- The Fake-Cree LED Awareness Thread - The new "low" in Budget lights.

P60 module from DX
Cree or copy?
note the bad silicon glue under the emitter,
now is like solder on the pill lol

I say genuine Cree leds in the above two posts!?

thanks djozz,you think yes?
I had suspect because the die seem a bit smaller than usually.
can be this a new stock release from Cree?
plus not Cree label on stars
bought this 1 months ago…

The Cree XP-E should have a round hole in the corner of the conductive traces. In the picture (top left) of hideehoo I see a square one, the LB fakes that I know have such a square hole. The same characteristic I’ve just spotted on XM-L’s (Cree original vs. LatticeBright), but sometimes it’s hard to distinguish. If that’s a reliable criterion, I would say the P60 XM-L is LB, too.
P.S.: The Gearbest cameo SK68 are known to have fake Cree, usually from LB (I switched the emitter of mine some time ago).

For me this is a good copy but is not CREE.

damn. they really can fake everything.

I assume that is the same story for the led of my two wf504b
don’t know…

AND THEIR ‘XP-G’ version

I can see square Bond-wire pads, meaning it is the Latticebright Cree knock off. The bond wire pads are the best identifier so far that i have found to determine a real Cree emitter versus the Latticebright (LB) fake. Genuine Cree emitters have round wire to die bases, while those on LB leds are square. ( also the die looks smaller than a genuine Cree XM-L, as the LB fakes have that smaller die.

That looks like a LB fake. I can see the odd border around the die & square Bond-wire pads in your photo. (i too have one of those, and in my tests that it draws nearly 40 % more amps to achieve the same Lumens as a real Cree XP-E.

Thank you DBSAR for the support and others friends
I have several budgetlight and before never know this situation.
so the chinese have cheat me many times…
this is another led?

real Cree XP-E warm white?

That XM-L U2 looks genuine as the die is bigger than the LB fakes, and its hard to see in that photo but the bond wire bases look round.
The XP-E i[m unsure as i don’t have a Cree XP-E W/W to compare it to.

Thanks Den
sorry I don’t know tecnical word English.
what you mean for round/square Bond-wire pads?
can you indicate with an arrow on the photo?

The bond wire pads are where the thin gold fine wire strands under the dome of the LED connect to the LED die, ( in an XML there are three near the edge) the genuine Cree LEDs have a round connection pad, while the LB fakes have a square pad mount for the wires. (the gold pad is square)
if you look closely at this photo below you can see the pads under the thin wires of the Cree and LB are diffent:

Is there any report of the fake XPL? I am considering to buy a few pieces of XPL. Whether the Cree XPL is also has the round bond wire pads?

i have not heard of a clone or a fake of the Cree XP-L as of yet, (so far its been mostly the XM-L , XM-L2 , XP-G, and XP-E fakes found in the cheaper generic (mostly the various ultrafire branded & Skyray copied lights that been copied by the Latticebright brand.

Thanks Den
I hope Chinese didn’t copy also this particular…

These have bluish tint,wonder if fake or not?

Led4power, IMHO those are fake , they have square wire bases and the corners of the die look whiteish and the Cree corners look darker as seen in the comparison picture side by side

That was rhetorical question,to my knowledge,CREE never had XM-L royal blue for sale.

Definitely looks like a fake Cree, ( smaller die like the LB XM-L clone, square bond-wire pads, smooth substrate dome coating, all the indications that its a LB blue fake XM-L.