This Cheap 405nm UV light, is it adequate?

I would like to have a great UV light, but until you guys figure out a GB on a really good one, what do you think of this $7.27 one, will I find it fairly useful as a cheap one to play with, and see what they do, since I have never actually seen one or used one? I’m interested in the scorpions and checking money. Should I use goggles?

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_96075.html

Ultrafire 501B CREE Q5 Purple Light Ultraviolet 405nm UV

No opinions, speculations, or guesses, at all?

search 21 LED UV light on ebay.

Some interesting threads:
https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/2218
https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/28621
https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/30073

In case interest in 365nm, KD’s 365nm 18650 , KD’s 365nm 14500 . As discussed in threads, may be not as good as IOS’s 365nm or more expensive one like LedEngin or Nichia.

But none of those links tell me anything about this light.

I assume that this light isn’t very good, but I’m just wondering if it is worth the 7 dollars, until I find a really good one, preferably through a group buy here.

Is 405 good for playing around with, while waiting for a 365?

I would call it more purple than UV. A good pair of UV blocking glasses (sunglasses) should wipe out most of the visible light going to your eyes, leaving only whatever is fluorescing for you to see. (at this wavelength it won’t be much)

Just remember that you’ll get what you pay for. A cheap $7 light. UV LEDS are relatively expensive as compared to other LEDS. 405nm is not that good of a wave length, if it is accurately depicted and advertised.

The thing is that I have a $3.00 coupon to use, and this is the only thing that I can afford right now, unless it won’t do me any good at all.

As long as this one is adequate for me to play with and try out, and learn about what it is supposed to do, then it can help prepare me for the $25.00 to $50.00 version that will come later, assuming that a UV light ends up having any appeal for me at all.

I guess I’m asking if this will get me started, or will it just be a total waste.

Recommendations on cheap UV glasses?

The easiest way to find a set of glasses involves a 385-405nm light. Go to your local thrift store/goodwill and try on one pair of sunglasses one after another, with your light is pointed at something nearby (try not to look into the emitter, it won’t kill you, but it isn’t that healthy either. If you want more info, talk to hank.) a good set of UV blocking shades should reduce the amount of visible light coming from the flashlight into your eyes considerably.

Is the light worth it? Up to you. there are much better lights out there, at a lower wavelength at a better cost. http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/convoy-s2-365nm-flashlight/330416_32253247215.html

Wow, that light looks to be a good buy.

I will have to keep searching GearBest for something to spend my coupon on.

Do you suggest single mode, or 3 mode for that light?

I remember one time a fellow CPFer had a really low nm (365nm) Arc-AAA, for the specific purpose of highlighting accents in currency. IIRC this light was not cheap, in the$45 ball park. He lent it to me for an evening and I was using it to just flash around and glow stuff, charging watch lume…etc. I also had a much cheaper showerhead light in the ~400nm ball park and to my surprise the ~400nm light was “more fun” to play around with… glowing stuff around me. The 400nm was also a better light for glow charging watch dials. BUT the 365nm light was FAR superior illuminating thread fibers and hidden details in currency.

I think its because the 400nm emitted much more light in the visible spectrum… at least to my eyes.

So for playing around outdoors in the desert looking for scorpions, perhaps the 405 light is worth it?

I don't know the answer to your question, but I would guess 405 will probably fluoresce many substances. I have a 445 laser that cause a lot of stuff to fluoresce. My wife does some forensics work. She uses 2 different lights. One that emits in the range of 395 to 425nm (violet) to find blood and another 430 to 479nm (blue) to find urine, semen, saliva and potentially other fluids such as sweat.

A 405nm should emit a range of frequencies with 405 being the peak output.

I also have several cheap UV lights, but I don't know their actual frequencies. The cheap 395nm seems to fluoresce most things better than my more expensive 365nm light.

We have a variety of scorpions out here that are not deadly and are quite small. They don't stand much under UV. They appear to be faint off-white under UV. Very easy to miss in my opinion. Maybe I just don't have any good UV lights yet. I've never had proper glasses around when I found them though. So maybe that would help.

Sorry, probably doesn't help.

Remember that with my coupon the light is only 4 dollars and change, and you are making me think that it is worth buying as a light to break the ice, and play with, I prefer to pick up a little familiarization before trying to find the more expensive/quality version of something that is new to me.

For $4+ I don’t see why not, if you’re only going for intro into UV. You get a reasonable host at least, and the emitter should still demonstrate some UV characteristics.

A good option IMO would be to get those new chinese 365nm emitter, they’re going ebay for around $10 for 2, and mod it into any of your existing light. Our member djozz had tested it and confirmed it does give off 365nm, with the drawback only being lower output vs expensive emitters.

405nm is NOT UV therefore its just a purple light (close to the UV side of the spectrum but it is NOT UV)

365nm is a real UV light.

Do you want a UV light or do you want a purple light that might have some UV properties depending on luck of the draw. Also if you cant afford a $17 item then you really shouldn’t be spending your money to begin with…………

Spoken like a true CPF member…

I say just get the light. That light is a a P60 host, so you get the host which is normally about $5, and a p60 shell which is about $2, so the uv emitter and driver are just thrown in for free

Lol I actually am not a CPF member and I hate them. They only believe in surefire overpriced under delivered crap.

$17 is still a “budget” light and the light that was suggested is still a good, legit 365nm light. 405nm IS NOT UV!