The Worthy "Budget" and Easily Moddable Single Cell 18650 Headlamp

Thanks finges :wink: I’m almost getting excited, because I think the headlamp I’m looking for is the H03R! Has bit more throw (smaller & brighter hot spot) and I’d predict more spill (less intense) than the H03. I’m very happy with my reflector based Fenix HL60 and the H03R should be similar, I predict.

The only thing I now need to find out is if I’d be able to fit a FET driver in there without too much trouble. Has anybody changed the driver on the H03/H03R? Any comments on where difficulties might lie?

Mmm, ok… not too nice.

I must say, the Xtar Warboy H3 and Skillhunt H03R has very similar features. The Warboy…

• Has better throw, and that with a U3 compared to the U4 of the H03R. Throw is important to me. With such a small reflector, there should always be enough spill, probably not something to worry about, spill that is.
  • Does not have a magnetized tailcap.
  • Has an AR coated lens.
  • Will be more expensive without a code.
  • Is bigger and probably heavier
  • Arguably has a less comfortable head strap compared to the H03R…
  • Has the switch mounted to the side which I think is less ergonomical than the H03Rs switch at the top.
  • Is questionable in how easy it is to mod…

…what do you guys think, Xtar Warboy vs Skillhunt H03R?

My favorite budget headlamp is the crelant ch10

There’s plenty of room once it’s opened;)

I’m worried about the thread lock… seems to be some nasty stuff on there. Makes things risky.

Yep…
I ruined my battery tube because of it, but i forgot to try heating it up… :person_facepalming:

There’s this kind of HC30 clone: Hotlight XP-G2 R5 White Light 18650 Outdoor Camping LED Flashlight and XP-L version: Hotlight XPL V5 White Light 18650 Outdoor Camping LED Flashlight. I remember seeing it modded somewhere to real 1000+ lm range with custom driver but I can not find it now. I believe the guy purchased it on ebay under some other name.

skilhunt H03 is a very nice lamp.
with coupon around 30$

you can swap the emitter by just looses 4 screws
to get on the driver you need a heat and a wise with protective wood to open the head

has a DTP MCPCB!

my short tube mod

Review

Emitter swap and AR glass

driver has a R082 you can mod

short tube mod

3 hours constant light at 500 Lumens plus 3 minutes turbo timer

Those are way overpriced on Banggood.
I got one (okay, with a modest XP-G2) for around $9 from AliExpress.
It’s not worth more either i.m.o.

Guys, thanks for the Awesome feedback. It seems like the only risk is to make sure the battery tube is not damaged (threads) when taking it off. Not sure if heat will always be full proof here. I’ll just have to get one and check it out myself.

What size is the driver PCB?

Do you have a link to the ar lens?

I only have the H2 it has a 20,5mm driver, plenty of room to fit a FET, not much mass for heat sinking though.

H03 driver board is about 21mm diameter.

Does anyone remember that little square shaped right angle light? Can’t seem to find that anymore.

Sunwayman L10A & L10R?

Are you thinking of this one :

Nice Review & Modding/Fixing by will34 here

17x1 mm lens from my Jetbeam Jet-1 MK fits

Can be ordered on Kaidomain as well
http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S023866.16_9mm-x-1_0mm-Double-Multilayer-Coated-Water-White-Glass

Yes, thats the one I was thinking. I saw the Sunwayled light, which was close, but the Lumzoo was the one. Thanks!

Thanks!