Texas_Ace BLF Calibrated Lumen tube / Sphere No math skills needed - Several spheres still available

I have some of the same lights as KG_Tuning, the readings all look reasonable to me. Here are readings for some of my lights in the TA Tube. The last one on the list, the HDS Ra Executive, was factory calibrated to 100 lumens.

Astrolux MF01 7800
Noctigon Meteor M43 6080
BLF Q8 4200
Emisar D4 XPL-Hi 3520
Sofirn C8F 2750
Acebeam EC50 Gen II 2420
Emisar D1 XPL-Hi 1292
Emisar D1S XPL-Hi 1296
BLF A6 1300
Zebralight SC62W 977
Jaxman E2L 811
HDS Ra Exec Hi CRI 100

Thanks for the comparisons.

Impressive with the HDS light. I don’t remember seeing that one listed here before.

I am sure it is luck that it happened to line up on the exact same number but still, I have to say I am very happy with the results since adding the correction discs. :blush:

Nice GW. Is your m43 219c ?

No, my Meteor M43 is XP-G2 S4 3D.

Yeah, I was impressed as well. The HDS Ra Executive is the only light I have that I know the “true” lumen rating of. I always used it as my calibration standard for ceiling bounce tests before I got your TA Tube.

Mine too… just tested the xpg2 m43 and got 6600 lumen @ turn on.

The M43 went though several revisions with different drivers and LED bins IIRC. Which is why it is not a very good comparison light.

Those readings look very reasonable except the X80 and DX80 does seem very low eventhough I don’t own them. I measured same make and model flashlights that vary by more than 30% lumen output. Also my D4 XPL-HI dropped about 25% or more in max output after I’ve been blasting turbo on that in the past year.

My TA lumen sphere works very well and consistent. I used to use ceiling bounce method but found out that it heavily favors throw lights over flood lights. Also the lux readings can change significantly by tilting the light even slightly. With TA lumen sphere, it doesn’t favor flood or throw and I can move the flashlight around and change the angle with virtually no effect on the lux readings. I have about 100 flashlights and TA tube appears very accurate when compared with more reputable brands. Remember the majority (90+ %) of the flashlight lumen ratings are greatly exaggerated by the manufacturer.

For comparison, my stock MF01 with nichia 219c on fully charged VTC6 makes 7,900 lumens at turn on. My M43 that I just received 2 months ago with xpg2 S4 5D tint makes 6,950 startup lumens. These are very, very reasonable numbers. I will buy Maukka calibration lights to confirm the accuracy and I suggest you do the same. But I’m very happy with how well my TA lumen sphere performs.

Agreed and tbh my lights have only been used for the occasional review/comparison, however unreliable a ceiling bounce is for 1 light v another my lights have always read the same compared to their former readings, none have lost efficiency yet. I’d be happy with the refund TA and if there’s anyone in the UK who is interested I can sell it on.

Some more readings:

Olight H2R NW - 2120
Rofis MR70 - 2220
Astrolux MF02 - 1750
Convoy S2+ 6500k - 650
Convoy S2+ 3000k - 560
Convoy C8+ 6500k - 750
Nitecore Tip CRI - 233
Nitecore Tip - 369
Lumintop Geek - 270
Acebeam UC15 - 830
Emisar D4 83 CRI - 2900
Emisar D4 XP-L diffused - 3000
Nitecore MH27uv - 785

If you sit the light on the diffuser and move it around the readings change significantly which proves beam attack angle effects the reading in the device after the 1st diffuser, the X80 and X45 get especially low readings as most of their lumens hit the tube sidewalls before even hitting the 1st diffuser. Sitting the X80 and X45 directly on the diffuser increased the readings massively as you’re taking the opening tube walls out of the equation, the X80 gained over 4,000 lumens!!!
Try using the TA Tube by aiming on an angle the beam at the side of the tube, it knocks an incredible amount of lumens off the reading. It’s a similar principle for some of the floodier lights tested.

Sitting on the diffuser didn’t have much impact on throwier lights readings - food for thought.

P.S. I’ve never read about M43 different drivers, and Hank confirmed this when I asked about it: Noctigon Meteor M43 official sales and discussion thread - #490 by Hank_Wang

Please show a picture of both measuring methods. I have never seen anything close to that kind of change in output from minor changes in position.

