ThruNite TN32 Review -100% Thrower

I started drooling halfway through the review.

Such a beautiful freaking light. There’s no way I could take one of these apart and mess with it.

Excellent review, FlashLion! I, too, was having visions of a new TN32 resting in my hands.

Excellent review, Love the pictures! Well done! :beer:

I cant say any more than the others. Thanks.

excellent review and stunning pictures… and outdoor beam shots is a plus!! :beer: :beer:
I wish all the review were all done like this :smiley:
unlike some people who got free light and do a half bake job presenting it without any beam shot or comparison shot :weary:
always enjoying your light review, can’t wait until you get another light to review :heart_eyes:
keep it coming :smiley:

A fantastic review that make me want one :*

Thanks guys!!

I like the beam shape of TN32. It gives really useful illumination at long range.
Dedomed LED will make the beam impressively focused,but maybe it will be not so useful for work.
Even though,trying TN32 with dedomed LED is very,very tempting :heart_eyes:

Excellent review! Thank you!

Impressive review of the ThruNite TN32. Suddenly my TN31 dont feel special anymore.

Nice review and great photos! They really can't do too much to improve on the TN31, so there's nothing radical here. I'm not sure how much the copper/chrome pill helps, unless they added more true volume. The design of the pill area with the mag ring doesn't make it ideal for high amps heat sinking. For a stock light, the TN32 is truly incredible, but compared to the mod'ed TN31's, the most interesting improvement is on the pill. Like I said, the reflector probably has not changed - nothing better out there, the driver is superb, and the UI is close to ideal for a high power light.

Guess one thing looks like they did, is on a mod'ed TN31 running at 6.0-6.5A to the LED, mode 5 is really close to mode 6 - not much difference. On the TN32, it looks like they are running it at those high amps stock, but made mode 5 lower.

If their website specs are correct, on the thrunite-store.com site, they have the weight of a TN31 at 452 grams while the TN32 is listed at 650 grams - big difference there...

Now if they only got rid of the LockTite on the threads, a de-domed upgrade would be easy to get it to 500 kcd.

I am using Tenergy 2600’s in my TN32. When running at level 5 (~1,100 lumens), the light trips out after about 2 hours. The light just shuts off because the batteries are in a series arrangement and one of the protected battery PCB’s trips out. The resting voltage on the other 2 batteries is about 3.35 volts, so I figure the PCB is tripping at ~2.75 volts. I do not like to have to pull the battery carrier and check the voltage every time I use this light. It would be so much nicer if this light had an integral volt meter that let me know my voltage when the light is running.

Otherwise, this light is excellent! It may have less throw that an SR95S-UT (slightly), but it puts out more usable light. (I can’t see a kilometer in the daytime, anymore!) you get more light levels and it is 2/3 the weight, loaded. Nowadays, my Olight sits on the shelf, next to the RC40.

I just do not like it when the TN32 shuts off without warning.

Very nice photos. Thanks for the review!

That’s an interesting idea, but I doubt the compressed spring would make a significant difference unless it was completely flattened, effectively making the current path much shorter. Were you able to make any measurements?

I am not sure I can explain it well in English.
The coils/turns of the spring are tightly pressed each other,so the path through the spring is shorter.
I tested it with a C8 light. Will be hard to test it in TN32.
There is an interesting thread on BLF Spring compression and current flow?

I believe the TN31/TN32 driver is true amp regulated, so lowering resistance of the springs won't increase output, but actually may increase runtime - I "think" the draw from the cells will be reduced to get the same level output to the LED. I've seen this behavior before, where I actually measured amps at the cells, and adding copper braiding to the springs lowered the amps but actual lumens output stayed the same.

I tried to measure the weight of this light.
I have only analog scale that can measure up to 500gr.
So I measured the head and the battery tube separately.
The battery tube with the battery holder weights 180gr.
I can’t measure the head well because it is heavier than 500gr,which means the light is heavier than the specified in the technical info,or they measured it without the battery carrier(50gr).

Empty Weight on my digital scale is 671 grams with the battery holder. My scale goes to 5000 grams or about 11 pounds maximum.

As the members posts noted the battery holder is short so the springs are fully compressed. Based on my early experience many protected button top batteries are too long to be installed in it. Tenergy protected cells are the shortest I have and fit fine, either flat top or button. As mentioned in an above post though I am not too sure of their capacity or quality. My next shortest protected cells are Soshine 3400 mAh button tops and I am ordering some additional ones as these are the longest cells that I can get to fit. I believe they are supposed to have Panasonic guts. I measure them as 68.4mm length though the seller lists them as 68.3mm. With my carrier as received these are the longest cells I can get in all three cell positions. This limits protected 18650 cell selection considerably.

Can any one tell me whether or not the battery holder can be shimmed or otherwise modified to accept longer cells or give me actual measured length of various protected cells so I have other alternatives for feeding this light. I note from the photos that the OP used Keepower cells. How long are those? The battery holder looks like it can handle either button top or flat top cells, just with the length limit noted. As the cells are used in series I do not want to try unprotected cells.

Keeppower 3400 flat or button top are 68.5~69mm length.
You can cut parts of the springs to free up some space,if you have tools.They are long enough to be cut.
This will not affect performance of the flashlight.
I don’t know why,but most flashlights are designed for unprotected cells even the manufacturers recommend using protected batteries.

I did end up shimming the battery holder successfully. I disassembled the holder, one end at a time, and found that I had some small stainless steel washers that made good spacers when placed on the stepped ends of the four rods that fit between the battery holder end plates. The washers I used had an I.D. of .180” or 4.5 mm and a thickness of close to .039” or 1 mm Using them on both ends of the battery holder extended it by just about 2 mm internally. Now it should be able to accept any 18650 battery length up to 70+ mm length which encompasses almost all of them that I know of. BTW one of the two special headed bolts used on the center shaft was not even finger tight so check this on your battery holder.

ThruNite was also contacted about the problem and is sending me a replacement battery holder from Singapore. No spares in the USA even though it seems to me like battery holders should be orderable accessories so light owners can order a spare to keep loaded with batteries for quick battery replacement. It seems to me that this would be a demand of emergency response personnel, cavers and others using these lights on the job and in hazardous environments.

Fenix with their battery tube extender kit for the TK75, TK61 and related lights is the only company that apparently has spare battery holders available as a standard orderable item. Seems like a dumb situation. About like buying a semi auto pistol and then being told that accessory magazines are not available. :open_mouth:

I’m buying one tomorrow ! Found one on craigslist for $100

Thanks

Great review, I really enjoyed reading it. This looks like a great candidate for my next buy.