Testing a Cree XHP50.2 J4 3A led

Easiest way to limit current in a DD light such as this in my experience, is to simply use lower drain cells.

If 30Q’s are too much, generally dropping down to GA’s get me into safe current ranges and is way easier then messing with other options.

If that is not enough, second best option I have found is to simply use longer and/or thinner gauge wire to limit current some. Just don’t go too thin or the wire will melt, you can go longer though.

for a customer I made once a MCPCB with driver circuitry on it
I used 2 0.47 Ohms in parallel for an XPL-Hi that pretty muh nailed the current to 3A tops from two high drain 18650 in parallel

Surprizingly the resistors stayed very very cool, I could have probably gone with lower than 2 0.75W ones
the main criteria limiting them is heat and they are usually rated on x mm² of PCB to dissipate the rated power

in general driving those LEDs close to their physical limits in parallel is not a good idea

Oh yeah, I forgot that mounting the resistors to the mcpcb helps dissipate heat much better than if they were mounted on a driver. Duh.

Actually Ohms law says amps times resistance equals voltage…It is watts law that says volts times amps equals watts. I know it is nit picky, but a guy named Georg Ohm came up with Ohms law, and Watts law is named after James Watt, an inventor. Though similar, it is 2 separate laws.

Fixed. :+1: