Test/Review of Analyzing Charger Powerex MH-C9000

I am not understanding how this top off charge works, how does the charger know when to go into top off mode, and how does it terminate and go into trickle mode?

I lost my Maha power adapter but dug out a Sony, 12v 3A one that looks more expensive, and has the extra plugin cord going to a box, like the power adapter for laptops.

The positive and negative seem to be the same, so my question is, I think that I have learned here that the higher amps is good, as long as the voltage is the same.

So this adapter is actually better, correct? Does this apply in all cases for all of our adapters?

This is it.

Termination is on voltage, i.e. when the battery reach a specified voltage the charger terminates, then it does two hours of top-off charge.

Higher amp is neither good or bad. The power adapter must deliver enough amps for the device, anything more is not used.

I understand that it can’t use what it can’t use, but for instance, doesn’t the BC3100 benefit from the higher amps?

Is it correct to feel free to interchange adapters as long as I stay with the simple match up of 1. volts, 2. neg/positive, and 3. at least the same amps?

How about a 5% difference in listed volts? Is that close enough? For instance an 18.5 volt adapter for a laptop that calls for 19v?

Some version of the BT-C3100 needed more current than the supplied adapter could deliver, that was the reason a adapter with higher current was better. The has been fixed in the latest version of the charger.

Generally yes. Especially if the equipment is marked with voltage and current.

That will depend on the equipment, generally I would not be worried about trying an adapter that is slightly below the specified voltage. The problems are more likely to occur if the adapter has too high a voltage.

Thanks, that was very helpful.

Since I use so much used and discarded second hand stuff, I am building up a collection of adapters, and worry about stressing things or ruining them straight out.

exactly two hours or does that have a proper termination?

The termination is on time, there is no sensing about the actual charge condition.

Ouch, i see what you mean about no delta v termination, i have noticed different brands of batteries terminate at different voltages, i hope they tuned this to eneloop batteries, since thats what mode people who invest in such a charger will use. On the plus side this can’t miss terminations, i would like to see a charger that has both so if delta v one fails the voltage/time is a backup.

Some chargers do have it, but the voltage termination is often too low, i.e. eneloop will always termination on voltage before they are full.

In my latest charger tests I have added the powerex cell and hope it will show if the charger also has a -dv/dt termination. But it looks like the chargers either uses top-off charge or not and it does not depend on termination method.

I have a Lacrosse BC700 (i am sure you reviewed a similar charger but i can’t find the review) and it terminates on delta v but if thats not a full charge then should i leave it on for a few hours afterwards and let the trickle charge finish charging it?

I have reviewed on La Crosse: http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%20Charger%20La%20Crosse%20RS1020%20UK.html

It did hit the correct termination each time.

With -dv/dt termination there is never a reason for top-off charge with LSD cells.

sorry, you said voltage termination was not fully charged, i need to get some sleep
thanks for the link, i searched your posts on BLF and couldn’t find it but i remember reading it and even posting on that thread!

thanks, i was going to re-read it in case you already answered a question i have about it, when its charging why does it oscillate around the selected charge current (if i pick 500 it will go from roughly 493-507 updating every second)

Current adjustment is never step-less, the actual number of steps will depend on the hardware. The actual current will depend on selected step and battery voltage.

This means the charger will select a current step, say 507mA. Then the battery voltage will slowly increase while the current drops, when the current is down to 493mA, current will again be increased a step.

It might not be as smooth as described above, because there will also be some noise, that can make it take a step up or down at random times.

Have two of them now, their warranty service is excellent regardless where you bought your charger from and whether there is local warranty service center or not ;)!

Nice review, I have been using this same charger for several years.

Is there any alternative or is MAHA still “the reference” machine?

The most interesting alternative charger is the SKYRC NC2500 charger: http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%20Charger%20SkyRC%20NC2500%20UK.html

SKYRC has a new charger planned for this year that might be even more interesting.

The question is - how good is going to be SkyRC’s quality and reliability in the long run and how good the customer service will be?

Ive dealt with Powerex CS only once but was satisfied by resolution.