The 3x 5x 7x 16x t6 bike lights

Folks, I’d like to pick up a replacement front bike light. Ideally something cheap with a decent output - more than the 400lm my hope light currently gives.
I’m leaving towards the models advertised at 3x or 5x… right up to 16x t6 led lamps. Link below.
My question is, should i opt for the lights with more led’s?
Are they likely to give greater output?

Alternatively, is there something else I should consider in this price range?

I need to last for 2hrs of commute and would like as much useable light as I can.

Many thanks

https://goo.gl/images/ZabHVy

Link for reference,but may get from elsewhere.

More Leds does not always equal great lumen OTF output. I would also be on the side of cautious of lights like you show actually being anywhere near their rated output.

I have seen this light come up posted before in subjects of bike lights, Lumintop C01. It is rated at 400lumens which I know is right at what you are asking for. However its design is pretty interesting if you look at how the LED is mounted to stop from blinding other people, VIDEO CHECK OUT

More XM-L T6s would mean higher efficiency, to a certain point, depending on the actual lumens output. Higher efficiency = higher lumens for the same watts, less heat output, which itself leads to even higher efficiency albeit that’s a slight effect only….and also longer run times which is usually more crucial in bike lights vs our flashaholic’s fun use unless if you are talking about the typical 20-30 mins ride around the neighbourhood.
You already mentioned that you’d need 2hrs, so that’s not low. Personally if you want a reasonably bright light, i’d go for the 3 or 5 x XM-L versions rather than a single XM-L. 4 x 18650 pack is what you’d wanna aim for. No need to do those 16 x XM-Ls.
There are lights utilizing more efficient emitters, but the lights do cost more also due to the “current tech” thingy.

However, more emitters without a bigger reflector (head diameter) comes at the expense of throw, coz each emitter is driven at a lower level, eg if your driver total output is say 7A total. ie lower emitter surface luminosity.

In short, it really depends on how much the driver is pushing out to the LEDs. Just take that each XM-L is capable of around 900 lumens,

You can check out the Fenix BC35R, it has a beam cutoff for the top part of the light’s output so that it does not blind oncoming traffic and pedestrains. If it’s for mountain trails riding, then typical round reflectors are fine.

One more thing, those China stuff with 3-5 XM-L, would definitely give more than the Hope light that you currently have, which you said you’d hope to have a higher outpout > 400lm.
Typically they give about 1500-2000 lumens, it should satisfy you more than enough. :slight_smile: The throw range should be more or less the same as your current light as well.
If you are in motion, the light should be ok and not overheat even well past 1hr continuous.

However, i think without beam cutoff for these budget lights, the spill light would be somewhat blinding to oncoming traffic that’s near to ya, so do take note of that. It’d definitely raise your night visibility, that’s for sure. :smiley:

Oh yeah one more thing, these cheap chinese budgetlights, you only operate them at the max mode. The medium or low modes usually have PMW, the flicker effect that you get when you are travelling fast, so if you are going to be riding moderately fast, the middle and low modes are going to be somewhat disorienting. So take that into account as well.

For a proper bike light you need special optics or reflector that spread the light similar to car lights, a flashlight is not really nice for anyone crossing your way as you spread way too much light above the horizont

In some countries like Germany proper regulations for bike lights are present limiting the lux value and beam pattern that are allowed to make them save similar to car lights

The Fenix BC35R is one of those lights that have a designed cut-off facula line so that it does not blind oncoming traffic. But i think is very much over OP’s budget.
XHP 50, 1800 lumens, 2 x 18650

You can make a lid that blocks light yourself from a diffuser.
Here’s how smokuxx1987 has done it :

I do like the idea of a cut off beam, but that fenix is way over budget. Any other good option for road use that might be more suitable than the lumintop?
Thanks for the replies guys!

http://kaidomain.com/bike-lights-and-bike-accessories/Bike-Lights/KDLITKER-Bike%20Lights/KDLITKER-BL70s-Cree-XHP70_2-3000-Lumens-4-Mode-LED-Bike-Light

Check out this XHP70.2 thing from Kaidomain 36 USD BL70S . I got one of those and its not bad, I believe its a genuine XHP70.2 I also measured the power, about 20W from the battery. and its pushing 2.4 Amps thrugh the LED at max. The thermal design is allright actually, with a solid wall behind a copper mpcb, no thermal junctions.

Modding to get the amps up is possible by adding a few 0.25 Ohm sense resistors and going for a 3S battery pack. Doing that i can push this thing to 50W , and about 5 A through the Led. :slight_smile: Only for full speed downhill off course, it gets pretty hot at that power. but damn its bright, dont have equipment for measuring lux, but its more than bright enough for downhill skiing/biking.

I found this Flying Egg F20, but on goggle it appears that it’s mainly on sale in the asia pacific region only. 750lm, light cut off.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.283.19e599a2uZm71G&id=521469240064&ns=1&abbucket=12#detail

Maybe Fenix BC25R, 600 lumens with light cut off. Use it together with your current light, shd be sufficient as a boost.

Take a look at Gaciron on Aliexpress

I have no experience with them but it seems they sell some decent products.

NightShade you didn’t mention your price range.
So I guess less than $50 US?

I would also suggest the LuminTop C01
My review is here. The Lumintop produces a very good light pattern onto the roadway. You can extend the run time with a USB power bank as well.

Another light I use is the JetBeam BR10GT.
The JetBeam is a glorified flashlight with a handlebar mount. For the money I think is a reasonable value. It can be purchased for less if you search. The beam of the JetBeam is not to the German headlight standard however, it is circular bright hot spot with pronounced corona. One of my likes about the Jet Beam is the included 18650 cell when depleted can be replaced during the ride with a fully charged spare cell.

More pricey is the BT40 .
I do not have experience with this but I am considering this light myself, I believe it very popular with the Mountain Bike Review forum members. This light is more in line with what you have linked to in your post.

Good Luck! let us know what you find!

Thanks guys, that gives me some good options to look into.

Shame there isn’t a BLF special edition bike light!

Hi guys, couple more questions if I may.

First is anyone aware of replacement packs for these lights - something with reputable cells?
Maybe I could learn to make one but it would be nice if you could buy them ready made.

2nd, with the 4 cell 18650 packs wired 2p, 2s, can I use any charger that fits? I have a hope charger designed to charge a hope 2 cell pack that is trust a bit more….?

Thanks