The switch killer aka "Single TR-J18 thrower" with MT-G2

Was out with the light yesterday, using Soshine 26650, not the best batteries for extreme current, but plenty bright for most. No issues with the new switch so far. The light does not throw as well as my my 3x XP-G2 (2-dedomed) SRK in terms of throw, but light output is pretty good.

Ill be back with more measurements with some high current cells. I can say I am seeing 8A+++ to the emitter.. J)

Sorry to say, I haven’t bought the lower version as yet. After stopping incandescent, mag mods, I had one tall switch lying around so stuck it in a C8 tailcap. Will have to order some and see what happens. Thanks for the information.

My apologies eebowler, I just pulled out my remaining unused switches and they measure to the specs in the product's PDF file. I was thinking of a different case. So to be clear, the product that eebowler linked to is accurately described.

They are nice all copper electrical component internals. I learned about them originally from O-L. He has a thread around here were he mods one. I have only pushed them to 6.3 amps at about 7 volts so far. They show no signs of distress.

8+ amps? Nice. I've yet to see the MT-G2 past 6.3 amps.

You may want to try dedoming it. It probably still won't throw like the xpg light you mention, but it will have a more typical beam patter, better throw, and you may like the tint better. I feel the cri is better dedomed.

An MTG-2 at 9 amps is pretty good. The biggest issue is heat.

oddly my custom DD MTG2 C8 uses around ~6A on x2 IMR 18350 and the stock switch works fine.

I also tried x2 IMR 16340 on a surefire 6PDL with DD SST90 drop in, it uses ~10A and the stock switch still works, but you can tell the springs at the drop in and the tail cap are starting to burn. :open_mouth:

Well, when I said 8++++ amps I was being conservative.. 0:)

I have measured 9,78A at the emitter (going through the new switch) I have also seen above 10A at the tail. J)

I have also killed another spring.. But not in the switch.. :party: it was the "high current spring" on the driver side.. Now fixed with a new one that has been cooper braided.. No issues with that so far.. And I am still "only" using 22 awg wires.. To be honest. 10A to an MT-G2 is enough heat. Especially for this host.. :p

Not sure how well suited my DMM ires are for this type of high current. If im measuring up towards 9,8 amps to the emitter when using fairly fresh batteries. Its probably more than 10A at peak. J)

Battery time sucks... :D

After 10+ minutes of use, output is not that extreme anymore. But my batteries are only 2600mAh. Its these batteries from WB (bought at a lower price). Reviewed here by HKJ. . They are rated for up-towards 50A.. J)

Runtime is overrated.. Destroying springs is not.. :p

Okay, it was actually working, just not as well as it used too.

This did the trick it seems. Should have done it from the start, but at least now I know the limits of these springs are at around 10A.

Bought from fancyflashlights, and probably same spring as the largest one from intl-outdoor.

I have gone through one set of batteries with this setup.. At least used the batteries down to 3,5V, which did not take a very long time.. :p Im down to 4A on the tail then.

Is this the best host so far for mt-g2 direct-draw hookup? Just bypass the driver and straight works @ 6-8A?

Best? No.

-Switch. Needs to be replaced, and that might require some work if you want it to fit. (can be fixed fairly easily)

-No screws for securing the emitter (can be fixed fairly easy)

-Pill/head design. The pill can be screwed inside the head from both sides. In order for the emitter to sit nicely into the reflector you need to screw the pill so far towards the front of the light that the whole pill does not connect directly to the battery tube (there is not enough mass/threads inside the head) The threads between the head and pill are not that great in terms of heat transfer (a bit "slopply") so you want some pressure on the pill. In order to get that, the reflector has to apply force to the pil. But the reflector sits directly on top of the emitter, so you easily risk twisting off some of the dome looking material on top of the emitter (right beside the dome). Not directly the lights fault, but its an issue to be aware of. Especially since you want to apply some force/pressure to the pill.

So its certainly got some things that could have been better. But most lights have flaws..

Using 26650 is an advantage when direct driving an MT-G2. Large diameter head is and advantage. Its got lots of heat sinking fins, no "Fire" name or anything. Feels quite good in the hand. The anodizing is good for the price although quite glossy. It can tail stand better than most lights of this size. Easily available AR lens. And its 23$. Which makes it quite good value.

Here it is compared to a few other lights. :)