Test/Review of Analyzing NiMH/LiIon Charger Opus BT-C3100

Another great review (reviews). Thanks HKJ and Chloe! Looks like I won’t be getting rid of my hobby charger any time soon. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the awesome review and your efforts!

What is with the 4.35V charging feature? Does it work properly?

I have not tested it (The switch is internal), but I did read about someone charging 4.35V batteries on it and it work correctly.

+1 Great review .

They are on ebay if anyone is interested

There is also a Group Buy here on BLF for cheaper!

Please tell me .
What algorithm is used to stop the charge charge NiMh batteries?

I cannot really say that from the measurements I have done. Because my measurements are not synchronized with the pulsing and due to the falling charge currents, it adds to much uncertainty to my measurements too see if there is a -dv/dt or 0dv/dt condition.

Thank you.
But …
You wrote …

СHARGE NiMH batteries…
Note: Some of the used eneloops had low capacity.
Interesting charger curve, it looks like the charger is using a CC/CV algorithm for NiMH batteries. The charger does a good job with the charging.
…”

Problem?

It does look like that, when the voltage reach 1.5 volt the charger starts reducing the current. But as I wrote above: I cannot guess the actual termination type that is used.

I wrote here …

Ok.

I see no reason not to believe what Henry says.

Next time I am looking on the charger I may play a bit with my bench multimeters and see if I can get a better voltage curve.

Thank you.
We’ll wait.
Good luck.

Hi HKJ,
What were the spec. Of your own power supply you used in your review. Seemed to have better luck with your own power supply with the v1.0 of the charger.
Thank you.
Dan

My own power supply was a 50A lab power supply.

Thank you. Did I read your comments on the review right that your own power supply seem to work better with v1.0? Thank you.

Yes, because the voltage drops at each pulse, the charger does not calculate charged mAH correctly, with "unlimited" current available the charger did not have that problem or at least not in any significant way.

Something interesting I just noticed using my C3100 to charge an old worn out Trustfire 2400 mAh flame is that at any charge current higher than 300 mA, the cell gets very hot. I initially tried at 1 A, then backed down to 500 mA after letting the battery cool in the freezer for awhile, but it still got quite hot, so I dropped it to 300 mA and let it complete the test overnight. Now I’m charging it on the Xtar VP1 at 500 mA and it’s just warm.

Am I correct in assuming that the high temperature on the C3100 is due to the high pulsed charge current as opposed to the constant current of the VP1? The better brand name cells don’t seem to have heat problems with either charger at 1 A, but I wonder as they get old and IR increases, if they will also encounter the same issue on the C3100? I guess that’s why you stated you would’ve preferred constant current charging in the conclusions. Hopefully, they will consider that for the next version.

KuoH

Yes, double current and the heat goes up four times, even when only using double current half the time it will double the heat.

This calculation is only relevant when the cell has a high internal resistance, i.e. on old cell and on small cells.

And here I thought my I4 and VP1 were going to be obsolete with these new charger analyzers in my inventory.

KuoH