Texas Avenger Driver for the XHP70.2 GT

Please add me for the Driver and MCPCB with the XHP70.2 for the GT, thanks.

I ordered another blf gt in Cw.

I am thinking i want to upgrade my old blf gt nw to xhp70.2 and whatever TA driver has… If i send the light to you, how much will you charged ?? Please pm me TA.

Suddenly lumintop got in contact with me and let me know they are officially moving forward with The XHP70.2 GT after over a year of trying to talk them into it.

I am guessing the XHP70.2 GT’s that sold on ebay for $495 played a large role in the sudden interest. Thanks to whoever bought those for getting this ball moving!

They nearly lost money on the last GT group buy, they only turned a profit with the last few hundred sells and it scared them. To put peoples minds at ease, the group buy price on the light will be much less then $500, still working on the exact pricing but I am trying to get them as low as possible. It will also be much smoother then time around.

Still got details to work out before I start a thread for it but it is in the works officially now. They are saying 2 months since most of the parts are re-used from the GT. Based on the GT GB, I figure 3+ months is a good guess but would love to be proven wrong lol.

Going forward on the group buys that I run I am* hoping to keep them to a start to finish timeline of ~3 months.* I can’t do another year long life eating group buy. 80 hour weeks are no fun. Plus I really feel bad for all the people that had to wait months and months for the lights, it was not fair to them.

Lastly lumintop ALSO suddenly showed interest in another project I have been pitching them for almost a year now as well. It would be the biggest and most expensive BLF light so far by a fair margin but boy, would it be a light like nothing else on the market…… :innocent: :wink: :cowboy_hat_face:

I have been telling them, if they build it, they will come but it seems they needed some evidence of that.

I am definitely interested already, can you say if it’s a thrower or flooder?

Around how much to start saving?

Can’t say much of anything yet as it is still in the VERY early stages, just an idea at this point. I would be surprised if it is out this year.

It will be big, it will be powerful and it will be like nothing else in production or even most of the extreme modded lights I have seen.

Price I have no idea at this point other then the components cost alone will be in the 3 digits range easily, not including the light itself.

I will say I started pitching this idea because I wanted an end all light to be king of my collection and just could not make it out of any existing hosts.

Did Texas_Ace not post a link to his new thread here?

The BLF GT70 "Giggle Monster" is coming! 7,500lumens, 1,500m throw!

Complete lights as well as upgrade kits. Check it out.

TA, did you ever discuss the differences of running a resistor bank as opposed to the AMC7135’s?

I believe the reason for the change was due to a lack of raptor claw 7135 and that they were also borderline functional at these higher voltages. So I can understand wanting to switch to something more reliable. I’m just curious as to what actual effects it has on the driver such as efficiency in the lower levels.

Basically 7135’s are not reliable at 6V or above, at 12V they die instantly.

For example a big part of the problems with the MT09R drivers were the 7135’s, they had a very high failure rate at 2S voltages.

So this is the only real option for a second channel at these voltages.

It allows for a smooth ramp, lower low modes ect. All the reasons we like multi-channel drivers and it is reliable.

I won’t be using 7135’s for 2S+ lights again, I have had way too many issues with them.

Are there any negative effects from using resistors?

There must have been a reason 7135 were chosen in the first place over resistors, right?

They take up more room then a 7135’s, they cost more to assemble then 7135’s as well and they don’t give a truly regulated low mode. Although with ramping firmware this is not that big of a deal.

So cost and simplicity are the largest reasons for their use. You know exactly what the light will do regardless of the Vf of the LED.

For 1S setups the 7135’s are still ok, although I have been seeing an abnormally high failure rate on them recently. Seems every prototype driver I get with them from china has a bad 7135 lately. For 2S and above, they are not options at all.

[quote=Texas_Ace]

there are options even pin compatible problem is often you got to redo all PWM values as they are slower
then they cost like 5 times what a 7135 from china costs
Linear regulators with like 1-2A get disqualified by heat management on a regular driver

for space of 523 or 323 FET+2 0805 0.5W resistors is as big as an AMC here on 20mm

on the back of this 17mm you can literally put enough for a decent current, but still the heat wont get as goot conducted to the driver edge as with AMCs its the case

Apologies for dumb question. I’m new here.

Is anyone selling this driver assembled flashed and ready to drop in? Other than through the upgrade package in the group buy?

I’m really interested in it for another spot light build but I have never done any surface mount circuit board soldering, and I’m a bit nervous to start.

If not I guess ill be getting an upgrade package…

For the GT driver I only made a limited batch of them as it would of been pointless to try to compete with Lumintop once they released it.

Lexel might still have some for sale, you could ask him.

Otherwise ordering the GT70 conversion kit is the only real option.

Just so you know the group buy ends on the 31st.

ok. thanks for the info. i think ill just go the group buy, seems like a pretty great deal anyway.

I’m confused. Are you basically asking for a FET driver for the BLF GT? That won’t work as you’d burn up the xhp35-HI. If you plan to swap in a xhp70.2 then the conversion kit is about the only way to get the correct mcpcb.

Are you asking about a different model thrower light? Does it happen to use the same diameter driver as the GT?

If you just want a different sized FET driver for a different light, Lexel makes those here.

thanks Jason, I’m looking at building my own spot light using the TA driver and 70.2 . seems like the only way to get that exact driver is the group buy. for $100 aud is a bit over the top for me though. think i will just use a big buck driver and a remote mounted pot. that will be all the functionality and performance I need. doesn’t have to be efficient in my case.

What will you be powering it with?

If you have room for it and don’t need modes an external buck converter is actually the better option for you I think. You could setup an external pot on the converter to have a ramping brightness dial as well if you wanted to get fancy.

One good alternative would be to get a 6V MCPCB for the XHP70.2 and replace the driver with Lexel’s driver to get a regulated 8A to the LED.

That would still net you 5500+ lumens with some excellent throw.

thanks TA i think you’re right. it’s for a plug in hand held spot light in a car. should be starting about 13v. external pot should be just the ticket. although I’ll probably just leave ot on full boar hehe.

Hi TA,

Are these drivers still available for the BLF GT?

“The mcpcb is not currently available so you will need to customize an mcpcb for this mod right now.”

I’m ordering a conversion kit from nealsgadgets and it has a MCPCB so I’m guessing the above is irrelevant to me? Will I be good to go just doing a driver swap