Test/Review of Charger SkyRC MC3000

http://www.skyrc.com/Charger/Multi-Channel/MC3000_Charger

There are 2 versions of the MC3000_Monitor software:

v1.03 (for 1080p screens) and

v1.04 (for 720p screens) (I think most laptop screens should fit 720p, but I haven’t test yet on a laptop screen)

The settings screen for v1.03 and v1.04 are slightly different in the configuration though.

IMHO “fixed screen size” might be an indicator of programmer’s incompetence. Even icons should be scalable in Windows OS since years …

And the android app was apparently programmed as a quick & dirty solution, too. Or by an amateur, and not a good one. Now it crashes e.g. if bluetooth isn’t activated before …

No, neither version displays the gui correctly either from my laptops or PCs.

I’ve owned and used PCs and various software for more than 35 years and this app sort of reminds me when gui apps first came out a long time ago. Some had problems with resizing the window boxes. Most likely it’s the programming language app their using doesn’t have any window resizing functions and it’s probably open source or freeware?

I don’t think SkyRC invests very heavily with their software. They more concerned with the hardware and it’s firmware.

To write a good windows app for the MC3000 that has user control would require a bit of low level programming. The programming language their using I suspect is very rudimentary, they would probably need to hire programmers familiar with low level programming from a more robust programming language that addresses different gui features in Windows applications. Which will usually cost more for development, licensing, etc.

Imo, this is a mistake as users would be able to better utilize many of SkyRCs charging equipment with use of PC apps. They would also be able to increase sales as many users don’t want to deal with a small lcd screen that’s difficult to read. PC connectivity is a huge selling point. However the MC3000 at this point in time doesn’t really have any PC connectivity as the app doesn’t work with very many PCs and monitor combinations.

Their monitor.exe uses a single resolution and format. I’ve tried all the various resolutions of my PC and NEC 1080p monitor and none of the resolutions work at all.

Their monitor app is totally useless running on my various laptops and pcs. The MC3000 should have never been marketed with this PC control app they have available for download.

PC control was one of the reasons why I initially purchased the MC3000.

[quote=albert]

[quote=d_t_a]

This is disheartening. I read so many posts full of rave reviews about this thing, so I have one incoming on top of the OPUS BT-C3100. Now I realize, maybe 5000-post-long-threads are perhaps more an indicator of bugs than of a great product.

I thought i was getting something like the OPUS, but more customize-able, with constant current charging, and with the ability to record discharge curves via PC. But now I find all these mentions of poor build quality, posts breaking, problems with connectivity, and instructions on how to alter the electronics to remedy defects? Sigh. I still can’t even figure out how to really tell whether my incoming model has the improved post-June 2016 build quality or not, without opening it up. Vendor listing says HW1.4, but FW 1.03.

Other than the softwares and UI (User Control) issues I haven’t found the MC3000 to be problematic. It has done a good job of charging my batteries which at this point in time only consist of NiMH AAs and Lithium 18650s.

However, I don’t find it’s built-in LCD (menus) user interface to be all that intuitive. It could use some more development to create a more intuitive less, stressful UI. It’s key-presses aren’t all that logical and/or are using a different type of logic that most likely derived from it’s low level firmware & programming. This is fairly typical for devices that have user control from a small LCD screen. The UI programming often follows the logic of the firmware’s low level programming which has less logic compatibly for a UI.

I don’t use the MC3000 all that regularly and usually can’t remember it’s keypress menu logic. So I’m usually fumbling around trying to remember the kepress logic and menus.

That’s one reason why I support a PC app as PC applications have better programming in relation to a UI and GUI.

Programming development for LCD screens has it’s limitations. For LCD screens It can sometimes take a lot of work to come up with a UI that’s even usable and the end results will usually have limitations.

The MC3000 is charging individual multi-chemistry cells. It does have the ability to save up to 30 programs, however you are required to remember or write down the program # saved for a particular battery & chemistry as the MC3000 doesn’t have any text labeling to identify each of the 30 programs.

What the MC3000 would benefit from not only to be able to ID each program from the MC3000’s LCD screen & menu(s) but would to also have access and control from a PC app where one could save and load each program with an ID and description.

You could then install a set of up to four batteries, loading a program for each battery and start charging.

I use my MC3000 strictly stand alone and find the UI ok - I got like 10-12 programs set up for different charge levels, etc.. It's a beast - can charge 4 26650's at 3A. I use it a lot, almost every day.

For now I’ve given up on using my PC and Android phone with the MC3000.

