Test/Review of Charger Opus BT-C3100 software V2 update

Guys with 4.35V cells would be very happy to see to those photos posted here!

i removed the 4 screws - drilled a 10mm hole at the right place (just above the slider of the switch) - and closed the cover again.

done!

-> i use a small screwdriver to switch…

I have a problem: mine charged 18650 ncr to 4.20v. But now only charges this batteries to 4.18, not reachs 4.20v. Anybody knows why can be happen this?

my photos wont attach. any ideas? using photobucket and images are sized to 700 I don’t have problems on the other forum!{width:50%

Haha, l’m useless without my teenage son around……

This might be helpful.

In my experience, not all cells, in fact, most cells does not retain 4.20 v, more so when rested after a few minutes.

And try using imgur.

But 3-4 days ago the displays shows 4.20v, everything was ok.
The batteries are panasonic ncr, with only 2 months of use. The problem comes since 3 days ago the displays shows 4, 17v, 4, 18, v instead 4, 20v

This is going to be a short, one-sided conversation. I consider your experience normal. I think all the gurus also consider that normal.

If it starts charging new, quality cells to 4.10v that’s a problem.

A suggestion for the manufacturer.

There needs to be some way to track what stage of refresh mode is currently being run for each of the slots.

It really needs to show the mode (charge/discharge) as well as some sort of count to show which phase of the three it is executing.

I see that the unit does change the slot display to charge or discharge (undocumented, and I did not notice it because of bad room lighting angle). That is quite useful. There are not a whole lot of display possibilities left to transfer information. My suggestion would be to flash either the charge/discharge message or the refresh message every 10 or 15 seconds to blink the stage in process. The blinking could also be triggered by the pressing of the display button.

An estimated hours to completion would also be very helpful after the first cycle. You could do something with the hours display to show elapsed or estimated completion. If you had to choose only one, I would prefer the estimated time to completion. But maybe using one of the associated symbols in the time display could allow both. If not that, perhaps estimated time to finish whenever refresh is chosen.

it’s a dream charger.

i wish i could of kept from buying 3

I haven’t used mine yet, but this sounds like a nice suggestion. Maybe something we’ll see in the next iteration (or a competing product?).

I know everybody can have their opinion, but I am getting a little tired of hearing this in particular (not just from you though!).

As far as I know this is the “best” analyzing tray charger for Li-Ions. AKA it’s your only option. The price is a steal. It’s not perfect. It’s less perfect than you expected. Boo-hoo?

I’d say it’s definitely a dream charger by today’s standards. If this charger went poof-zap-bam-boom, never existed…. what would you be dreaming about? Almost exactly what you hold in your hands, the BT-C3100… right?

Nobody is crying foul, “feels like a public beta” & etc on products like the DQG 26650 EDC triple. They just say it’s flawed with the 2s button-hold turnoff (and maybe other stuff, I dunno). If a new version comes out I still expect that nobody will scream “public beta” about the OG version. But several people feel compelled to do that for the BT-C3100 which is much more complicated but only slightly more expensive at the current price. What differentiates the two?

I don’t want to receive faulty products, and least of all faulty chargers, but I feel like the negative stuff implied when you call this charger a toy is pretty much undeserved. This is v2, so we all knew what we were getting into from the V1 review. We all knew that the internal resistance measurement was mostly a joke due to contact resistance. HKJ told us that about the first one and there was no reason that would change for this one. The fan was annoying in V1 and stayed that way in V2, no big surprise. Most other things are improved or not much worse than V1. Several folks have gotten what are clearly defective units - this does not reflect on other, functioning units.

This is a dreamcharger. That doesn’t preclude a better charger down the road.

I just don’t see your perspective at all.

OMG don’t call it a toy.
he is friends with the moderator.!!!

I agree wight. There are some things that could be better; there always are. It seems to do what it says it will do. It does not appear to be disposed to catching fire or blowing up batteries. That seems pretty good to me. I have had two chargers seriously melt down over the years.

So far only C NiMh. I am well into my second day of doing a refresh on two new cells. Six to go and then 4 1860s. Guess why I came up with my suggestion above. I would really like to know when to expect to put a new set of batteries in there.

Time will tell how this works out. I hope they do something along the line I suggested. I volunteer for testing the version with that feature.

And the fan is annoying. Right now it is in a room by itself. Not the normal location. I will eventually put something else in to replace the fan. My current thinking (I have not dissembled the unit yet) is to remove the bottom case and replace it with one made of something like chicken wire. Put some standoffs in there (or not) and install a full width cooling fan. A few rubber feet to protect the desktop and allow air circulation. Maybe a constant fan; maybe using their control. Issue resolved. If I need higher concurrent charging currents, I have a PC power supply if I want to use it. It still remains a very well priced device with a lot of functions.

I have lost count of posts and are sorry to ask this, but I am challenged in finding the time to study the matter: could anybody be so kind to put together the issues of this charger in formato of a short list? It sure has been done but I cannot access this information after quite some browsing (my bad) and would like to better understand. Sorry again.

P. S.
I used this charger to charge 18650s and NiMh, and did it with success, plus I loved the voltage check feature so I don’t have to take out the multimeter :slight_smile:

No one is friends with ‘the moderator’, I heard he eats children and puppies, but mostly pupplies.

Eats children and puppies?

Our moderator is Ann Coulter?

That monster, puppies aren't certified gluten-free!

Yesterday my refresh of 2 NiMH C cells finished. The final readings for mah were a bit odd.

When the process was going on, I saw intermediate values when I would come to check if it was finished. The cell in slot one showed a capacity of around 4300 mah. But when things were finished it was around 3400. They are 4000mah cells. It appears to display the total cycle charging current/time during each charge cycle. But that seems like bit wide a difference. Slot 4 finished within the expected range.

I am not going to run another refresh cycle on any of the remaining cells. I am just going to discharge them and then charge them. Refresh just take too long (not a bad thing, I just need to use the batteries). I am going to start keeping notes on cell performance to see how much variation there will be. Probably I will not use refresh often. If I try to revive a cell I will probably just do my own charge/discharge cycles. That way I will be able to see any progress during the process.

Another thought for the manufacturer. When doing a refresh, store the charge numbers for each of the cycles and allow them to be read out at the end of the process. As long as they have enough memory in their processor, after coding, this is essentially a cost free value added feature.

Then for the higher priced version, a USB port that lets a PC record things. Or set charging programs.