Thoughts on this Iron please

I looked very long and hard at one of the Hakko with the temp control on the iron much like the one that I just had melt. It was around $40 on Amazon it sounded great I liked the slight design difference. But it is said that most are fakes...

Whatever I do it will be tonight. Then I have to break down these sk98's and see what trash for parts are in them and order some that wi light them up.

LOL I almost forgot, my Panasonic 18650's came today I put 2 in the charger about 6 hours ago and they are still charging. I can't wait to see one in my original sk98... I had to send them a message, they left my battery cases out. They are on the packing slip.. I get containers from Walmart in the fishing supplies that have separated compartments just the right size for my batteries.

I have one of those RS branded ones, it’s an older model though so I’m not sure if the tip is the same. If it is it’s a very good unit, no kidding. Mines 8-10 years old and still works like new. It’s pretty heavy for its size, and I don’t remember where but there was a discussion about them on an electronic forum when I bought mine, supposedly the old model is well made. Mine iron is metal though, no plastic. If it’s the same then I get tips for Craftsman soldering irons for replacements from Sears, they hold up well and are available locally and on eBay.

Guess this means I’m going out to take a few pics.

-Michael

When I get finished with these 2 clones that arrived today the guys at work will be begging for them. Should be a decent amount brighter than the original I was lucky enough to get. I need Thermal paste and some 18650 battery sleeves and...well um this could go on and on...lol

Hey... What thermal paste do you guys recommend or use the most, also the tiny flimsy wires in some of these lights just seems wrong. In your own upgrades or mods what guage?

+1 This little sucker will do it! You don't need exact temp control just a hot iron and dwell time control. You kinda get a "feel" for it.

G'Day Terry,

I bought this after many members recommended it (you can get the US version from them ie HobbyKing):

Soldering Station with Adjustable Heat Range with AUS Plug | HobbyKing

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24789__Soldering_Station_with_Adjustable_Heat_Range_with_AUS_plug.html

That temp controlled Soldering Station is highly recommended by many members, see:

Hakko clone soldering station from HobbyKing on sale right now | BudgetLightForum

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/31284

I have used it now for more than 1 year, & it is Very good.

It uses Hakko 900M compatible tips that are Very Good, Cheap, & easily available in a wide variety of shapes & sizes.

You can also buy spare parts for them very easily & cheaply (I have not needed any).

Best Regards,

George

Around six months ago I recommended one of these units to Don5946:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HAKKO-FX-951-fx951-Digital-Soldering-Station-set-kit-Electric-soldering-iron-set-kit-75W-Replace/32441796375.html

With regards to wire gauge, the wider the path the lesser the losses, though of course too thick wires may result impractical. Keep wires as short as possible, and select a resonable gauge which fits without issues and minimizes losses. I use ElectroDroid software which allows me to quickly calculate voltage drops across sections of copper/aluminium wires for given lenghts and current flows.

Cheers ^:)

That is a "clone" of the Hakko FX-951 station. It uses T12 tips.

Unfortunately Hakko T12 compatible tips are far more expensive than 900M tips.

Best Regards,

George

I am little off-topic but its about soldering … :wink:

What brand of flux do you use ?

Kester are Very good.

Best Regards,

George

Same here 63 <37. No one around here sells it so I always have to order it.

None better that I know of.

Oh and I orderd the Weller. As a Prime member I can retirn it for no reason at all of it does not fit my needs. I also ordered some new stronger magnifiers with better lighting. Lol I'm 48 now so need all the help I can get.

Genuine T12 tips for decent price: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-5pcs-lot-HAKKO-Soldering-Station-soldering-iron-tip-T12-Soldering-Iron-Tips-Solder-Tip/32331066490.html

Now, this is EXPENSIVE stuff: http://www.jbctools.com

And hell, HIGH quality. My iron's 3×1'5mm tip is about 30 years old and kicking ass. LMAO!

Cheers ^:)

Your old one was probably plastic. Mine is glass fibre reinforced plastic the same material they use on power tools. All solders are made out of this material even the Hakko

look what the nice mailman brought me today.

No luck this time though

They have not been taken apart yet and I can promise you they are total fakes. After I'm finished with them theu will blow the original..

Cree or not? I will have it open shortly.

Cree or not? I will have it open shortly.

I would guess fake most likely a lattice bright

Yep. They even stamped it right on the bottom of the star. And this guy is caught dead to rights. Ot even says Cree XML-T6 on one side of the housing. Normally I really don’t care. They were cheap and if I do my job right I will make money but,this guy is an Amazon Prime dealer and has his stuff shipped from their warehouse. I pay too much money to Amazon to let it go…

Lol they will not post my reviw
So I’ve been on the phone fpr last 30 minites asking why their vendor can cheat me but I can’t wrote and prove that in my review

Sheese

One other thing on hese fake SK98’s I am measuring 20mm for both the board and the star. I’ve never measured my other one
No need to but I want to get the parts ordered tonight

I am late to the party looks like , but I have had really good results so far with this little station I got about 9 months ago. They also have a large selection of tips that seem to hold up well and many other items on their site.