Test/Review of Led4power 5A linear driver LD-1 (prototype)

Just a few ideas I had mulling around. I use a modded SRK for a bike light with a 24 x 18650 parallel remote pack. While it does a fantastic job as a bike light that runs continuously without voltage sag, the idea of having the greater efficiency of CC in the lower modes would justify the mod. Ive also thought about hacking apart the SRK, then mounting a large CPU heat sink on the back of the emitter mounting plate so it could run at higher sustained amps. The driver would then be remote mounted on its own sink. I also thought about asking if 2 slaves could operate off one master driver, but at that point it would be hard to justify. Ive already considered vF matching the emitters if necessary. (I have at least 75 L2’s on noctigons so its not a concern) lol

I thought you might say something like that. Why not simply wire them in series and use a buck driver?

For safety and versatility. Its soldered 4.2V and I use it to power many other devices. I have no ambition to build a large capacity serial pack, deal with balance charging and then hang it under my seat. Especially considering the high G-shock it is constantly subjected to.

I’m curious what other devices you run off of this monster pack?

Turbo is theoretically cca 10Amps but it's designed only for single xm-l2 or xp-g2.Don't drive triples with turbo!

If you want to get 15Amps,you'll need external mosfet and sense resistor,it's possible.

You need two 10mohm sense resistors+one mosfet(I recommend you nxp psmnXXX series with maybe little lower resistance than stock).Those can should be mounted on separate pcb and heatsinked.Connect them in series with led and power supply(thick wires).On driver you need to remove sense resistor,and bring sense voltage from new (2x10mohm) sense resistors;connect gate pin on driver to gate of external mosfet,and connect driver to + battery voltage(all thin wires).I'll post schematic later.

This was already a great driver. Now you have really made this into a must have if you can achieve 15 amps for 3 XMLs or 3 XPLs.

Thank you for giving this some serious thought. Im not sure if I could fab my own. Being able to supply 3 emitters @5A each + CC would be extremely useful for many of us. Once you finalize the design of your single version, could you please consider building a triple version? I think you’d sell many of them. This is starting to get very exciting! :bigsmile:

Just a heads up. I sent a BLF17DD driver to HKJ this morning. After he has tome to test it yall will have all the graphs in the world to look at :-)

Ahh, cool! Thanx LedSmoke!!

I am already drooling at the thought of using this for a tripple/quad xpl