Time is short, so I need to post this-ok it's done and run it's course. Thanks to everyone for the replies...

I didn’t know anything about the lathe incident but reading this thread reminds me how incredible this community is. Thanks for sharing your story, OL. And thanks for showing such grace, BLF.

Justin, your character shines through even on a printed page. I am one of many who feel that we have benefited from even such small contact as we have had with you. You are a man of integrity and substance. Whatever comes, you are in our thoughts. I would hope that might lend you some small extra feeling of being in the presence of friends as you face what may come.

RobK

There is nothing to worry about… :slight_smile:

Whatever you do Justin - you always have others in mind.

i wish you a easy life and a long one!

It has been said that a good enemy helps to forge good character; you have both.

Well obviously, to undo this karma, Dale is just going to have to make a free custom light for everyone who donated :slight_smile:
[J/k, if I need to say it]

Old-Lumens, we were never friends, but you always had my respect (and still do). Thanks for all your contributions.

Justin - please, I too gave what I thought was a significant contribution, and at the time, was a bit stunned on how it worked out, but it was my decision, not yours. I knew you were the absolute "best" with your hands so it was a risk on my part that I truly pondered over at the time.

Anyway, I love the way it's coming out! Totally enjoy following Dale's beauties come to life, so to me it was well worth it! I feel soo much better seeing all our small investments in good hands, and Dale was a perfect recipient. So, I know it's hard for you, but please, please -- don't worry, stop being concerned about it, it all worked out, no hard feelings anywhere. We all appreciate what you've done for this community, so know and understand you will always have our support!

It is quite telling that we still seem to view unconditional love as somehow conditional.

well, I guess being a relatively new member and not being around when this happened gives me a little outside perspective.

I’m the kind of person, probably like many others here at the forum, that constantly tries new hobbies. I dive into things head first without really thinking about it. Over the years I’ve had soo many dead ends when it comes to projects and new hobbies, and many great successes. And along the way many people have supported those hobbies by gifts, or even re-gifting things to me.

My parents tell me all the time how much they love getting gift for me, because to them there is always a chance that it is something that I will be very passionate about and will bring me alot of joy. But… they also know that 9/10 things are going to end up going nowhere and gifts end up eventually on ebay or being re-gifted. my wife… as much as it annoys her always ends up supporting my many whims. Because in the end there is absolutely no shame in trying something, there is no shame in taking a big leap of faith. There is no shame in falling flat on your face because you had too big of a dream.

Man… I’ve spent hundreds of dollars buying equipment to make my own knives… didn’t complete a single one. Spent thousands on equipment when I really got into astrophotography. That lasted about 2years. I could go on and on…

You know what bothers me most? I’ve always wanted to try blacksmithing and still haven’t done it.

So don’t worry about the lathe. Carve a notch in your belt and find some other fool hardy thing to try. Be proud that you tried something huge.
Be proud that your enthusiasm is more important to people than money.

Most people don’t live that way.

+1

+ 100. Justin its all good with us.
You have been… and always will be an inspiration to many of us here at BLF for your contributions, and as i said before am a proud owner of one of your amazing creations.

I don’t have much to add that hasn’t already been said except no worries about the lathe. I think most everyone agrees that they aren’t capable of doing everything.
My father can’t operate a screwdriver or change a light bulb, but somehow I had the intuition to hotrod old Chevy engines when I was 16 years old. Go figure. My mothers father was a master machinist, working for Pratt and Whitney. He made parts that flew on the space shuttle with tolerances to a millionths of an inch. Oddly my grandpa didn’t know jack squat about cars !
But I admit, I suck at math. Maybe it’s the fluoride in the toothpaste I don’t know.
Running a paper mill is my responsibility at work for 12 hours a day, and I still can’t figure out how to program those damn attiny chips or how to root my Android phone. That really pisses me off -but someday I’ll figure it out.
But I still admire the craftsmanship of my Tripple 50 #4 that Justin and Dale built. Maglite should be paying attention.