The Spooky Tales Thread

:laughing:

And what would a spooky thread be without the Texas Marfa Lights?
I have looked for these in the old days. This is actually not all that far from the cliffs where the laughing takes place.
This was before they built the roadside viewing area. And long before digital cameras.

I never saw anything that I could attribute to being the real thing. I suspected car lights.
But, enough people have seen and photographed lights that do not seem to be related to the roads.
I have good friends who grew up in the area and have seen what they think is the real deal.
Also the lights were seen long before there were electric anything in these parts.
All the Best,
Jeff
A video and a few extra links

I had one other weird experience. This time involving flashlights, lol. Basically it a night with really light and broken cloudcover that was moving west to east. I had gone outside to let the dog out or something and was shining the light up in the sky. In one area there was something that was reflective, sort of like a stop sign is reflective. I could basically use any light and get a reflection. But it was hard to tell the distance or size, but if it was something the size of a stop sign I would have guessed less than 1500 ft, and probably less than that. But the clouds were all moving from west to east. This invistible but reflective thing stayed in the same position probably an hour. Not spooky, just something I couldn’t explain.

thank you, species8472, for posting about your UV.

it reminded me of using my ITT night vision monocular.
at the time i bought it, Generation 3 NV could not be
owned (legally) by private citizens, but one could
buy and own rejects from a military contract.
(mine had two dead pixels)

anyway…while with my amateur astronomy group,
i took a break, and wandered around with the NV.
i saw a big bear, or what looked like a green one (NV),
which stood up and walked. immediately, i thought
Bigfoot. but no, it was another amateur like me,
who went “off on his own” and lost a lens and was looking
on the ground for it (cannot ruin night vision using any light).
since it was Winter Time, he had lots of insulated clothing on.
back then, his hooded coat was the “fuzzy” kind which, given
his size, gave me six seconds of heart-pounding-what-is-that?

A few months after my mother had passed (early 2003) I was training (JKD) at a school in my neighborhood.
The school had an all glass front.
My instructor standing next to me (as well as my close friend and myself) saw the door open all the way and then close.
Middle of summer, no wind, bright and sunny out.
There was no way in hell someone could have run by and pushed the door open without us seeing them.
My instructor saw it just as I did and said `Did you see that? The door just opened on it`s own`!

Good description of the color.

Just after I typed the story I went to check a box trap I had set for a coon that ripped a large hole in the side of our shed. No coon but Mr. Opossum was in the trap. First one I have ever caught. Released him right there and watched him waddle away. They really are not cute.

What are you using for bait? i have one ripping a hole in a dormer wall trying to get into my attic.

Awwww, they’re adorable! Soft like bunnies, too.

I had one crawl into a clear plastic garbage bag for recycling (he was licking out carfood cans, yecch), and had his nose pressed hard up against the plastic. Didn’t want him to asphyxiate, so got another bag and was transferring cans from one to another. Finally emptied the cans, and scooped him up and out of the bag. He didn’t quite play dead, but just kinda stared at me as I was petting him. No growling, no nuttin’.

Next-door neighbor (whose stoop I was sitting on doing the can-transfer) came home and crossed the street from where he parked, probably thought I was petting a cat… ’til he saw the critter. “Wot da Hell is that?!?” :laughing:

Kept petting the critter as I was talking, ’til I paused for whatever reason, then the critter saw his chance and make a waddle for it, slipped through the gap between gate and pole.

Hell, I used to feed ’em when they’d come around. Extra catfood so they could get some, etc. They’re tick-magnets, and pick ’em off and eat ’em like grapes, so help to keep the tick population down. Plus, they have a reeeeeeally low senescence, and only live 2, maybe 3yrs. Might as well make their time here that much happier…

Peanut butter. Smeared on the top and bottom of the trigger plate.

I had this weird dream that I was eating a giant marshmallow, and when I woke up -

My pillow was gone !