"Throwiest" LED?

16.8v

This should do it.

Thanks SO much

This or this will be significantly smaller and lighter than what steve500 suggested.

You’re not wrong, it’d depending on the current draw of your LED you’re wanting to run, I didn’t want to suggest anything under-powered.

Why isn't there any talk on the newer Cree XP-L2? Since it is more efficient than the XPL-HI, shouldn't a de-domed one be able to throw farther than the XPL-HI same current draw? I'm currently considering either a de-domed XP-L2 or a de-domed Luminus SST-40, does anyone have a comparison of the two?

Yeah, but OP specifically said “no dedoming”
Yes a dedomed XP-L2 or SST40 will perform better.

Yeah, I've changed my mind now. I don't really mind the tint so that is no longer a problemo. Do you know which would get higher lux dedomed? I'm leaning on the SST-40 due to higher lumen output, but maybe I'm missing something

Are you still interested in cree LEDs only?
Because the black flat is still the best from Osram.
dedomed SST40 would be a good option if you want more lumens and still great throw.

Not just interested in Cree anymore. Haven't been able to find any lumen numbers on the Black Flat so I'll probably pass on it. The SST40 seems good but I might just wait until there are some tests on the XP-L2 before I decide, I'm in no hurry.

The black flat does about 800-900lm near max.
IIRC the SST40 has higher intensity than the XP L2 dedomed.

I can't thank you enough!

:+1: yw

Dedomed XPL2 is not a good performer. In the test you linked above it has a max luminance of only 125 cd/mm^2.

Some driver suggestions:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5A-DC-To-DC-CC-CV-Lithium-Battery-Step-Down-Module-Charging-Board-LED-Power-Converter/32799532951.html This XL4015 buck module was recommended above, though here is at the right price.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LM2577-Automatic-Boost-Buck-Converter-4-35V-to-1-25-25V-CC-CV-Voltage-Regulator/32692428892.html This one is XL6009 based, buck/boost so more flexible.

For driving the emitter via a 5V supply, take a look at this flashlight driver: LD29 @ lygte-info.dk

Available at FastTech ($5.31 with BLF coupon).

Cheers ^:)