testing two of KD's new Nichia 219b leds (4500K'92CRI' and 5500K)

Yeah, that last part, about comparing the spectra, is what I was talking about. If the camera settings are the same, then the limitations of the camera would be a wash when comparing any light source to another with that same camera, even daylight. Basically, it would be like what we’ve talked about here before with luxmeters. They all have limitations, but for comparing light A to light B, the limitations are a wash, because the same limitations show up in readings from both A and B. Calibrating against known good numbers will help a little with real world accuracy, but there’s really no such thing as making it perfect.

I suppose I need to just buy one of the new Nichia’s and subjectively determine if I think colors look real good under it. They probably do.

Just ordered the qty 5 deal on the 4500 B - didn't read thru this test til now, outstanding, so much better than the old ones - nother great job djozz! (Match re-incarnated)

I, respectfully, take exception to "Match Reincarnated". djozz has over 2000 more posts than Match, has sacrificed many emitters to the diode gods, has invested much more time in testing and cost in equipment, has gathered and published much more precise data, and is still here contributing. djozz is not Match reincarnated. He is djozz and stands in no ones' shadow.

Sorry for being overly sensitive about it, but djozz deserves serious props without comparison to others. Being the humble, friendly guy that he is, we will likely disagree with me. That just makes him all that more special.

+1 - Match on steroids? Super Match? Smile

djozz - "stay thirsty my friend"

He can identify UFOs

He can open a Piñata with a wink and a smile

He can speak spanish in Russian

He is left-handed and right-handed.

He is the life of parties he has never attended

He is the only man to have ever aced a Rorschach test

He is the reason those nine ladies are dancing

He lives vicariously through him self

He never says something tastes like chicken, not even chicken

He once challenged his own reflection to a staring contest on the third day he won

He can measure a light's output without turning it on

I got more... Smile

Don't forget, he bowls overhanded.

Darn! Missed that one...

So my Prometheus beta qr copper has a small black triangle with 2 dots around the square the led sits on.
So would this be The 219a right?.
Someone mentioned the QR now has the 219b which has spooked me so just need to find out confirm if the led in my qr is still an A.
I have also written to Jason hui.

Thanks

I'm sure it is somewhere else as well but I made a picture side-by-side for you, sorry for the beaten-up dirty 219A led. Left 219A (4500K 92 CRI), Right 219B (4500K 92CRI):

differences:

-219A (and 119A as well btw) has a black triangle in the corner and 8 black dots around the dome, 219B just has a triangle. This is the most obvious visible difference.

-the white backing looks a bit more transparant on the 219B

-the 219A has a smaller more curved dome, the 219B has a shallower dome (like a XP-G), and because of that, the die shape looks different as well. But it must be mentioned that there are 219A leds around that have the shallower dome. But the 4500K 92CRI one that is in popular for flashlights has as far as I know only been available with the smaller more curved dome.

Thank you so very much indeed.

I got a couple of these with the 1.5mm thick bases earlier and like the color a lot, though I can’t comment on whether the numbers claimed are real:
http://www.kaidomain.com/Search/SearchResult.nichia

You can see the difference between A and B type in their stock photos on the website, and they match what djozz showed us above.

So if the Nichia’s at KD are real, isn’t this a fantastic deal?

http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S022933

How much difference is there between 219A and 219B, practically speaking?
The charts in the original post show quite a difference — but for building a budget triple, how much does it matter?
Spec for the 219A triple is given as http://www.nichia.co.jp/specification/products/led/NVSL219A-H1-E.pdf

Oops
I totally missed that they’re 219A. Bummer

I’ve ordered three of these parallel 219A B11 triples a month ago and received something which is obviously 219B. Still haven’t found the time to wire them though, so can’t comment the tint anl CRI.

Maybe I’ll still give it a shot then

My head hurts.
My wallet hurts.
But it’s a good pain …

I have a set in a Convoy S2 with a brass spacer, the tint and CRI is very good.

10% between 219A B11 and 219B D220

Doesn’t matter at all. 10% difference is not detectable by eye.

I’ve just checked all 219Bs I have with DMM (you can tell something about the tint even in this “moonlight mode”) - these unknown 219Bs are most likely 219B D200 from the KD’s first batch (and I like them more then present D220 as for the tint)

Did you use the stock star? Any problems with overheating?