The lightbulb conspiracy - food for thought about how come your stuff stop working after 2 years!

Its like a "lifetime warranty" which often means until it breaks. That is the products "lifetime" not your lifetime.

This is similar to my 10 year old Pentium III dell computer still working but newly brought LGA775 motherboard & 500GB HDD failed within year.

May be this is why some people say - “Old is gold !”

Here’s an actual story that pertains the the Lightbulb Conspiracy.

A few months ago, we decided to call in a technician for our dryer. It had been squeaking for several months, slowly getting louder and louder. My brother and I tried taking it apart, but he didn’t want to do it very far. Thus, the technician. What he ended up doing was just cleaning out some lint…and replacing a belt that you might as well when your in there. Cost $150, huge ripoff, considering he only did a half hour of work. It’s funny though, we coulda bought a new dryer on craigslist for the same price. Though, it would’ve been an after 2000 dryer, the one we had was original to the condo(1978). And the repairman said something along the lines of “Yeah, these older dryer were actually engineered to be repaired. Nowadays, you just buy a new one, but they end up breaking in less than 5-8 years.”

I just hate that kind of stuff, because it just fills up our landfills with garbage. I know tools nowadays weren’t made as good as they were. My dad has a ton of tools in his garage, and he breaks one occasionaly. It’s almost always a newer tool/socket. He has quite a few of old metal pliers and screwdrivers that have perfect unmangled heads. Now, you buy a screwdriver, and with some heavy use, the head is a little stripped, and then starts stripping out screws.

Another thing is cars. Nowadays, cars have tons of plastic parts, which degrade over time, validated “here”:

Houses aren’t made as well too, but that’s because of enviromental reasons mainly. My friends grandma has a early 1900’s house, that has oldgrowth hardwood in it, not like todays farmed stuff. Because they grow it under optimal conditions, it’s not as dense, not as strong.

I think printers and related stuff are WAAYYYY overpriced too. It’s actually cheaper to buy a whole new printer than ink for inkjet printers! At least for brandname ink…

A conspiracy to limit light bulb life to 1000 hours, LOL. :smiley:

I agree planned obsolescence is the name of the game and its the customer who loses

The incandescent bulb is a bad example, because mostly longer life=less efficiency. Still, if a plant must pay fines just because its bulbs last longer, this is a conspiracy.
A printer not working after a predefined number of prints is a conspiracy.

I think there is a conspiracy to make us think there are conspiracies ...

Lets not blame the people who demand cheaper and cheaper crap....or the ones that want quality but won't pay for it ...yet believe somehow that's even possible.