Texas_Ace BLF Calibrated Lumen tube / Sphere No math skills needed - Several spheres still available

They reduce the readings by a fixed percentage.

For this to not be the case they would have to somehow change densities / tint with different output lights to read differently and this is not the case.

Like the photo-sensitive glasses that darken in the sun and I can assure you I am not using anything that advanced.

To put this in perspective Lux meters use exactly the same method with the plastic dome over the light sensor.

It has a fixed percentage that it reduces the readings by and they simply calibrate around that and the end result is fine because the reduction is more or less fixed.

So a certified 1000 lumen Fenix reads 800 and a certified 10000 lumen Fenix reads 8000.

We are getting there, then you have extra absorption from the floody spill hitting the tube walls at a different angle from hotspot heavy lights. Then there’s extra glare refection bouncing back from higher powered lights.

I’m gonna buy a globe and see if I can replicate a professional set up.

Thus far all of the fenix lights tested have read within margin of error.

The idea with the centering rings is that it integrates the light at the inlet thus removing the discrepancy of flood vs throw. I am sure there is a few percent variance but once again the percentages are fixed so it will be minor. This is what people have seen during testing as well as my own testing.

The reflective tape mimics a reflector and thus keeps all the light inside the tube.

Getting a real sphere is indeed a better option but a much more costly one.

The issue is still that you will need a way to calibrate it, I recommend getting one of maukka calibration lights for this task. Using ANY factory light is a recipe for disaster.

I edited the above post while you were posting with this information that you might find helpful:

You really left a negative feedback on ebay as well even after saying that the refund would make things ok and taking the money?

Ok, if I send you a full refund (minus fees and shipping) will you change the feedback?

Yes, negative feedback really hurts that much.

Does anyone in the UK want his sphere? If so you could sell it to someone else and not have to even look at it anymore.

Or I could give you a 100% refund and instead of shipping it back to me, you could simply ship it to someone else in the UK.

Just let me know what you want so you to never have to think about the sphere again and can change the feedback.

As I said from the start, I will make it right if there is a problem or you are not happy, I thought $50 made you happy but apparently not.

Damn, that’s fucked up. From what I’ve seen in this thread, you’ve been nothing but professional with him. Might be he’s considering his interaction with other members here to be part of his negative experience. Hopefully you can get it sorted, man.

KG, we weren’t trying to be rude to you but wanted more info to diagnose the problem. Keep in mind we are all customers that bought the TA tube just like yourself and we have no reason to bash a fellow customer. All of us customers, like yourself, are hardcore enthusiasts and some with a great deal of knowledge in this matter. The only difference is except we are not experiencing what you are experiencing with this product (E.g., Your M43 measured 4,550 lumens, while mine measured 6,950 lumens.) It was easy for anyone to assume from your initial few posts that you had too much faith in manufacturer’s lumens, ceiling bounce, and other’s DIY lumen spheres calibrated using manufacturer’s ratings and since many of your readings were reasonable (e.g., 4,800 lumens for Q8), a very logical explanation would be some of your lights might be duds (I had three identical Zebralights that measure 44/68/74lux), experienced emitter degradation (like my D4 XP-L HI I explained above), or just manufacturer’s overrating their lights (I have about 100 lights or more but not all the ones you have so can’t confirm them all). With additional information you are giving us (e.g., you have multiples of the same lights though not sure what they measured), it seems more likely either you are using it incorrectly (have you tried unplugging and replugging in the lux sensor?) or there is a defect in your specific unit (which would make it the first).

The hundreds of comments in this long thread have been very constructive and we try to be objective and factual. Only until recently your posts initiated some emotions and sorry for your negative experience. But when you came out of no where and started attacking this product without providing more information to help us diagnose, to many hardcore flashlight enthusiasts/experts here, that may sound offensive (I’m not because I’m not that savvy). Customers here contributed a huge wealth of information through hundreds of posts in this threads that helped shape this product. Some of your comments made it sound like rest of the TA tube customers, all hardcore flashlight enthusiasts, are dumb for thinking this product works great and you’re the only one that realize it doesn’t (e.g., your quote in this post). Regardless, TA himself has been very professional and objective.

Just a FYI, Toykeeper, who contributed to the coding for the Emisar series and the upcoming FW3A summed up the “lumen” phenomena pretty well in here This is the reason why many of us here discount lumen measurements from other DIY solutions and manufacturer’s ratings.

This kind of crap is the reason I don’t sell anything—I have well over 300 lights that I would love to thin out—I’ll give them away before I deal with this crap—What I’d like to know— KG when you get a Sphere are you gonna adjust for flooders and throwers like you stated you do with other forms of testing—I have tested lots of lights ( big small high lumen Blf GT etc ) both with my Tube and Ceiling bounce test — I use one correction factor for each form of testing —I was amazed at how close the two forms of measuring were

Let me know when you get them packed & about ready to ship my ‘Cajun Brother of the Bayous’…… I’ll PM you my shipping address. :wink:

Hey teacher, I have some lights. Thrunite tn40 xhp70 dedome and tn32 xpg2 dedome. Lmk if you are interested. For free.,

Need centering rings for the Tn40 and tn32.

:open_mouth: . :open_mouth: …… PM about to be sent NewLumen… :slight_smile:

Cool. The light is function and working. The beam is not great… so little of works and they should be fine…

I rather want those lights to go to someone who like to fix it and use it,

Newlumen you are so generous! :beer:

A big Amen to that!! Very generous indeed. :+1: . :beer:

It happens I do not have either one of those & will be happy to get them, do whatever needs ‘tuning up’ on them, and use them. :slight_smile:

Thank you Newlumen!! :slight_smile:

Your welcome… i will ship them tomorrow when i get your address…

I was thinking about selling them but they are not perfect and need minor fixing… i rather give them for free…

Wait Wait—-I was gonna make it 302 over here—— JK—— Teacher got em

PM answered with address included.
Thank you again Newlumen…… :slight_smile:

It’s a great light… i am sure teacher will like it… tn40 have xhp70 dedome 10000 lumen. And tn32 have xpg2 dedome 1800 lumen…

A few minor fix and will became great light…

You snooze, you lose brother…… :wink:

Got it… I will send them out tomorrow morning.