The best thrower is still the Solarforce MPP-1

Possibly because the head alone is more than twice what I paid for a T13 recently? How much better is it than a T13? Does it beat a T08? Are you using it in a single or dual cell config? How is the beam profile? Is it more like a T13 or does it have a lot of spill like the HD2010?

I ask because I’m considering getting one and would appreciate the input. I have several SF single cell lights and it might make a nice addition. Do you recommend the single or dual cell config?

Sorry man but 350m of throw may have been good when that light first came out but there is simply no way anyone can seriously consider the MPP-1 still the best thrower.

From the Solarforce site specs:

- Powerful and extreme output up to 275 lumens*

- Aluminum alloy reflector with efficiently focusing and smooth reflective surface for lighting range up to 350m

The C8 is not a thrower in spite of what many think and I have a hard time believing it beats the T13 unless you have a very underdriven sample. What cell are you running in your HD2010?

You must be talking about stock C8’s I take it?

I have modded C8’s that most certainly are throwers indeed.

We are talking stock but even still a modded real thrower will vastly out do your modded C8. Yes, you can get a C8 to throw but not like you can mod a real thrower to throw. :wink:

……

This comes up first in a search, perhaps people find it off-putting.

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/7030

Yeah, probably. I found it interesting that it has over 1000 reads and not one reply.

Hi Speedsix, do you refer to them modded or unmodded?

2100 compared it to an STL-V6, saying “…both are about the same on the lux meter…”

Just curious Speedsix. Are you measuring this with a meter? Or just going by what you see? Unless your A60 is greatly under powered it will definitely out throw your ZY-T13 and your HD 2010 providing that they are stock. They should both be under 55kcd.The stock Jacob was between 70-75kcd. XM-L throwers appear to throw farther because they are brighter with lots of bright spill . I had two Jacobs, one stock and one modded. Either one would post higher candela numbers than any XM-L thrower that me or my brother own until we got the TN31 and the K40. That means it beat my Crelant 7g5 v1, Eagletac M3C4, Olight sr51, ZY-T08 & ZY-T13. I am not familiar with the SF MPP-1 but if it beats the Jacob in all out throw I want one!

I bought it after careful consideration and Foys glowing review. I was not impressed with it’s performance. Mine has the shoddy reflector also.
Sure leaves a ugly feeling in your gut when you feel like you got taken. I’ve been tempted to sell it on BLF but I would have to disclose it’s shortcomings. So it just collects dust on the shelf.
Sorry to be a “Debbie Downer”

“Major buzz-kill”

I thinks a MPP-1 is still under 50K at 1meter.

You need to get a TN31VN from Vinh if you want to talk about throw. Try 500K or more.

671yds to end of gravel or the sign on the right

Here’s a more zoomed in shot so you can see it actually did light up the road at the end of the gravel.

The K40VN on the left ain’t a bad choice either at around 400K or so. TN31VN on the right

Amazing lights ILF!!

The MPP-1 sounds ok but I do doubt it is the best standard thrower round for the price. If, as a comparison notes above, it is the same throw as the earlier fandyfire Stl-v6, I would take the FF anyday for its excellent light output - beam width plus throw. At 275-300 lumens and 50k lux the MPP-1 must be a pencil beam - more limited application.

Here is a light hunters buy by the hundreds in NZ - about same price as the MPP-1 but with 1200 lumens and alot higher lux at 73k (540m ANSI). This a well made light with both long range plus beam width - quite a bit more throw than the earlier FF and I’d expect it to easily outthrow the MPP-1. 10 minutes dedome and you have 150-180k (about 770-850m ANSI).

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/MAXTOCH-SN6X-2S-usd59-50-free-shipping-S-for-Superb-Upgrade-SN6X-2-CREE-XM-L2/955206794.html

Dam I’d like to play with some of those Vinh things. Our tweaked dedomed hunting maxtoch SN6X-2s run at 170-230k and maintain good runtime - but 500k would be something else.

Speedsix may have provided a clue when he mentioned the lego capability of the light. He also didn’t mention whether the light is stock or modded. If the MPP-1 will accept a P60 pill, and the focus is adjustable, could it still be considered a stock light?

My results with the MPP1 and my closest lights;

UF980L – 21.1K
UF C88 2A driver – 30.1K
MPP1 1xCell – 35.2K
UltraOK 2A driver – 37.1K
Jacob A60 – 41K
MPP1 on Gladiator with 4x cells – 53.1K
Crelant 7G5 V1 – 60.2K

The best C8 I’ve had measured 30k, my Jacob A60 is 51k, and the new Maxtoch SN6X-2S is 73k. These Maxtochs (2S) seem to vary a little between 67 and 73k - probably depending on lux meter/test conditions.

Here is another Maxtoch $65-69 light - the limited edition big head version of the maxtoch 2S above. This 2X has a 68mm head, is heavier at 442 gms (not for riflescope), but stock standard has an output of 87-92k lux, and mine modded produces 230k lux with still 73 minute runtime on panasonic 3100s. Even stock this torch would far surpass the MPP-1 for throw.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/MAXTOCH-SN6X-2X-Limited-Version-of-SN6X-2S-CREE-XM-L2-XML2-Hunting-LED-Flashlight-Upgrade/314381_1104700531.html

Well made and packaged lights. Be interesting to hear of other new and inexpensive throwers putting out 70+k lux.

+1 I’m in with you on this. The Solarforce MPP-1 still brings a smile on my face whenever I use it. Showed it to my dad for its basic throw capability once and he asked for one after a while. So I bought him one too. I guess it’s old school but the pencil-thin focused beam is almost like a white laser. The spot is tight and concentrated. It’s switch is reliable and the head fin features are immaculate in detail. Hard to find something like it in the mkt if it’s not already modded.

I did the same with getting a Solarforce L2N with an additional reverse clicky tailcap (that does not color match).

While there is nothing wrong with the light in terms of glaring defects, the tube is too wide so even protected cells rattle sideways, and the form factor is rather gratiuitous more than functional. At 20gms lighter I think I’ll stick to the P1 in the Solarforce line.