The most compact 18650 flashlight ? (Brass beauty from CNQG)

I insisted…it’s not screwed but press fitted and a PITA to disassemble.
Here is the result for those who are interested :

I reply to myself to show you my handmade clip for this light :

Oh, with that closeup of the switch, it looks like it’s designed to unscrew from the back now, lifting the button’s retaining ring out. Can’t tell for sure, but usually those semicircle cutouts mean it can unscrew. On mine, that’s one piece so it unscrews from the battery side instead.

Love your clip X3. How is it attached with the springy looking things?

Yeah , I now think that it unscrews…My first attempt of making a clip left some marks on this “ring” and now it’s missaligned with the holes…So it turned ! But I don’t really want to try unscrewing it and leave some marks…

The clip is made from a big paperclip, and the “little spriny looking things” are some smaller paperclips bent to lock the clip in the holes.

This question came up again in another thread:

I’m just linking them together.

Strictly regarding smallest 18650 lights, I started pulling the “roll-of-coins” bunch from FT into a table:
table(table#posts).
||CNQ Brass|C20 DIY EDC|Convoy S5|Roche F12 DIY|Convoy S7| Convoy S3|Convoy S2|Convoy S4|
|Width|21| 23|23|23.5|23.5|24|24|24.2|
|Height|97|115|115|114.5|116|115|124|117.7|
|Volume|33.6k|47.8k|47.8k|49.7k|50.3k|52.0k|56.1k|54.1k|
|Weight|75 g|60 g|31 g|41 g|87 g|70 g|76 g|47 g|

Quick update on this light :

- clip is now made with springy steel (piano wire), stronger than paperclip steel

- emitter swapped for a XML2 T6 4C

- driver is a KD 7135*4 1520mA (good ML mode and no memory for me)

• 45° TIR optic slightly filed to fit in diameter/length (will do some pics/beamshots if anyone is interested)

(You will notice how well the patina has developped, gorgeous IMO…)
Along with a 3350mAh LG 18650, this make my perfect EDC for belt carrying on week-ends !
Light it on med, tail stand on a table and the nice flood beam is lighting up the entire room for 6 hours.

That looks fantastic. Where did you get the clip?

It’s homemade with thick 2mm piano wire and a pair of pliers…
I think this took around ten attempts to get the right bending…

It keeps its shape well enough? Do you mind posting a pic of how it’s attached at the tailcap?

I can clip it to my leather belt + jeans (about 6mm) and it still bent firmly against the brass tube when I remove it.
Piano wire is used to made springs :slight_smile:

Here are some macro pics to show how it’s fixed on the holes.

EDIT : the shape of the button is odd because I pushed it with a pen to disassemble it…I had to push really hard !

wow, that clip is a work of art. You should offer to sell them on the forum

Thanks for the compliment, but it would require to send me the tailcap before…and I don’t know if I could charge the time spent for real LOL
I spent maybe 3 hours standing in front of my workbench to have the good shape :Sp
Well worth the effort but still, reaaally a PITA :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree. I’m not a clip guy, but that looks really friggin’ good.

I’ll remember that if I need a good clip on a light that doesn’t have one. I have music wire left from model airplanes.

That was exactly why I had piano wire : RC airplane :slight_smile:

I use the clip from the dqg tiny 18650 3 (clicky). Ordered them directly from George. Awesome clips! I think around $3 but $8 shipping per package or such. Ordered a few to make it around $5 each.

The CNQG brass beauty is gorgeous and I wish I had one. My favorite compact 18650 is my Olight S20 Baton. They can be had for $35-$40. Do yourself a favor and increase your budget for one of these. I've had mine for a couple of years of near constant EDC and it's worth every penny.

LOL it’s been at least one year ago since I bought the brass beauty
But I have a S30 on the way to my mailbox