The Legendary BLF Integrating Sphere starts here! (Delivered)

Yea no problem making more. If they printed fast I would have gone crazy with selection. A trick I do for the odd sized lights is glue a sheet of printer paper to the back of some AL foil. Then when I need an odd size, I trace it on the paper, cut it out, and add it like a skirt to the head of the light. I use the adapter cup too so I don’t need to cut a perfect fit on the outside diameter.

Sawmaster (and others) - if your box got crushed badly, just let me know and I will send another. I think I am going to have more leftover boxes than takers on a second batch. Uline was minimum 25.

That’s a good idea, thanks. I may go that route, at least for lights that are very close to the existing cups. But what sort of price would you need for a few more cups, shipped?

I wouldn’t want anything more for printing more cups, shipping would probably be around $5.

Come on, it takes time and materials to make those things. I want 3 more please, so I’ve paypalled you some money. No rush, just next time you’re making them squeeze 3 more out for me please. :slight_smile:

Thanks again Josh. This is a neat system you’ve come up with here.

[quote=emarkd]

Ha, I know I said that. But you guys have all been so good to work with and members have voluntarily paid extra toward the project, so I would feel a little bad if I made money off of this situation.

emarkd, what sizes or shapes do you want? List at least 6 more :slight_smile:

I think the shipped sizes are 24mm, 32mm, 39mm. Plus a little tolerance.

That’s very generous of you. I’ll get back with you on some sizes sometime tomorrow. Thanks again!

Josh, I’m sure the other sphere will show up shortly. Perhaps the USPS has been trying to reduce their losses by studying and emulating Chinese shipping methods :open_mouth: I can straighten or repair the box, the next one might be OK (a different day and a different set of gorillas handling it) :stuck_out_tongue: Lets wait and see how everything goes.

Phil

I have a business trip all day tomorrow so I probably won’t be online again until late tomorrow or Thurs.

Any more of these available? Or, if not, any chance of another run?

Yep, check out post 414.

Awesome! If any of the 4 immediately available ones are still available, I’ll take one! If not, I can wait! Can you PM me PP info? Thanks!

Wow! :+1:

The Armytek seems about right. That light was rated theoretical LED lumens and not out the front. Everything I’ve read has between 450-550 lumens. I got 552 lumens from my homemade device- which if I’m not mistaken was a little on the high side. I think JohnnyMac and Selfbuilt did reviews of that light. I got 1206 from my HI, on my pipe bomb- and I trust a slightly lower reading a bit more.

Confirmed. So I’d personally like to start a little smaller to pick up AA/AAA lights and have an option every 3-4ish mm. My order for six new cups, if you insist, would be:

15, 18, 21, 28, 35, and then about a 45 for kind of a “maximum” through-hole size.

Thanks for the feedback. I didn’t know Armytek used LED lumens too, but I’m not terribly surprised to hear it. I always thought the light was a bit puny for its size, but its construction+programmability sold me on it anyway. I quite like it.

Honestly Zebras are damn hard to measure anyway because of the PID. I tried to get a “maximum” value from mine by cooling them down a bit and then reading quickly. My Zebra numbers definitely aren’t stabilized outputs at 30 seconds like the ansi standard requires, because by the time 30 seconds has passed they’re dropping in output. So I think getting anywhere near the stated amount from a Zebralight is a win.

I really like this system Josh has devised here. Its well made, works great together and I can easily get repeatable results unlike my Amazon box I built. Its just a matter of getting the calibration nailed down I guess. And I hope that we can all get our spheres calibrated in a similar way because having a standard measuring device across lots of people was part of the original goal here. I’m really not sure how that part works out if I’ve got my own calibration and Dale has his, and etc, etc… If I sent my lights to Dale and he put them in his sphere would he still come up with the same numbers I’m getting since we have divergent calibrations now?

I did some testing with my sphere last night. I agree with everyone else that the product is top notch. I found “Dale’s Cal” to get my Zebralights within a couple % of their rated outputs and my Olights within a few lumens, the other cals were 10-15% lower. Like emarkd I noticed that the ZLs never really stabilize and are continuously ticking down in minute increments. The biggest discrepancy was that my Thorfire C8s only seems to be coming in at about 570 lumens instead of the claimed 900, but it was a tad too big for the largest cup (and too small to not use any cup) we’ll see if it gets better when I make an adapter.

I like the idea of more cups, but I think I can make Joshk’s suggestion of gluing some foil to some chipboard (cereal box) and tracing and making my own inserts.

I was just playing around last night but sometime I’ll get around to making a spreadsheet for all the lights that I have and record measurements under test conditions.

Thanks again Joshk this has been a great project.

1. arrived in perfect shape :smiley: but no time to play tonight :disappointed:

Phil