- The Fake-Cree LED Awareness Thread - The new "low" in Budget lights.

A representative for Cree has stated that there is a high probability that this is a genuine Cree led. He was ofc not able to state this with 100% certainty based on the picture alone, but still… I was of the belief that is was easily a fake copy.

The one in post #908 above is definitely a fake. (Latticebright) The die is way to small to be a real XM-L, and square bond wire pads are visible.

I’m inclined to agree, but the direct quote from the Cree representative was “It looks like a Cree XML generation 1 high probability but it’s impossible to be 100% certain.”.

Oh the horror, if Cree themselves believes the fakes are genuine.

Just wondering, this is supposed to be XM-L2, but would like to ask if that’s genuine or a fake? (or the image is unclear…)

Today I got a Revtronic F30B flashlight, with this LED inside:

This is definitely not a genuine XM-L2. I'm not sure about the manufacturer and the type, but I'll test this LED in the next days to get the efficiency at binning conditions (350 or 700 mA 25 °C Tsp).

Nevertheless, the tint is surprisingly good and a clear white (approx 6000 K) without much color in it. But in this case it means also that the presence of the counterfeit LED can no longer be determined at the tint only.

Test of the in previous post shown unknown LED is now available, with very interesting and surprising results!

are this leds Fake Cree?

the picture is real( or super fake, i dunno, but 95% sure it’s real), and the 2nd picturn it appear to be fake

+1

The one in the 1st photo looks like genuine CREE XM-L2 (99) but the one in the 2nd photo is fake XP-E(100)

Could use some help with this one:

Does that look like a genuine XP-E ?

It misses the third ESD wire at the side and the brown area around the bond wires on the die looks unfamiliar too.

My verdict: fake

It don’t like a genuine XP-E.

+1

Bummer… This emitter is from a flashlight model that was vetted by the community here at BLF as genuine XP-E in the past, so I guess either the whole product is a clone, or the manufacturer started using fake emitters.

Many thanks for the help guys.

What is the flashlight brand & model?

SingFire SF-348.
I posted a new thread here asking for suggestions on flashlights with similar specs but a real CREE emitter.

If its a genuine SF-348 it should be a real Cree XP-E. (i have not seen one up close to have a look at the LED, as all i have is the BLF special edition ones with the Nichia 219 emitters in them. Maybe another member may be able to chime in on that one.

hi guys,

i have recently bought a bike Flash light that says that it Comes with two cree xm-l2 LEDs . After i read the forum i saw that mines are maybe fakes but didnt have seen any fakes that good. As you can see square contacts and the dots are more-pronounced.what do you Thing? are they real?!!

thanks…

It does look like a Latticebright XM2, (their copy of theXM-L2) I have a light with one in it and it has the same more-pronounced surface dots as the ones in your photo does. Though this version of the LB copy seems to be a bit better tinted than their fake copies of the XM-L, XP-G, XP-E emitters.

i think it’s fake, but a good one, performance is not much lower than real one, not sure about the beam