That "USB Rechargeable" thing is growing on me...

Or, if it uses a standard battery, then you can certainly quick reload like with any other flashlight.

In my collection, the 18650 flashlights with micro USB recharging:

Thrunite TC10 v2, TC12 v2.
Eagle Eye X2R, X5R, X6R.
Nitecore MH20.
On The Road X5 (can take 26650).

If you gift these flashlights to someone, you need to remind them to press the switch and turn ON the flashlight to activate the recharging.

I carry a Fenix UC35 in my backpack. I’ve stopped using it, because high CRI 5000K light looks vastly better then the UC35’s low CRI 6500K, but it’s found a new role as a waterproof portable USB charger, spare 18650 cell carrier and emergency backup light.

Thank you for all the comments and suggestions.

I’ll certainly grab a Eagle Eye X2R to see for myself. Although moderatly powerful, it looks like the perfect gift to non flashaolics.

I realize that i have a JETBeam E10R on the way that i ordered before starting this thread… I guess the seed was already planted! 14500/AA 600+ lumens with built-in usb charger (that can handle both Li-Ion and NiMH). What else? I hope it’ll honor the claimed specs but that should indeed be a very versatile light.

Even better yes! I can imagine a SRK clone acting as a very decent power bank with its four 18650. How about adding an R to next iteration of the BLF Q8?

I have several lights with USB charge capability. Klarus AR-10, Convoy BD03, JETBeam Mini-1 and Mini-1 Ti, Olight S10R11 (via USB charge dock), Imalent DN11, to name a few. I love them (even have a few more on the way (Nitecore NU20/30, JETBeam E10r…), but deep in the back of my head, I can’t help but think that sooner or later, that USB port is going to fail. I will say that the charge dock of the Olight is probably the most robust design, the clip-on USB thingy of the BD-03 coming in a close second, and the ports on the JETBeam minis probably third. In the case of the Olight and Convoy designs, their draw back is, one more thing to possibly lose. Oh well, more stuff to buy, I guess. :slight_smile:

As with many things, adding features can also add complexity which often increases things like MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure). Adding a charge port means one more thing to break, HOWEVER that does not mean they don’t have their advantages. It’s definitely nice to have the option to charge your battery in your flashlight when packing light, etc… I like the bullet-proof reliability of simple lights, like the Convoy S2+ or even more so, the JETBeam Jet-1 MK. With so little moving parts, there aren’t a lot of things that can go wrong with a twisty head, so from a reliability stand point, they get top marks in my book. That being said, tactical tail switch lights also have their niche.

Fortunately, as flashaholics, we don’t need to limit ourselves. :smiley:

For a budget option, you can also look at this

Zoom flashlight.

For non zoom, there is the A5

My Eagle Exy X2R just arrived - very nice light, well-made, simple low-med-high modes. The only negative I see is that the rubber flap over the USB port seems a bit cheap. Not sure if the flap will hold up to repeated use.

Look up the jkk35 has 3 18650 and two USB slots. 3x xml2 LEDs as well. Claims 2800 lumens I believe there’s a code on blf that still works brings it below $50 on bangood

Here is a review of the light mentioned & linked in the OP.
I have three of them. They are actually a pretty decent little light. Well worth the money.

It was dubbed with the name “CFG-01”. (Cheap-Fake-Good-01)

Again, well worth the modest price.
:slight_smile:

EDIT: To add video review

I am more into rechargeables that ever before, with first choice in design like the magnetic Klarus, Olight and Supbeam/Acebeam, then the micro-usb ones.

All for these reasons: Very convenient, can easily be given or sold easily if I grow tired of them, and if the recharging eventually malfunctions, the cell/batteries can still be re-charged outside of the light.

Imo i don’t like magnetic charging. Especially for my edc light
I need to bring a special cable for my light, one more thing to forget( i usually bring powerbank and micro usb for my edc, so as not to worrry about my phone battery)

I have 1 USB torch a lumintop SDmini and just used a USB Volt Current Voltage Meter and am surprised at the 800ma

for some reason I just figured it would be 500ma

Well my joining here was a blessing, if I had not found BLF I would have treated my first 18650 cell poorly. An Ultrafire bought with a poor G700 clone and no name rattling charger, oh the horror.

I really love lights with good build in changing and would not give anything with li ion away.
I have been testing and searching for the good lights with build in charging.
I prefer using a separate charger my self but as gifts Convoy BD series and now Thrunite TC12 are very nice.

So I just purchased an Eagle Eye X5R - that will be my fifth USB rechargeable light. I’ll let you guys know how I like it when it gets here.

it does use any totally stock standard 18650, i thought that was well known

it;s a pretty good light

smaller than most 18650s, almost pocketable to me

wle

Then how is it “not ok” if you want to quickly load in a fresh battery?
If it uses a standard battery then you have both options, there is literally no down side of the USB recharging because you have the option to just put a new battery in.

Well waterproofing is an obvious downside of most
That is why I love the Convoy BD series.

What’s special about them?

What I don’t like about that is it’s a special small bit to have handy with the torch when you want to charge it. Small bits tend to get lost or damaged, and how easy is it to find replacements? It’s not the sort of thing they sell in convenience stores sitting next to the USB cables. At least I haven’t seen them. It defeats a lot of the convenience of USB charging IMHO.

I’d say a better solution is something that’s sealed with an O ring and you unscrew to reveal the USB socket. Properly sealed and a universal connector and nothing to get lost.

I’d say most people who are going to buy, or be given, a USB rechargeable torch are going to keep it in the house and might have to go out in the rain, but are not going to spend hours in downpours or drop their torch in puddles. So while I have reservations about the captive rubber plug, it’s probably good enough for most.

I totally agree, especially with the part about it being O-ring sealed. :+1: