Texas Avenger "TA" Driver series - Triple channel + Bistro or Narsil + Clicky or E-switch - The Ultimate open source driver!

Thanks Lexel…

Just received my order of 210 350's from lcsc and they sure look like the real raptor claw. Though I haven't tried them yet, but I never saw fake marked ones.

Thanks Lexel! I think for me, I have a lifetime supply now!

Lexel - not sure if TA is listening in on this, but do you have better ramping tables for triple channels? I'm still not happy with the one I have in the current NarsilM baseline. I thought a while back I incorporated yours into NarsilM but not sure now. Maybe TK has a better ones for triple channels in Anduril?

In theory these tables should be tweaked separately for banks of 3, 6, or 8 7135's -- think those are the popular #'s but some drivers have more than 8 as well.

Basically also each different LED setup combined with AMC count would need a different table
like single Emitter different tables 1, 3, 8, 16 AMCs
triple and quads 1, 3, 8, 16 AMCs
3x XHP70.2 builds with AMCs also, but here I would go with small FET plus resistors aproach

generally more AMCs and triple channel needs more tweaking to get a proper result, basically Toykeeper and Emisar tweaked it for D4 and D4S but it would need different tables on different lights every time

I know the ramping table I use is not ideal linear its slower on low and high output and the medium ramps about linear

Hi Tom, just in case you missed it while you were gone Harley and Lexel developed programming keys that use spring loaded pogo pins instead of the programming clip. Should be able to flash the driver without removing it from the flashlight, just need the matching driver.

Also Harley has some new boards shared on Oshpark. OSH Park ~ Shared Projects by HQ

Ohhh, no, wasn't aware of it. Interesting though - why use the old SOIC-8 part then, because you could save space with the smaller square package?

Not much info on OSHPark - I suppose these are really in use? Not much info, not many choices i drivers as well - what is the L1 component on those boards?

I’m not sure what he is doing there, maybe he’s using a small fet, an inductor and some resistors to replace the 7135’s. The inductor is small so it will have some resistance and maybe the inductance might smooth out some flicker at moon.

I’d like to ask him about it but he hasn’t logged on for a while.

I just wanted you to know about the programming key, it should make testing Narsil changes a lot easier for you. This is Harley’s thread about his programming key. [Oshpark] HQ ProgKey - Universal Driver Programming Key

Lexel has a key for his drivers but I don’t think he has shared any designs that use it on Oshpark.

I have wanted to implement one of they key styles to my new drivers but have not seen a good writeup on how the pinout, spacing ect should be. Is there a thread about this someplace? Possibly a pattern for the vias?

Also naturally an oshpark design for the key itself is needed.

Lexel’s key BLF driver programming key v3.2 launched on Oshpark

Harley Quinn’s key [Oshpark] HQ ProgKey - Universal Driver Programming Key

Link to Harley’s Oshpark page if you want to download a working driver OSH Park ~ Shared Projects by HQ

Thanks for the links.

Like tom said I like the fact we could use QFN MCU’s with this setup as it would free up a lot of board space.

A driver I am working on in my off time will need a QFN MCU to fit.

Switching to QFN is what I’m hoping for, this will allow switching to a MCU with more pins as well as more memory. Toykeeper has started work on making Anduril compatible with an 841, I don’t know how much progress has been made or if she has any hardware to test with.

There is a third programming key but it is Lone Oceans design and used on the GXB172 driver. [ GXB172 - 50W Single Cell 17mm Boost Driver! ]

IIRC you were given a GXB172 driver for testing. Did you come across any hardware problems?

I did indeed get a GXB172 driver and it is really nice. No issues I just sadly have not had the time to really dig into that project. I am still a massive fan of that driver setup, I think high current boost drivers are the future for 1 or 2 cell lights. Only real issue I had with this light was the firmware, I am so used to Bistro/Narsil it is really hard to use anything else, even if it is ok by itself.

I have been wanting to swap out the LED for one of the 90cri XHP50.2’s I ordered some time ago but just never got around to it. Every time I think I will have time to play with those a prototype or issues pops up with one of the projects I am working on and sucks the time away lol.

Good to hear the hardware is good, another forum member has offered to build some drivers at cost. It would be a shame if that blew up in his face somehow. Any intrest in loneoceans's 50w boost 17mm driver?

I wasn’t expecting there to be anything wrong, Gao seems really gifted at this stuff. He’s released a revision on Oshpark but its mostly moving components around and cleaning up some silk screening. Some minor changes to allow the use of e-switches. Added some alternate parts for 12v led’s to the BOM.

I could live with the firmware if I could adjust the levels somehow. Hopefully Toykeeper figures out the 841 and making the necessary changes to Bistro isn’t too hard.

Wow, more power to him. Heck if it was still open I would grab some myself!

I have gotten so burnt out on building drivers by hand I just can’t bring myself to do it for my own uses anymore lol.

I have build a Convoy C8+ and S2+ and a Sofirn C8F using TA drivers with some nice and useful help from this thread. :slight_smile:

Now I have built a 2S clicky TA driver for a XHP70 flashlight but it won’t light up. First when I soldered everything it worked with only one high mode. After some tweaking it completely stopped working and didn’t light up any more. If I connect the wires to the XHP70 the dies glow slightly. :weary:

To me it seems everything is connected properly but I don’t know why it doesn’t work then. Is anyone familiar with this symptoms? Could you please suggest me where to find the error?

It sounds like there was a short when you first installed everything that was direct driving the LED. The reflector shorting on the mcpcb wires is common for this.

Now it sounds like the LED might be dead, if it overheated this is possible.

I used only the driver and the led for testing. I stopped before the MCPCB got hot so if I hold the thin leads of the battery holder to the led it still works. It could have been a short first but the driver stopped working completely now.

can be many things, unless you have a multimeter to check things hard to guess whats happening

sometimes people burn out the 4.7Ohm resistor by short on the 5V LDO supply somewhere
LDO can be broken
MCU smoked by 8.4V input

I have a multimeter and can check things. I have no LDO on the 22mm TA driver board as I use it with a clicky switch. How can I test if the MCU is broken?

you say you run the driver 2S and not use an LDO?

2S —> 8.4V —> smoked MCU

Yes, if you are using it with 2s voltages then you really need one of the LDO versions of the drivers. Technically you can use a zener diod but frankly I never trusted it after having random issues when doing it that way. I just removed the pad from the last designs.