Recently was able to salvaged some old 18650 batteries from an old Dell laptop battery consisting of eight 18650 batteries.

Wasn’t able to initially charge the 8 x 18650’s as they measured zero voltage.

Using my USB battery charger I was able to charged them up to a voltage to around ~2.5 volts? With the higher battery voltage the MC3000 was able to charge them.

With 18650’s Lithium’s at zero voltage the MC3000 could not recognize a 18650 battery installed in a slot. With higher (18650) voltages under ~2.5 volts (uncertain of the exact cut-off voltage) the MC3000 recognized a battery installed in the slot but produced an error “Check Voltage” and would not charge the battery.

Once the USB charger brought a 18650 up to certain voltage and I think too a higher mah capacity, the MC3000 was able to charge them ok.

There’s a useful ‘cheat sheet’ for the MC3000 (highly recommend to print out as a hardcopy reference):
http://www.skyrc.com/Charger/Multi-Channel/MC3000_Charger

It’s true the MC3000 monitor program is clunky, and hard-coded resolution harks back to software of ancient days…

In the cheat sheet, it mentions to hold down the Slot Nr button to attempt ‘re-activating’ the zero-volt cell (MC3000 will display ‘No Battery’ but supposedly charge it at a low current when button is held down continuously) .

Also, in the MC3000 unit’s Setup screen (hold down the Stop button, when no batteries are charging, until it shows SETUP screen), there s a Names setting, which defaults to ‘Default’, change it to ‘Parameter’, that should show the charging/discharging rate in the main display view, slightly better than just showing program numbers.

Based on what I read in the forums, the latest versions should all read HW Version >= 1.3 (there’s an explanation somewhere):

Refer here:

(above post has lots of detailed info about firmware revision changes)

(quoting excerpts from the 2nd and 3rd link below:)

So, most hardware bugs should be fixed already, just the software (MC3000 monitor) which has not been updated and is quirky, and the main MC3000 (unit) UI can still probably be streamlined a bit with a firmware update (which I doubt they’re gonna do)…

I think not being able to charge under 2 volts is by design as I have an Opus charger that does the same.

Holding the slot # button down does accept a zero voltage cell, however when I press return to start a charge routine all I see is an error message “Check Voltage”.

Advanced Options:

1. Instead of step 3 you can also press-and-hold a Ready slot number button to START the selected slot immediately with the selected Program number.
    ———
    The same error message occurs using the the advance option, charges only if the lion cell voltage is 2 volts and higher.

For those with broken spring posts here’s a method I used to repair my MC3000. (recommended by another MC3000 owner )

I hope that is the main MC3000 thread.

Today I updated the firmware of my charger from 1.10 to 1.13. Usually manuals say things like “Do not cough during update” or “Use high quality USB cables” and I graciously ignore these recommendations because the are usually not necessary.

But this charger is really picky about USB ports and cables. I soft bricked the charger because of the cable was probably too long. Luckily I found this thread and had a shorter USB cable at hand.

For a few moments I thought I had bricked the charger and converted it into a paperweight. :person_facepalming:

Does this unit measure internal resistance?

It has IR measurement but it is just to give you a general idea, not very precise but enough to know when a cell is damaged and which to discard.

Someone knows the latest hardware revision
Gearbest has the HW 1.4
Thanks
Robert

I suppose as long as the IR measurement of a certain charger is consistent within a certain range, it can be considered as good enough for most consumers…

eg. these chargers all have IR measurement that are somewhat consistent (I only mentioned some popular ones, there are others) :
SkyRC MC3000
Opus BT-C3100
ZanFlare C4
Miboxer C4-12
Opus BT-C100

— any idea if which of the above would have the “best” or most consistent IR readings?

From HKJ’s reviews, the following chargers don’t (again only mentioned a few popular ones) have consistent IR readings:
LiitoKala Lii-500 Engineer
LiitoKala Lii-300 Engineer
NiteCore SC4

I’ve tried the Lii-500 Engineer and the IR reading is really not helpful (even bad cells will sometimes register low “mR” readings).
The NiteCore SC4 is not very helpful on differentiating good from somewhat-good cells (it just shows a low reading usually), but old bad cells will usually show a high reading for IR…

Afaik the latest version has dual fans but I don’t know the version number.

Anyone with the dual fan version? What does it look like?
(I got mine fairly recently from Gearbest - around Sept 2017, but it appears to have only a single fan)

Thanks
You know where I can buy it ?

Robert

Very hard to believe that there is a revision with 2 fans !
Robert

Look at : SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer | Candle Power Flashlight Forum

post 4989