Texas Avenger Driver for the XHP70.2 GT

thanks TA i think you’re right. it’s for a plug in hand held spot light in a car. should be starting about 13v. external pot should be just the ticket. although I’ll probably just leave ot on full boar hehe.

Hi TA,

Are these drivers still available for the BLF GT?

“The mcpcb is not currently available so you will need to customize an mcpcb for this mod right now.”

I’m ordering a conversion kit from nealsgadgets and it has a MCPCB so I’m guessing the above is irrelevant to me? Will I be good to go just doing a driver swap

The kit from Neal has all you need, the driver, the mcpcb with 70.2 and the new centering ring.

All pieces need to be installed.

This FET driver will burn up the little xhp35-HI. It only works with the 70.2.

Yeah, I meant I’ll be using the 70.2 emitter with this driver but after reading previous comments it looks like TA no longer makes it.

Correct, I ran out of the last batch and it did not look like there was enough interest for more. I generally only make a driver if there is interest enough to sell at least 25-50 drivers. Just not worth the hassle for less.

Like Jason said you can get the conversion kit from Neal now and that has everything you need.

Might not be as crisp, but look at the surrounding area is all lit up with the 70.2 as well as the tower. So much more light.

Well I finally did the mod with your parts kit. Honestly it was a bit more difficult than I thought as my soldering skills needed a serous tune up. It all came together though and when I hit the button…… SHAZAAM! Instant mega thrower! I have the NW version and shaved the dome as much as possible. The tint is still neutral white with no real yellowing that I noticed when used outside. It throws as far if not further than my OG XHP35 HI, but with a much larger hot spot.

Thanks TA for making an already great light even more awesome!!! If anyone is on the fence about doing this, do it NOW! You won’t regret it!

I’m not really familiar with this driver and board. Is there a diagram or instructions that you could pm me or direct me to on this? Any disco modes?

Thanks much!

Great, glad you got it working! Soldering it with an iron would not be fun at all. Using hot air and solder paste it is really quite simple, the hardest part is applying the solder paste and placing all the components.

Far as the manual, I am not 100% sure what firmware you used but I assume it is the GT70 firmware, in which case the GT70 manual should be what you want. Although really it is very close to the normal GT firmware, just tweaks to the mode sets and minor things mostly.

There are some strobe modes, they are just disabled by default. You can enable them in the menu.

I bought my original XHP 35BLFGT second hand and I never really played around with the programming. So I’m assuming it is set on stock. I can tell you though with a double click from Turbo and went to Strobe mode. Could you put me in the direction of the menu for this programming?

This should be what you are looking for

I’ve got some videos showing NarsilM features as well as how to make changes in the menu. The link is in my signiture below.

I Can’t get the blinks modes to work like it did before I modified it. When installing it I had trouble soldering the wires and the board might’ve got a little warmer than it should have possibly. Could this have damaged some of the circuitry? Otherwise everything else seems to function as it should with the exception of the blinky modes not working

The blinky modes are disabled by default in the firmware, have you enabled them in the menu options?

I still can’t find the operating menu / directions for this. I couldn’t get the info u posted to open. Please help!

Try this one, it is Zip format instead

Thanks. Got it.

Now I’ve done it. I couldn’t figure out how to enter the programming mode. I watched Matt’s video. It was in ramping mode other than having no Blinky mode. I held the button down for eight seconds but nothing. So I did what it said not to do, I held the switch down for 16 seconds now the only thing I have is a stepwise mode and no ramp in. How do I reset it to factory settings so I can try again

It should have the reset procedure in the quick reference guide you downloaded. You first enter voltage monitoring mode, then temp and then reset but I forgot the exact button presses.

When in step mode, just hold the button down for 4 seconds and it will go into programming mode.

After 2 fast and 1 slow blink, you have about 2 seconds. Click twice, make sure the main led also confirms these presses. Then leave it alone until it cycles out of programming mode.

Now you will be back in ramping.

Here is a video showing how the menu works.

Here is a video showing me disabling strobe mode. In your case, instead of one click you will do 2 or 3 depending on what you prefer.

If you need to do a factory reset, here is the procedure.

Battery check is a triple click. Do that and it will blink out the battery voltage over and over.

Give it a few seconds at least, then do a dbl click. Now it will blink out the temperature “in Celsius”.

Give it a few seconds at least, then do a dbl click. Now it will blink out the firmware number.

Now to reset it, you press and hold for 1.2 seconds and you should see it do 4 blinks.

So its: 3x, 2x, 2x, press and hold for 1.2 secs.

Thanks much! Not sure how I did it, but it’s back to factory settings. I’m still not sure how to get it to programming mode. I want to turn the strobe settings on though. Any help would be much appreciated!

Getting to programming mode is easy. Maybe too easy. Did you watch my videos?

In ramping and mode sets you just hold down the button. In ramping you hold the button maybe 8 or 16 seconds (ramping downward helps). In mode sets you hold the button maybe 4 seconds.