The Fabled Nichia 219B - still relevant?

dont get distracted by your feelings about someone else’s attempt to describe the beauty of the sw45k, in words

there is nothing cockamemy about the tint, color temperature, CRI and R9 levels, of the sw45k. And it Does look very White, given the right frame of reference, white balance… Not a spec of green tint to be found anywhere, at any brightness.

the 219b is still the reference against which I compare all others

even now, in this thead, we are comparing, in words, an N219b and yet another wanna be HighCRI… lol

a couple of my pictures could tell a thousand words, but I wont bore you repeating myself :wink:

Jon

You want this Tool AAA for the cost of shipping? I need to convert people from 219b and I’m not a fan of this clicky switch.

Nearly all LEDs all have a color bias within the CIE 1931 of some sort, and the magenta/rose tends to be preferable in the 4000K range. Pure white isn’t a term really used in industry, but I get the term usage in this context.

I’ll call it white then, no off colors like blue green yellow or orange just pure white, like I said before. The 351D is similar but with a slight yellow and I do mean ever so slightly yellow. If I shined the shaved 5k 351D on a wall and ask what you see you say it’s pure white. But when you compare it side by side to the 219B then you could tell it is slightly warmer. All I can tell you is don’t just take my word for it, try both and see for your self. Everyone is entitled to their preference but if you haven’t tried both how do you know for sure. I have played around with both for awhile now and still can’t decide which one I like better, their both good choices.

moderator the shave I did under this honeycomb TIR is higher cct than 219b but this one appears to be the exception. No yellow tinge like the one I did under C01S optic. Strange stuff but regardless shaved 351D is consistently good for me

@contractor Mine are in a reflector light and seemed to me around 4300k. Comparing it to a 4000k 351D it’s not as yellow and not as white as a domed 5k 351D. Djozz shaved a 5k 351C and tested it to be 4300k and thats about where Im guessing my shaved 5k 351D is at but I have noway to measure it for sure. But compared to the 219B it is slightly warmer by my eyes.
So would you say that with the tir their almost identical in tint?

You most likely have the lower d220 bin 4000K E21a.

Unfortunately Clemence now has the higher d240 bin in stock for the 4000K and 5000K. They are above the BBL on low and medium levels. Not nice. I’m a bit on a crusade against the d240 E21A.

However the d220 bins are more then fine. Eg. the 4500K seems to be bellow the BBL on all currents.

Left to right: Light shave LH351D - SMO, Close shave LH351D - frosted narrow TIR, Close shave LH351D honeycomb TIR, 219B sw45k 9080 - frosted narrow Carclo, 219B sw45k 9080 - SMO

What’s most surprising to me about the above pictures is the difference between the #2 and #3 beams. The LEDs are from the same tape and very closely shaved, both are TIR, but clearly the type of TIR and focus is causing pretty large variance.

I pm’d you my address, so I can take some photos in the format Im accustomed to. I use folded printer paper, line up warmest on left, iphone auto white balance, during the day (daylight ambient):

Color temperature of the LED and white balance of the camera each have an impact on the image, I always include a cool white light in my photos, as a reference

thanks for your photo, I increased the saturation and enlarged the labels, did not alter the tint

I was having a conversation with djozz and he filled me in about that… how the nature of a TIR can cause a visible shift in perceived temperature. And clearly in @contactcr’s beam shots, shaved emitters are clearly showing this too (the LED dome is an optic, after all).

It seems that a good many people attest to the Nichia 219B sw45k r9080 as a reference emitter for best CCT and CRI. I’m wondering — if you take a more efficient and powerful emitter with a color correction filter applied, would it still out perform (brightness, efficiency) and thus be preferable? The Samsung LH351D sure seems like a contender, especially with the right amount of dome shaving.

Was the 219B sw45k r9080 a ‘luck of the draw’ in LED production? That, akin to a fine wine, had the right lucky combination of materials selection and “conditions” in manufacture to achieve that result? And that intentionally trying to repeat it is like trying to repeat an excellent wine vintage — totally up to serendipity? Or… with manufacturers becoming more aware of the LED tint demands in commercial and enthusiast venues, that they’ll be able to find a way to recreate such a prized LED CCT + CRI?

Nah.

The SST-20 would be the best candidate if it were available dedomed from the start, as it is currently the only emitter(beside the E21A and Optilosis) to have R9080+ levels of color rendition.

If it was available in 5000k 95CRI variant, I think it would change a lot of stuff, especially available in good tint bins.

This is a super interesting thread to me.

Does this mean I have a problem? Haha.

Thanks everyone for contributing.

lol, I resemble that remark
for my entertainment, here is a supersaturated shot

tint above and below the BBL, thanks to maukka, pic is a link to his post

I always see people talking about the SS-T 20 Green tint and that's why I don't have anything yet with that led..

please tell me which lights comes with the SS-T 20 comes with the best tint available ( am interested in 3000k- 4000k no more)???

If I had to choose only one I choose the 4000k but I want flashlight with sst20 4000K with no green tint AT All

don't forget AM 100% nichia guy so please recommend me only the best please..

Thanks contractcr, to my eyes those two look identical. Very nice comparison, I have also seen TIR’s that shift to some completely odd ball tint. That’s pretty amazing how different TIR’s can make such a difference. It also amazes me how much the LH351D 5k changes to such a nice tint when shaved.
In jon_slider’s saturation pic of the “Mostly shaved LH351D, SMO reflector” it looks like it has a bit of green. I feel the closer its shaved also makes a difference in tint, I’m no expert but I see no green from shaving close with my samples in a SMO reflector.
Thanks for all the pics gentlemen, really educational.
I do feel that if more people tried the shaved LH351D it would become even more popular.
If I ever spend the time to figure out how to take tint comparison without looking completely different than what I see, I’ll post those up.
Djozz test with a shaved LH351C if anyone is interested. GB 351D closed. - #713 by djozz

word of the day
SuperSaturatedCaliFragiListicExpiAlyDosCious

I learned a new word today :smiley: .
So jon_slider when you are saturating the pics what exactly is that doing because I see nothing in person like in that pic above.
His pic looks close to what I see, the 219b looks pure white and the 351D looks slightly warmer both with a slight rosy tint. Just trying to figure out what the saturation pic does when I see nothing like that here.

With all the hype over the 219B sw45k it’s still way too cool for me personally. If there was an emitter that rosy at 3000-4000K I’d be all over it, but for now SST-20 and shaved LH351D do it for me for TIR and reflector lights respectively.

So in my picture all those tints are within probably ~600K CCT of each other (3975K~4600K -ISH)

The “mostly shaved” LH351D only looks green in comparison to the much lower DUV ones. If I only use that light by itself I cant notice any green at all. Also, the 219B SMO does look rosy cause it’s driven harder in single LED. The FW3A would have to be cranked up before it gets the “too rosy” (IMO) look.

1. should be slight above BBL (but >= 4500K)
  2. RIGHT on BBL (like nearly 0.0 duv, and right around 3975-4000K)
  3. slightly below BBL (but = 4490K)