Thorfire VG10 on sale again $9.99 at Amazon

Yay it works on my light. I have a Tank 007 light, whose memory mode is based on how long you leave the light ON, not off.

For this Vg10, memory is based on Off Time.

Thanks for the clarification. I will be keeping this light after all! It’s my first 18650!

I hear the battery is a Samsung cell. Does anyone know how the charger performs? Smart charger?

the battery charger is smart, full charged turned green. It look about more than 1 hour for full charge.

What is the best battery to use in the vg10 to maximize brightness? I only have flat top 30Qs. Too much for this light? Please advise. Thanks.

Hi Captainvideo. 30Q will be fine. The VG10 has a buck driver that limits current to 3 something amps. Pretty much any healthy cell will perform about the same. 2S cells might give a nice boost as the driver probably doesn't have enough voltage over head with 1S cells to properly regulate. Chances are though that was designed to limit current in the 3's because the emitter is on an aluminum base.

tim, that is a beautiful polished VG10! I have 2 of these on the way, and your pic has convinced me to strip/polish one of these right away.

30sec off is just what i tried as an example, as a suggestion to try to see if your light would retain memory. 10sec on time was all that was said with no indication of how long the light was turned off. My thought was it was getting turned right back on and it was changing mode.

One VG10 I got with the charger and battery. I peeled off the wrapper when I got it because it did not get the same rating as advertised. What I received is a purple LG, LGEBE11865. Supposedly 3000-3100mAh I think and my cell and charger got it to about 2750mAh on 3 tries. There is another thread on the Thorfire battery deal they had a little while back and what some received was hit ot miss, getting different brands under the wrapper. As for the charger, I do not need it and won’t put much trust into it. Chargers were also hit or miss in the in the battery/charger combo deal thread. Batteries I received in my Bat/chg combe were the Panasonic.

2 pack Thorfire 18650 3000mah protected battery plus charger

I bridged the current resistor on another one of these drivers. The first I added 2 R100’s to halve the resistance and got 3.75A, with a 30Q. This one I bridged the resistor pad (from a post you made in another thread), and I got the same reading. I don’t know if it was a soldering issue on the first one, or I hit the limit on what the driver can produce. I didn’t do a spring bypass on the latest one (FORGOT), but wouldn’t expect it to increase, significantly. The driver still performs correctly.

Thank WillyD, At first I did not like it until I strip, polish and add XP-L2 V5 E3 5000k tint with MTN FET+7135 2,105 lumen on my test with VTC6 I like it so much everywhere I go I take it with me. :smiley:

You guys are a bad influence I did not need another light.

Is the VG10 a decent thrower?

I got 14,325kcd 239M stock at 5m.

Huh?, the description says

“Tactical switch for momentary-on without making a sound. Drawback is not convenient to change modes but Mode Memory makes it up. ”

I thought tactical and momentary means that there is “no click” at all.
Push for ‘on’ let go for ‘off’’ right?

yeah, not reverse but different. Select mode then click it fully for on.

Is that good or bad?

I don’t have a good point of reference here. My current go-to thrower is Anker LC90 zoomie, but I’m looking for something a bit smaller while still utilizing an 18650 battery.

I think for the light this size it’s not bad and it affordable take 18650 or two cr123a battery
890 lumen 14,325kcd 239M on my test and the quality is very good too!

Thanks!

2 different things.

Reverse-clicky means it does nothing when half-pressed off (“offer than off”?), but when on, a half-press momentarily turns if off and the driver reads that to switch modes.

Forward-clicky means it does nothing different when on and half-pressed on (“onner than on”?), but when off, momentarily turns the light on. The driver doesn’t do anything different except if the time between “on”s is short enough to look like half-pressing on a reverse-clicky.

“Tactical” as far as switches usually means momentary-on, ie, forward-clicky. Sucks for multi-mode drivers, because it’s easy to change modes when you don’t want to. A half-press just means silent in that it doesn’t click as if full-pressed.

To do a flash’n’dash with a tactical light (especially with a remote switch), it’s easy with a FC switch, as you just half-press to light up your target and let go when done, silently. With a RC switch, you have to click it on, then click it off.

There’s no such thing as a silent FC or RC switch when fully-pressed. You can make it quieter by tweaking the springs and latching mechanism and whatever, but it won’t be silent (hence the “clicky” right in the name).

Remove the latch, and you might be able to make the switch momentary-on only, but it’d be the same mode of operation just like a remote switch. Press to turn it on, let go for off, no latch to keep it on without pressing.

Will the VG-10 stay on high mode until the battery dies or will it automatically step down to avoid overheating?

I have vg-10, it notifies low voltage on battery, by flashing…

Does anyone have an idea weather the driver is a buck driver or a linear regulator type thing? I’m thinking that the driver would work well with 4x NiMH cells if it’s a proper buck. Thanks. (Yes, I know it works with 2x cr123 cells however, our linear, nanjg drivers are also (sometimes) advertised as being able to run off of 2x cr123 cells. )