Thrower for Hunting - Any Opinions?

Hi Guys!

First of all I am really sorry if I picked the wrong section. Second my English is not the best so please bear with me.

I am writing because I am kinda unsure which flashlight to get. I bought several torches from Aliexpress and I had in mind to use them for hunting (normal white color). But I am not really satisfied with the beam distance. The latest torch I bought was a UltraFire UF009 with the recoil led. The torch itself is really neat and well produced but the beam distance is for my use a little bit to short.

So I am asking you guys if you could give me any hints where to look and finding a torch with these specs:

- Beam Distance >200m

• Batteries 18650’s (How many is not crucial)

Weight,Color and Price don’t matter that much. I just want to get the most out of my money.
I would also consider building/modify existing torches with drop-ins if that would solve my problem the best way.

Again, I am really sorry if i picked the wrong section, but I gave my best to do not so.

Thanks !
Greetings from Austria,
Lukas

Welcome Lukas,

I have built a c8 with a red xpe-2 led that is driven at 1.4A on copper, and that works pretty well, according to the guys that have used them. The leds seem to be difficult to get hold of at the moment, RMM has some stock, not sure who else.

Apparently the Uniquefire 1505 is also a good host for this red light.

There are many white lights that will easily do 200m, a c8 is as good as any for a cheap price, the convoys are great quality for the money.

I am awaiting response from the guys on the forum about my dual light hope, a red and UV led in one light at a budget price, which would also be mainly for hunting…

Anyway, hope this helps,

Anton

There have been a number of threads about Maxtoch lights and hunting, e.g.:

Well if you really like throw u can get the olight M3XS-UT hahaha or the maxtoch m24 sniper for a little lesser

Another one, on the other end (small, cheap, but good) is a Jacob A60, if you can still find it. I thought I saw it mentioned that someone was still selling it. Maybe someone else can remember the thread.

It throws amazingly well, and is single 18650, but the beam is like a pencil beam (maybe you want that for hunting?).

I use an couple of the older versions of the Maxtoch M24 with white led. I have modded the Jacob A60 with the Luxeon deep red rebel but it’s only good to about 200 meters max.The JacobA60 as mentioned is hard to find and has a small hot spot. My best rifle mounted red is a custom made TR1200 and is good for any distances as I dare shoot at night.The Maxtoch M24 white is your best bet, for greater distance get the dedomed emitter. The down side of the dedome is a smaller hotspot.

Welcome
Olight flashlights come to mind that already have the high intensity XPL emitter
In order of throw:
M3XS-UT
M2X-UT
M23 Javelot
If you shop around I’ve seen them for less than the prices listed, maybe ask for a coupon code from gearbest or banggood if you want to go that route. Member M4DM4X here has a relationship with one of the vendors that might be able to get you a deal.

The Maxtoch M24 or SN6X-2X are both highly rated. I think Aliexpress is the only place to buy these right now

Maxtoch M24 available with or without the dedome option

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=80&product_id=365

The latest Maxtoch 2X with dedomed emitter produces 280kcd (more than 1km or throw distance), I believe that will suffice your need.

Btw we need to know about your budget too.

I have quite a few hunting lights and find that I like this one the best (and use it the most) if you want to mount on your rifle. Its a single cell light, is relatively compact, and throws well right out of the box. http://olightworld.us/product/m2x-utjavelot/
you will likley need to use an offset mount though to get some distance from the stock due to the larger reflector in this light.
http://olightworld.us/store/accessories/wm25-weapon-mount-1.html

Quite a few of the lights mentioned above are 2 cell lights and i have found that these are unwieldy when mounted on a firearm.

Talk to BLF member mudgripz, then get you a MaxToch :slight_smile:

When Olight gets their act together and ships this light with a Genuine XP-L HI (Domeless- Never Domed), I may just get one.

Their Factory De-Dome with the horrid Green tint has kept me from jumping thus far. - Even Vinh hates the tint on those.

The pics may make it look rather large, but it is not - It’s actually just a little thing as Throwers go - I like!

Thanks,
-Chuck

I agree, the beams a bit on the green side of neutral and as a result, this light spends most of its life mounted and is mostly used for hunting while my modified Jax Z1 running around 230kcd is used for most everything else long range (smaller, more throw…. but would not survive very long on the 300WSM), but when your counting points on antlers the colour tint doesn’t matter much anyways :wink:

I agree:-)

-Chuck

Uniquefire aspherics.

I have a couple maxed out iterations of these lights and while they are great for spotting game and even identifying it (if you have a second person to hold the light while you use the scope) they don’t make good weapon mounted lights, I have found them too heavy and large, the 26650 format means the tube does not fit standard mounts, and they will not last long on a large caliber rifle (once you fire it). Having said that i don’t own a 1505 and that might work.

The Maxtoch M24 Sniper (dedomed)

100 yards (HIGH)

200 yards (HIGH)

400 yards (HIGH)

400 yards (ENLARGED)

TN32 solves all your throwing problems.

Hi Guys!

Thank you so much for the answers. I have ordered now a Maxtoch 2X and M24 and the should arrive in 2 weeks. Can’t wait till I can test them on the next hunt.

Greets Lukas