Test / Review: Soshine 9V 500mAh Li-Ion battery

Thanks Shadowww, I was wondering about these.

By the way… anyone knows where to buy 600mAh ones ( Soshine 9V Li-po Rechargeable Battery: 650mAh 7.4V - Soshine )?
I’d love to test a pair of these, too…

I came across this thread when I was looking for some 9v li-ion batteries

I have bought some of these batteries based on the review

I also came across this which seem reasonably priced for the quoted capacity
http://dx.com/p/mp-rechargeable-680mah-9v-6f22-li-ion-battery-for-microphone-remote-control-more-silver-183353

Does anybody know if these are any good ?

If it has no protection then these are pretty much rendered useless. At least in all devices made for 9V batteries because they don’t have Lion protection.

Did somebody test the 650mAh version? It’s cheaper than the 600mAh one…
http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10002905/1812000-soshine-650mah-9v-li-ion-rechargeable-battery

I have some of these that were discarded by a place I volunteer. They use them in walkie-talkies I think.
Most are 2+ years old with an unknown history, probably not a pleasant one since they would have been used by a lot of people.
DC 9V-520mAh Li-Polymer Battery

After some testing with an Accucel-6 most of the still decent ones came out in the high 400mA capacity. There were on a few duds from about a dozen.
They last WAY longer in a DVM than a 9v NiMh and seem to do as well as an alkaline. Hard to tell for sure since my use pattern is highly variable and most of the ‘use’ is forgetting to turn it off. :stuck_out_tongue:

As an experiment I have one in the smoke detector above my charging station. That detector gets a a lot of scrutiny. The first one lasted 7 months before the low voltage alarm.
(I don’t recommend these for smoke detector application as a routine thing.)

I think they would be good for a use that required some juice on a routine basis (eating batteries), less for something need long reliable capacity like a smoke alarm. There aren’t a lot of devices like that so it’s pretty user specific.

Hmm…

Sounds fishy to me. 9V would require 3x LiFePO4 cells, and no way they could make them 600mAh each in such tiny format (AA size LiFePO4’s barely reach such capacity!)

So what do you people recommend for a smoke detector? I’ve been thinking about lithium primary but they are quite expensive, as expensive as the rechargeable lithium batteries.
@Shadow I think that They are all 7.4V (8.4V max) batteries… It’s just the specs that are wrong.

http://www.soshine.com.cn/a5.aspx

I have some Soshine 3 volt RCR123’s and for months they have worked excellent. I like the idea of their 9 volt. I have few uses for them now, but still may buy one to tinker with. Thanks for review.

Well, I still don’t know what to buy for my DMM.

- Alkaline battery

- Lithium Primary

• Lithium rechargeable

If you just want best performance, without caring much about price - lithium primary, no doubt. They last ages.

Of course I care about the price! It’s Budgetlightforum after all! :slight_smile:
From what I saw lithium primaries are as expensive as rechargeable lithiums! :open_mouth: