that one of the reasons Tesla are selling all they can build is styling. Electrical vehicles from other manufacturers looks like toys and Teslas are kinda sexy. So I wouldn’t be surprised if Tesla surprises us all with a good looking truck.

Tesla fires hundreds as Model 3 electric car production drags