Test / Review: Xtar SP2 charger

In Italy the Xtar SP2 is available with Euro plug.

The price is Eur 32 + 10 for shipping (to Italy, not sure this shop ships international, but email is there if anyone interested)

http://www.euroled.it/charger.html

(scroll the page)

I got mine with Euro plug and car charger for 17,08£ (ex VAT) + 7,5£ shipping – edenwebshops.co.uk.
It was shipped from Netherland to Norway. Took about two weeks (max) and I got tracking…

Have you read the fine print on the warrantee?

This is certainly worth a look. A little piece of mylar under the tab should be good. Too bad I tossed the failed unit a while back. It would have been good to know if this was the problem.

I really appreciate posting the possible glitch regarding the XTAR WP2-II chargers. I have always recommended this charger to new user of Li-Ion 18650 cells. I am going to have to seriously rethink this recommendation.

I tried slipping some .005” mylar shims under the tabs but the clearance was seriously insuffient. Not only that, the new layout in my image shows there is yet another close call (left tab; right side)

I ended up removing the tabs and placing mylar insulators under the tabs. This is by no means simple for the less experienced soldering iron operator. It is one of those 3-hand jobs that not even the 3rd-hand widget is much help with. It all went well in the end.

Again, thanks for the heads up. This would likely have killed my second charger in time.

XTARAre you taking notes?

After some research hear and other places I decided on the SP2 charger. I found it at this source for $23 + $5.85 shipping (US dollars) shipped to west coast of USA. Seems like a good price for US customers. I don’t know about international shipping. It comes from an E-cigarette company.

http://shop.vaperev.com/chargers/sp2-2-bay-2347.html

I have found a lot of useful info on this site. Thanks to all those that have contributed.

I just charged two 14500 Nitecore cells on my SP2 at 500mA and I measured the voltage afterwards and they were both about 4.32V

Usually they have been between 4.18 and 4.22V, why could they be higher this time?

Have you tried another multi-meter just to be sure?

I dont have another multimeter but i just tested them again and both are 4.18V…

When this happens, it is usual a good idea to replace the battery in the DMM.

I bougt the Xtar SP2, it was delivered today, it looked ok when i plugged it in for the first time, but a few minutes later the only led that was lit up was the green one on the adapter.
The adapter (power plug) is ok, the voltage is 12,169V at the plug that goes into the SP2 charger.

Looks like you have to get it exchanged.

I just got a mail from the shop where i bougt it, i have to sent it back.
I bougt it together wit a Fenix BT20 (bike light) + 2x Eden 3400mAh 18650 batteries, and wanted a faster charger than the Nitecore i4 (i have the i4 for about 1 year now).
I think i will ask my money back, i will use the i4 to charge the Eden batteries (it will take a bit longer), it seems to be more reliable than the Xtar SP2.

I do not think so.

All brands have faulty units, the question is how many percent are faulty (That is kept secret).

I have already got a new one, it was delivered a few hours ago, that is super fast service from http://www.knivesandtools.nl/ .
This one works fine.

This charger will charge 2 Trustfire unprotected 32650 at the same time. After inserting into the charger, just press them together till they make contact with the charger contacts. I imagine it will probably work with the protected version of this cell as well.