The Sun - Flooder or Thrower?

“what do you mean my flashlight expands and engulfs three planets when the power source runs out of hydrogen!?”

I told you those fusion batteries were dangerous!

Too bad you can’t use it at night

Too hot to hold in your hand. Better to carry it closer to Uranus.

NadzonFire brand

Dealextreme has it for half price but it’ll take a couple months before you get it.

Could i get the SMALL SUN instead?

Recoil (flame) thrower design rules:

And I’m thinking, to God, the Sun is like a Maglite Solitaire, just a drop in the bucket to Him.

Imagine the batteries needed to pump out that much power ........ :~

Yeah, in it’s constant current phase run time is about 10 billion years!

Flooder or thrower - depends on your definition. I’d say it’s a flooder because of the wide emission angle, and it’s a thrower, because it throws well.

“Spot” intensity: 3 * 10^27 cd.
That is 1.1 * 10^14 m of NEMA-throw, or 720 times the distance to earth, or 18 times the distance to Pluto.

Flux is indeed 3.7 * 10^28 lm.

We had a thread like this already: /node/5881

I saw the rays shining through the clouds, so I snapped that pic driving home. Just made me think… I didn’t even read that other thread, the title was rather vague.

Great shot! I thought you just snapped it off the internet.

If one had the ability to capture light, store it and release it at will…

I’d be a poor man

Waterproof to any depth, it will also boil the water out of all oceans (included at no extra charge)

Someone should try to put an aspheric head on it. It would redefine the definition of laser.

One does. Photovoltaic panel connected to battery connected to switch connected to LED. Store Light as chemical energy, release light from stored chemical energy. At will.

PPtk

While that is true, I meant something else entirely. I’ll give you an example.

It is a sunny day, 35 degrees celcius, blazing hot.

I put my capture device on my balcony for 1 hour to collect the light.

When night falls, I can either release the same brightness for 1 hour or release lower brightness for longer.

I would also like to unleash the 1 hours worth in 5 seconds, but we all know that isn’t realistic (since the bulb would have to be insanely bright).

I have come to the realisation that i want more efficient solar panels. At the moment i have a small solar panel which has a 20% efficiency. It’s not bad for current technology, but for my uses it doesn’t do much.

Magnifying glass & ant pile - it’s been done, or so I’ve heard. 0:)