The 11th Annual Old Lumens challenge - Winners announced!

Congratulations all!

Thanks to the organisers and the sponsors as well as all the participants who in my opinion had much cooler builds than mine, this was my first time entering so I was pleaseantly surprised that I managed to get 2nd place. I would like to claim the Convoy 3x21D SBT90 as my prize.

4 Thanks

Congrats to the winner. I loved the ideas and being able to follow the projects . Great job all!

1 Thank

Congratulations to all participants and many thanks to Hoop and the judges for making this contest another full success. :flashlight: :sunglasses:

I have a question about the Countycomm prize. Does this shop ship to Europe?
If it doesn’t I can’t choose it even if it would be the only remaining prize.

1 Thank

I believe there is a minimum order value for int’l shipping.

from their webpage… International Orders – CountyComm

"We offer shipping to Canada for orders over $75.00.
We offer shipping to APO for orders over $50.00.
We offer international shipping to some countries for orders over $150.00.
If we do not offer shipping to your region please follow the steps below to place your order.

All customers have the right to request insurance for any outgoing international package at time of ordering. Must contact Mike@countycomm.com within 2 hours of ordering to verify additional cost based on the the value of the package and the location being shipped to.

For all other international orders:

We have partnered with comGateway to provide fast and reliable international shipping at the lowest rates.

How it works in 3 simple steps:

1. Sign up for a free account on USGoBuy
  2. Use their BuyForMe service to place your order with us
  3. We will send your order to USGoBuy, who will then arrange your international shipping for you.
    "
2 Thanks

Congrats for the winners.
Thank for judges and organizers, sorry for taking time to response, situation here is not simple.
Since @Skylight wants the Countycomm coupon, I will take the Convoy 3X21D SBT90.2.

Actually, I would have preferred the Convoy 3x21D SBT90.2. I just asked about the Countycomm coupon because I assumed you would want the Convoy 3x21D.

Ok, the Convoy 3x21D SBT90.2 will go to YuvalS.

Skylight receives the $100 CountyComm gift card. I contacted CountyComm and they said the international order minimum is really only $75. CountyComm has tons of cool gear so I’m sure you’ll find something you like! For example, check out their glow marker and glow tags. :grin:

That wraps it up for this year’s challenge, with the exception of the people’s choice awards, which are still ongoing. Be sure and get your vote in!

Thanks again to all participants, sponsors, judges and organizers.

I hope everyone had some fun.

2 Thanks

Yes, in my opinion contest was a success. Definitely had lots of fun along the way. Also made sure to cast the vote!

1 Thank

Congrats to the winners, some very cool lights in there.

1 Thank

I received my prize selection order from countycomm.com today. :smiley: They processed the order very quickly and the USPS did a speedy delivery.

Nothing I selected has anything directly to do with flashlights. I have had my eye on the silicone workbench parts trays and the metal boxes for a year though. The attached images show the two bags and other things I selected. Well, two of the metal boxes are missing from the photos. My wife appropriated them for her use. I may have to order some more. I also received a 10% off code for a future order.

The trays are thick silicone and should be great for putting the small parts of whatever I am taking apart, putting together, without the risk of losing one. The boxes are steel with hinged and snug-fitting lids. The orange divider in one open box is silicone. They fit very snugly in the box and will not fall out. Great for small parts or earrings and finger-rings while traveling. :smiley:The soft bags are very well stitched from a heavy-duty sailcloth. The contrasting orange inside lining makes it easier to find stuff. YKK zippers are used and they are a larger than normal size.

4 Thanks

Sorry for not being responsive, I am on very little net access.
I did not understand that you were interested in the Convoy.

No problem, you had the free choice. I’m glad that there was a prize remaining for me.

1 Thank

My prize also arrived :

I will build a nice 3d printed rugged box for it :wink:

Thanks again and congratulations to the People´s Choice Award winner

1 Thank

Congrats to all the winners and participants. WELL DONE!
Thanks to the committee who has done their job on their spare time.

I recieved my prize during the week. I ended up going with the convoy 3x21 D. Its an awesome light and plenty of throw for its size. Thank you so much to the organizers and Simon Mao from Convoy!!

Got a chance to test it, it even matches my Amutorch DM90 at 2/3 the size.

May begin thinking about another build for next year!

5 Thanks

Got my ‘mystery thrower’ from Skylumen, a Manker E05 II Ti.

With SN 4444. :smiley:

I measured 1350 lm after 5 sec, very good tint and beam.

6 Thanks

:+1: :+1:

1 Thank

It’s been a few weeks since I received my prize, the Convoy 3x21D but I’ve finally gotten around to modding it. Thanks to the organisers and sponsors, as well as all the competitors for the contest.

I unfortunately forgot to document the mods, but the following were done:

• Replaced stock 24AWG LED wires with much chunkier 16AWG ones
  • Stuffed some 18AWG wire into the springs for a bypass
  • Used some Lishen LR2170LH cells

With these mods I can acheive nearly 1Mcd OTF, though I plan on ordering the 54A FET (rated) driver from Simon and using 3 of those FETs to potentially get close to 30A through that SBT90.2

Bonus thermal image, the Convoy ramping UI is pretty conservative and ramps down at 50°

2 Thanks

I modded mine slightly differently, got a peak of 1005kcd OTF.

I used doubled-up wires, a DM11 driver (for anduril and lower modes through the linear) and LR2170LH cells. On momentary turbo it gets hot almost as fast as my D4Sv2 SFT40

If you want more power, don’t bypass the tailsprings, instead replace the tailspring plate with copper and use BeCu springs (from Hank) for a minimal resistance. It’s what I’m going to do eventually.

3 Thanks

I might do the same and order the 3v 50A SFH55.2 LED from Kaidomain hoping to get close to 12,000 LM. My only concern is overheating and reduced runtime. It looks like a bigger Xhp70.3 high intensity version so it should still throw well.