The RIP Emitter Thread

You lived a good life :') Ironically it still works...

looks like it burned from the outside in

I honestly don't know how it happened!

That second picture always gives me the chills looking at it.

You can de-dome it.

Yes, try dedoming, who knows, it may be just the dome…

Burned right into the die. Debris fallout when I lifted the dome off

How many amps did the flashlight put into the emitter?

Last I measured tailcap amps it was around ~2.4-2.7A on a stock 8*7135 105c w/ a Panasonic CGR18650E.

so 2.8 to 3.04A max, basically within spec so unless the light overheated this should not have happened

+1

How much thermal paste was there on the PCB when you pulled it out?

Looks like it (shorted) out and maybe the copper wire burned thru the top of the dome? Burn mark on the positive side?

There was a good amount, but not enough to prevent heat transfer to the pill

That's the wire insulation that melted off when I desoldered the leads (105c leads use plastic insulation)

Have you tried to use a blade and lightly scrape off that mess on top of the phosphor? The phosphor is actually fairly tough, if you are careful you might find that the mess you see is melted dome sitting on top and it just might come clean. Worth a shot huh?

I just tried doing that, and it's sticking on there real tight; any more force on it and I might as well pry the phosphor right off like a solder pad.

Reminds me of this:

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/12270

But mine happened because the light got left on inside a backpack full of clothes on high.

Make sure you do a “mouseover” to see the after image.

Had this XM-L T6 in a C8 on alu board a few weeks ago. Very very bright :bigsmile: blue :open_mouth: moonlight :frowning:
This pic is on a heatsink the last seconds when the dying star silently fade away and turns into a black hole…

You where a good one, never demanded high Voltage.
RIP

Next!

May it rest in peace

:beer: