Test/review of UltraFire 18350 1100mAh (Black-red)

I mean that they may remove it from some future batch. And by future I mean any newer than the latest known-good.
If you compare the cells:
http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/CommonSmallcomparator.php
you’ll see that Keppower protection adds less resistance, but trips at 7A. UF doesn’t trip even at 10A. Assuming it actually works, this is a good thing - some lights draw much more than 7A from a single 18350…

I purchased the Aspire 18650 to run in the D4. The protected version wouldn’t work with out tripping the PCB.
I can see the PCB being useful in some lights but not if your going to draw more current than the PCB will stand.
Each has their on purpose.

Exactly. And why I’m getting some of these in addition to the unprotected Aspire 1100 I already have, different batteries for my different lights.

“The Vapcell 18350 is the same thing as the Aspire was under the wrapper”

Just got my Ultrafires yesterday.

These are pretty big, specs show 18.4mm and that is true for 95% of the length, however at the thickest point near the top they’re 18.74mm, and unfortunately they will NOT fit in the Convoy 18350 tubes. :rage:

The do fit well in the Jaxman tube which is both wider (I.D.) and longer than the Convoy’s.

Length is 37.6mm (38.7mm to the top of the button) so true to the length specs of 38.8mm

I haven’t done a capacity test yet, I’ll post here the results after I do.

Trim them down, use a file or whatever. They're begging to be turned into protected flat tops.

Cheers ^:)

The width is the real problem, not fitting in the Convoy tubes.

Usually the cell is wrapped then the PCB is put on with a metal strip running from positive to negative, then rewrapped.
This will add to the cell diameter.

Flashlights with linear drivers do not really need protected cells, this is because the very minimum emitter driving voltage plus driver overhead is about at a low li-ion cut-off voltage (≈2.5V), and anyway you will notice quite a difference in output much before this.

Thus, unless you need to leave the flashlight completely unattended there's really no point in using protected cells inside. Furthermore, with unprotected cells you won't be left in the dark at cut-off.

Cheers ^:)

Yes but it’s not that. I’m aware of the metal strip running down the side of protected cells.
As I said it’s only at the very top where the whole circumference is thicker. 90% of the cell will fit down into the Convoy tube, it’s only thicker at the top.

Here’s how far it goes in to a Convoy tube:

LiitoKala 26650 Lii-50A’s (unprotected) have the same issue, whole circumference is slightly thicker at the very top.

Yes these are for some lights I use at my work if I accidentally leave the flashlight completely unattended. I have on occasion left a light inside a machine turned on (stuck with tail magnet to the inside wall) Some of the lights I like to use have no LVP so they won’y shut themselves off.

It’s usually a 1.5 to 2 hour drive round trip, and I don’t remember until I get home or the next day. And I don’t usually return to the same site for about 40-50 days. So I feel better with the protected cell for those lights.