The Legendary BLF Integrating Sphere starts here! (Delivered)

Best half-sphere I found (large & cheap) “was the one 12” one at JoAnn fabrics”:http://www.joann.com/smoothfoam-12-inch-half-ball/12384335.html#q=Foam%2Bball&prefn1=prod_type&sz=36&start=37&prefv1=Product (even bought it locally).

Here’s the pic I mentioned. I was first tipped off that my HS1010 was grossly in error when trying to measure throw of my modded Courui.

I bought my LX1330B from a guy on Ebay shipping from MD. He had 300 of them selling at $18 including shipping. Not sure if he still has any. Guess I could check.

EDIT: The Ebay guy still has some but changed listing price with separated shipping. Still about $18. I’d jump on these if your looking for a luxmeter!

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Light-Meter-Digital-Light-Meter-200K-Lux-Model-LX1330B-/131773025146?nav=SEARCH

-Garry

Gary, I also use the LX1330B… pretty sure it’s what manxbuggy1, TomE, and Richard use as well since manxbuggy1 and rdrfronty built all ours.

I’m also interested in getting in on this. My concern is getting the most accurate reading from a wide range of lights. So what if we do two sizes and two separate calibrations? One for small lights and one for large lights? This may give more accurate readings and more options. If someone just needed the small one they’d get it. Then later if they needed a large one they could purchase the parts and just recalibrate?

I must admit interest, yet without commitment.
See what a working prototype works like

Jo-Anne’s Fabric was going to take $16 from me, that is until I read this thread.
A Calibrated BLF Sphere! Well worth the wait.

Please make sure that a prototype is tested for:

*quality of integration
*correct range
*variation of the multiplier for different shapes/size/textures of the flashlights measured.

See Garrybunk’s integrating sphere thread for simple testing methods.

People should not get the wrong idea that a calibrated integrating sphere is equal to a highly accurate integrating sphere.

What! No NIST Cert! OK Maybe calibrated is to strong of a term. No doubt though it will be more accurate than what I was going to cobble together. It would add some credibility if a reviewer tests lumens with a BLF sphere that is widely used and accepted.

SawMaster, yes we need to increase the size, however like the link you posted, they get spendy fast. That one you posted is $22 for 1 sphere before shipping. Keep looking though.

@Dutcheee I think that is a great idea.

What do others think? My first concern is the beast will smash the sphere the first chance it got. idk.

Well if there is trust in it already that is good. It’s so big though…

Yea the general consensus is larger is worth the extra price. We will be going a minimum of 10”.

By the time there is a prototype the parts will be delivered. Sure I will post the first build for comment, but one or two more interested people won’t trigger a whole new production run. You could be waiting a while for batch #2.

For those living in CONUS, this might be slightly cheaper: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Light-Meter-Digital-Light-Meter-200K-Lux-Model-LX1330B/131755240240?

Same eBay seller.

Agreed. Great price. I paid $29.95 for mine, two months ago.

Ran out of time today but a quick ’oogling shows several sources at around $10 per half ball ($20 per sphere). I will dig deeper tomorrow and find best prices as well as possible international marketers for same.

Phil

I found these locally
“12” styropor sphere”:Hobbywinkel in IJsselstein (Utrecht). Creatieve materialen en Workshops; Contactgegevens: Atelier Cre-Actief, Boerhaaveweg 9, 3401MN IJsselstein tel. 0646775677 info@cre-actief.nl Te bezoeken op afspraak.
For under $8.
Shipping is free in NL when ordering 8 or more. I could send them over to the US, but have to look into the fee. I can get 75% discount with fedex air shipping, but have to look into it if it is a cheaper option or not…

Thanks for searching. But that’s the worst picture possible, we wouldn’t really know what we were getting.

These are even cheaper, about $5,50 a piece
“12”“:http://www.goedkoop-bloemschikken.nl/styropor-piepschuim-isimomerk-oasis/1550537-oasis-styropor-bol-30-cm-deelbaar.html
I just sent them a quote for shipping to the US.
I can order one and make better pictures if needed, or ask the seller to do so.

I’m still looking on the US side.

Two pitfalls to watch for with the balls: Some are made from coarse foam for floral arrangements which will not be suitable- we need smooth, dense foam. Also remember we are looking for an internal size approximately 10” to 12” (254cm to 305 cm) and most balls advertise only the outside sizes.

Phil

Those ones for floral arrangements are solid, right? Don’t we need hollow spheres?