I have seen that kind of change from the black of the flashlight body being exposed to the tube and absorbing light though.

I am thinking that you might be taking the readings incorrectly and that could explain it.

Also, of course if you aim the light at the edge of the tube it will change the reading, you are exposing a lot more of the flashlight body to the tube and it absorbs light and reduces the readings. That is how a good sphere should work.

Can you Please post some fenix numbers, why is it that you are posting everything except fenix lights? They are the only major production light that can really be compared.

I stand corrected, it may of been the M34 I was thinking of or maybe I saw the same false info you did.

Everyone is getting the erroneous readings I am, only the Fenix light you calibrated it with will yield a correct result, if I did have one like I hypothetically proposed earlier then it will read correctly.
We’re going around in circles. Can I just get the partial refund you offered please?

Yes, I will send the refund when I get some time later but I also want to figure out if anything is wrong with the sphere.

Can you please post some Fenix lights? I don’t understand why you are so reluctant to do this?

You are bad mouthing my product yet All the data you have provided outside of 2 outliers is well within reason as multiple people have said / compared the numbers but these lights are not good comparisons since they are so inconsistent from the factory so it does not help much.

I simply want to see if the sphere actually has an issue or not.

Some pictures of how you were measuring the DX80 are needed as well, if it is really changing by 4000 lumens then I want to see what is causing it so I can try to replicate the issue on mine.

Stop it with the 1000 lumen Fenix light nonsense. I don’t know how many ways to say I don’t have one but if I did it would measure similar to yours due to the tube being made to read 1000 off the Fenix.

Also it was the X80 that I said gained 4,000 lumens by being sat on the 1st diffuser, the DX80 can’t fit through the tube opening. The X45 gained 2,000 lumens doing this.

I’m not that fussed about a partial refund tbh, I’m quite happy to just leave bad feedback for a product not fit for purpose and then move on, lesson learned.

I would Really prefer you not leave Negative feedback, I have worked very hard to keep my account clean on ebay.

That is why I am trying to make you happy though other methods since returning it is not a viable option. Plus the last unfair negative feedback I got earlier this year over a $5 PS2 game that didn’t work all the way through is the only one I can afford for the entire year while maintaining my top rated seller status.

How much of a refund would be needed to not leave negative feedback?

I am not even talking about a 1000 lumen fenix light, I am talking about ANY fenix light. My sphere is not calibrated to a fenix light BTW, I only own one of them and it is not my calibration light.

Fenix lights are simply the only consistent light we have found in this thread.

You said you had some earlier in the thread, you have all these expensive lights but yet no fenix lights? Not even a small one?

Putting the light directly on the diffuser will of course raise the lumens, that is not how it is calibrated and the light is spread over less of the diffuser so it is absorbing less light. It defeats the integrating part of the integrating sphere.

The $50 offer is generous.

Some of the lights dropped lumens when placed on the diffuser, the gain was for the wide spill lights as you take the walls out of the equation.

Then there’s the increased % losses as you go up in lumens, this I can’t explain, maybe the sensor struggles for accuracy as brightness increases?

Like I say someone needs to test the new 9000 Lumens Fenix light.

You keep saying that it reads lower when it goes up in lumnes yet all your numbers so far have shown the opposite?

Even your own ceiling bounce numbers show that the tube in fact reads higher as lumens go up compared to the ceiling bounce numbers.

If you have some other data that shows a different result, I would love to see it.

Even the 5000-6000 lumen lights people have compared match up well with your numbers, even if they are not consistent lights.

It is simply not possible for it to suddenly start reading less after 5000 lumens. It will have a linear percentage of losses that will remain more or less constant as lumens go up.

I just sent the $50 refund to you.

It was kinda all my keychain lights being 10% off and all my 7000-32000 lumen lights being 50-60% off

A diffuser at the opening of the tube for the lights to sit on would dramatically address a lot of discrepancies imo. Then work out how much percentage to add on as an average as every single light I’ve tested or have seen tested has read too low.

KG, you are the only dissatisfied customer.

Integrating spheres are supposed to show the truth, not match factory specs.

If you are interesting in building a different style sphere that is bigger in order to measure really high output lights, check out the first half of this old video where Matt uses an ice chest. The key is getting an actual calibrated light, from Maukka for instance, to find your own conversion factor for the lux meter.

Good luck.